Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Ribbon, Or Not To Ribbon

Nice TJ! Very Wanderer-ish....
seafoam3.jpg

I finally ribboned one. I went with a Dark Brown mid-ribbon on this 4X Open Road...

OR_2.jpg

That's a nice one gt...I kind of wish now that I would have went with a bow like yours instead of the straight double bow I put on mine.
Yours looks fine. I like a good boxed bow mid-ribbon. Almost all my Works of Art are like that.
Here is Resistol's version of the Wanderer, I forget their model name. It is not quite as fancy as Stetson's...
reswan4-1.jpg

51Wanderer.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
That's a nice one gt...I kind of wish now that I would have went with a bow like yours instead of the straight double bow I put on mine.

Actually I think the bow design that you used looks GREAT! Its very reminiscent of bow designs used on 1930's Derbys. I have also seen similar bow designs in 2 inch ribbon used on soft hats from that time period.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
DOGMAN, Joshbru, Thanks guys. I really appreciate everyone's comments and feedback...I saw this old picture of a Stetson some time back and wanted to try and copy the ribbon and look. The double box bow, I saw on another hat and thought it would look good on an OR...but I really like the bow on the Wanderer that gt posted.....

Stetson Fedora crease 1940s.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
gtdean convinced me with the Wanderer pics...I switched out the box bow and replaced it with one that looks more like the bow on the Wanderer...I like this one better. I also tweaked the crown a little too. I gave it a tighter pinch and made the dents deeper...

OR_Wanderer_02.jpg

OR_Wanderer_01.jpg

OR_Wanderer_04.jpg

...I may need to tweak the bow a little.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
TJ - the Open Road looks really good with that width ribbon. I have a Stetson 25 with a similar size ribbon, which I really enjoy wearing. I'm surprised there are not more hats like this around; the narrow brim binding and 3/4 - 1 inch ribbon makes for a good combo, I think.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
gt, DJH, thanks guys. I really appreciate the feed back.

I agree David. I think the narrow brim binding and the 3/4-1 inch ribbon make for a sleek look...and as with ORs, Strats, and Playboys, the Wanderer is versatile. It can be worn with either dressy attire or with casual attire. I particularly like a contrasting ribbon with a brim binding that matches the hat color....I'd love to get hold of a vintage Wanderer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats