Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Ribbon, Or Not To Ribbon

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I can use some help here with a decision. I have this Knox 15 Westlite, (given to me by John Galt), which currently doesn't have a ribbon on it. Thanks to another generous lounger I have a few ribbons choices I can put on it. But the more I look at this hat, the more I like the no ribbon look. What do you guys think? Should I ribbon, or not ribbon?...

Knox_it.jpg

Knox_it_post.jpg

viclip

Practically Family
Hard to tell from the picture if there's any stitching showing from the sweat &/or the degree of smoothness of the break between crown & brim. If you've got "nothing to hide" then go for it!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If the stitching weren't so visible, I would totally understand going hat-commando and nixing the ribbon. But, as it is, I'd get a really thin ribbon of the same felt color or perhaps a beaded/leather band. Cover up the unmentionables, ya know :D.

Course, at the end of the day it's up to what YOU like, because chances are no one else around you knows has a clear enough picture of the typical hat to notice anything different. Sometimes a little stitching looks nice (a la Dobbs Gay Prince). Though now, I'm wondering if the ribbon, beyond just disguising the stitching, serves to protect the stitching from the environment (extending its service life).

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I like it, T. Seems to fit you.

But Tom and Alan make good points in that you can just tie something around it if you want, and take it off if you don't.

Landman

One Too Many
I also agree with Tom. It needs something. Horse hair bands can be a nice addition and easily swapped out. Below is a link to a store on EBay that sells some very nice horse hair bands. I've bought several from them and they have all been very well made. I prefer the ones without tassels for my Open Road style hats and the ones with tassels for my wider brim western hats.

http://stores.ebay.com/Knot-A-Tail/...ub=8630253&_sid=3154160&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys....I really like your thoughts on this. Actually, I do like the band that Tom has around his hat. Experimenting with different hat bands sounds like a pretty good idea to me. See, this is why I ask you guys for your thoughts and ideas ;)

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
I'm a fan of wide ribbons. But, for that hat on your head, I agree with the idea of a narrow leather band.

gear-guy

Practically Family
My thought is that if you are wearing it for casual or work not ribbon is fine, if for dress or dress casual then a ribbon is needed. It looks good now, but will it go with what you will be wearing? Oh and by the way as usual you look great in any hat. Smile

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Thanks Rick,

Got the leather and tools from Tandy in NO, LA. No big deal. Strap cutter, groove tool and stitching wheel for the various tasks and an awl, 2blunt nosed leather needles to pull the flax thread.

The grosgrain actually takes more skill, thought and practice. I was glad to have several references from FL to ease the learning curve a bit.

Fed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot