Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Today in History

Peacoat

Bartender
And today in history is the big one. President Kennedy was shot and killed. 11/22/63. What a loss. And only two days after he had announced the end of the Cuban Missile crisis. How fleeting fame.

That was on a Friday, 11/22/63. That weekend my girlfriend and I were both home from college. We stayed in my parents' house in the den with the blinds closed cuddled together watching the news all weekend. What a sad time that was.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
On this day in 1990, Margaret Thatcher was forced to leave, errr, I mean resigned as prime minister.
Resounding cheers could be heard across the length & breadth of the sceptred isle.

On this day in 1718, The pirate Edward Teach, better known as Blackbeard, was killed during an epic naval battle off the North Carolina coast. He was around 38 years of age.

On this day in 1990, Margaret Thatcher was forced to leave, errr, I mean resigned as prime minister.
Resounding cheers could be heard across the length & breadth of the sceptred isle....

Love or hate her (I'm not looking to debate that), she delivered one devastating line to George H Bush as noted here:

As Bush mulled over what to do in response to Saddam Hussein’s invasion of Kuwait in August 1990 – to repel the Iraqi leader militarily or not – Thatcher would tell Bush in an aside at an Aspen Institute conference, “Remember George, this is no time to go wobbly.”
Very Thatcher and very British - all in a great way - to this American.

Peacoat

Bartender
Today in 1963, Jack Ruby shot and killed Lee Harvey Oswald, JFK's alleged assassin, two days after JFK had been killed.

And today in 1971, D. B. Cooper parachuted from a Northwest Airlines flight with $200,000.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Today in 1947, the "Hollywood Ten" -- Alvah Bessie, Herbert Biberman, Lester Cole, Edward Dmytryk, Ring Lardner Jr., John Howard Lawson, Albert Maltz, Samuel Ornitz, Adrian Scott, and Dalton Trumbo, were found to be in contempt of Congress for refusing to acknowledge the authority of the political inquisitors of the House Un-American Activities Committee. Each man was fined $1000, and sentenced to six months to a year in prison.

HUAC chairman J. Parnell Thomas (R-New Jersey) would later serve prison time alongside Cole and Lardner, after newspaper columnist Drew Pearson revealed the full extent of his personal corruption.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Still unsolved - right? Also, saw a few special on it over the years, that had to be one scary *ss jump out of the back of that plane.

They found a decayed bundle of money some years back, buried in mud on a riverbank if I remember correctly. I'm pretty certain some of those serial numbers were identified as being taken in the robbery, but could be mis-remembering that. Other than those bills and a lot of speculation, nothing else was ever heard of Mr. Cooper.

Peacoat

Bartender
They found a decayed bundle of money some years back, buried in mud on a riverbank if I remember correctly. I'm pretty certain some of those serial numbers were identified as being taken in the robbery, but could be mis-remembering that. Other than those bills and a lot of speculation, nothing else was ever heard of Mr. Cooper.
Yes, that is accurate. Also saw that he has allegedly been identified and is living in California.

Peacoat

Bartender
This date in 1940, the Nazis began to force Warsaw's Jews to live in a walled ghetto. This was a little over a year after the invasion of Poland and the start of WWII.

In 1975 Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, a follower of Charles Manson, was found guilty of trying to assassinate President Ford. What fun times those were.

Peacoat

Bartender
This date in 1964 the spacecraft Mariner 4 launched—on its way to the first successful mission to Mars. Both my girlfriend and I were home from college for the long Thanksgiving weekend. Mariner 4 was the last thing on our minds. The shock of President Kennedy's assassination had worn off, and good days were ahead, or so we thought.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
On this date in 1934, the very first coast-to-coast broadcast of a professional football game hit the air, as NBC broadcast the Thanksgiving Day matchup between the Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears from University of Detroit Stadium, with Graham McNamee and Don Wilson at the microphones. While college football had long been a network radio attraction, the professional game was of no interest to broadcasters until Lions president George A. Richards -- also the owner of Detroit radio station WJR, an important NBC affliiate -- convinced the network that a game on Thanksgiving Day would be just the thing to catch the attention of a national audience. The game and the broadcast were both rousing successes, and the entire NFL media empire traces its origin to that one afternoon. (The Bears won, 19-16.)

Despite its historic significance, no recording of the broadcast is known to survive.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Today in 1939, the Soviet Union nullified it's non-aggression pact with Finland

In 1929, the Father of Motown, Berry Gordy, was born. Who'd have thought the man that brought us some of the greats, like Aretha Franklin, would also bring this monstrosity into the world - his son and grandson :crying face:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
On this day, in the entire state of Ohio in 1895, there were only two cars on the road, and the drivers of these two cars crashed into each other.
The first ever known “Mooning” recorded in history was on this day in 66 AD, when a Roman solider mooned Jewish pilgrims on their way to Jerusalem. This caused a riot, an over-response by the Roman military, and the death of thousands.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Still unsolved - right? Also, saw a few special on it over the years, that had to be one scary *ss jump out of the back of that plane.

I think it possible that he survived the jump; although the cash wasn't properly secured such as for an equipment jump,
so the bills most likely were scattered over the drop zone.

I think it possible that he survived the jump; although the cash wasn't properly secured such as for an equipment jump,
so the bills most likely were scattered over the drop zone.

If he did survive, he must have been frantically looking for all those scattered bills.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
If he did survive, he must have been frantically looking for all those scattered bills.

My guess is that he was an ex-para looking for a quick score, planned it all out:distance, time to exit plane,
likely terrain, and how much of the haul he'd probably be able to retain in a slip-ass jump.
A quarter of the load perhaps; nothing really properly fastened or tied down.
I hope he made it.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
On this day in 1898, C. S. Lewis, author, professor and lecturer, was born.
In 1929, Admiral Bird Leads the first expedition to fly over the South Pole.
And in 1963, LBJ formed the Warren Commission to investigate the death of JFK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy