Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Today in History

Peacoat

Bartender
And the second Beatles' thing is that on today's date in 1963, they released I Want To Hold Your Hand in Great Britain. They were already well known from their bar clubbing days in Europe and GB, but unknown in this country.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
On this day in 1898, C. S. Lewis, author, professor and lecturer, was born.
In 1929, Admiral Bird Leads the first expedition to fly over the South Pole.
And in 1963, LBJ formed the Warren Commission to investigate the death of JFK.

If memory serves right Lewis died the day JFK was assassinated, his passing to some extent momentarily obscured.

Peacoat

Bartender
Today in Montgomery, Alabama, in 1955, Rosa Parks was arrested for failing to give up her seat on that infamous bus * to a white man, thus unintentionally beginning the civil rights movement.
_________
* Bus number 2857 assigned to the Cleveland Avenue Route. It is now on display at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI.

Rosa Parks.jpg

Today in Montgomery, Alabama, in 1955, Rosa Parks was arrested for failing to give up her seat on that infamous bus * to a white man, thus unintentionally beginning the civil rights movement.
_________
* Bus number 2857 assigned to the Cleveland Avenue Route. It is now on display at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI.

View attachment 146601

Great moment in history and a wonderful tangible piece of history. My girlfriend's parents live a short drive away from that museum and I can't emphasize enough what a great Fedora Lounge museum it is. If you're ever in the area - really, really, really worth the visit.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Today in 1916, French commander Joseph Joffre was fired from his post as Commander in Chief of the French forces at the Somme.

In 1984, a plant owned by former chemical giant Union Carbide in Bhopal, India, leaked toxic gas killing up to 15,000 people

Peacoat

Bartender
Today in 1916, French commander Joseph Joffre was fired from his post as Commander in Chief of the French forces at the Somme.

Yes, he didn't do well at Verdun or at the Somme in 1916. But he is known for his successes earlier in the war. His armies defeated the Germans at the First Battle of the Marne in 1914, when he was able to stop the retreating allied armies and mount a successful offensive.

Later in the war he led an important mission to the United States to coordinate the war effort of the newly involved US.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Yes, he didn't do well at Verdun or at the Somme in 1916. But he is known for his successes earlier in the war. His armies defeated the Germans at the First Battle of the Marne in 1914, when he was able to stop the retreating allied armies and mount a successful offensive.

Later in the war he led an important mission to the United States to coordinate the war effort of the newly involved US.

If we're going to talk about Marne, let's not forget that the last German offensive of the war, which also occurred at Marne, was driven back ultimately by Ferfinand Fosch, leading to his becoming the Commander in Chief of Allied armies. By that time, Joffre was merely a distant memory

This website is the most comprehensive I have see. It discusses the original FBI evidence as well as the follow up investigation by Special Agent Carr in 2009 and the recent "Citizen Sleuths" team.

I have linked to a summary of the case. Additional tabs are at the top of the page.

https://citizensleuths.com/db-cooper-what-you-need-to-know.html
I know this is not for discussion in this thread but thanks for the link. I was told a few yrs back by someone "well versed" in the case that Cooper was originally Canadian most likely. And that if Cooper had a problematic situation requiring $200K the problem was not likely solved.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
On this day in 1872, the American merchant brigantine, Mary Celeste, was discovered adrift & abandoned (by the Canadian brigantine, Dei Gratia)
The Mary Celeste's supplies & cargo (1,701 barrels of denatured alcohol) were intact & the crew's belongings undisturbed. Neither the captain or crew were ever seen again & to this day, theories abound as to what happened.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Today in 771 Charlemane became ruler of the Frankish Empire.

Today in 1914 Germany founded the world's first military seaplane unit, which flew out of Belgium

Peacoat

Bartender
Four days ago in 1955 Rosa Parks was arrested in Montgomery, Alabama for failing to give up her seat to a white man. Today in 1955 the bus boycott, under the leadership of Dr. King, began in Montgomery.

The boycott lasted a little over a year when the ruling in Browder v. Gayle took effect. This decision by a three judge district court panel led to a decision by the Supreme Court that the segregated bus laws in Montgomery and Alabama were unconstitutional.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Raise your martini glasses with me in honor of this day in 1933, when the 21st Amendment did away with the nonsense of prohibition!

Raise your martini glasses with me one more time if you would, in celebration of the birth of movie director Fritz Lang, director of the tour de force known as Metropolis, who was born on this day in 1890

28338284-martini-toast.jpg

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
On this day in 2005, 'Brokeback Mountain' was premiered. Cowboys have never been the same since. :D

On this day in 1865, the 13th amendment to the U.S. constitution was ratified, officially ending slavery in America & in "any place suject to their jurisdiction"

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
On this day in 1941, a hustling St. Louis businessman named Donald Barnes and his assistant Bill DeWitt were sitting in a hotel room in New York putting final plans on an important presentation planned for Monday December 8th. Barnes owned a struggling, perpetually impoverished baseball team, the St. Louis Browns, and he had worked out a deal to move the ballclub to Los Angeles for the 1942 season, bringing the big leagues to the West Coast and guaranteeing himself and his associates a mountain of cash. Barnes and DeWitt came to New York to outline the proposal at the annual Major League Winter Meetings, and given that the Browns had long been a drag on the finances of the entire American League, they expected to receive easy approval. They'd come fully prepared to answer every possible question, bringing along a dummy 1942 schedule showing how the Eastern and Midwestern clubs could easily get to the Coast via the Santa Fe Superchief. Everything was under control, and friends in the league office had told Barnes that the deal was a cinch to be approved.

Then on Sunday, something happened, and suddenly easy coast-to-coast travel was no longer an option for any civilian. The Browns would stay in St. Louis for another twelve years of mixed results on the field and diminishing returns at the gate before moving -- to Baltimore.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Today in 1877, Thomas Edison made his now famous "Mary had a Little Lamb" recording

in 1969 on this day, the Hells Angels infamous antics at Altamont led to the death of Meredith Hunter

MissMittens

One Too Many
Today in 1917, the U.S. declared war on the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

On this day in 1931, the Nazis decreed that they would ensure "Nordic dominance" through forced sterilization of "undesirable" races, as was being performed in the U.S. at that time against Native American women. (A practice in the U.S that only ended in the 1990's)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy