Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Today in History

LizzieMaine

Bartender
apollo-5-web.jpg

"NEWS photo by Max Finkelstein taken off TV screen."

I bet it killed them to have to put "taken off TV screen" in that slugline.

Careful. Buzz is still out there.
I had the rare opportunity to "meet" Dr. Armstrong one time. I was at a small event where he was the keynote speaker. Later, during the reception, he was speaking with my Congresscritter, who I've spoken to on several occasions. I mustered up my courage and approached them, making eye contact with Rep. Turner. I spoke to him for a few minutes, but the best I could do with Dr. Armstrong was to smile and say, "Hi." Hell, it was thrilling to just get a nod and "Hi" back from him.

But I wanted to ask him what Kubrick was like in person.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

LizzieMaine

Bartender
33782-700x.jpg

All Jews with "non-Jewish" given names were required to use "Israel" or "Sara" as a middle name to further ensure they couldn't "pass as Aryan."

Marianne Wolff was one of the lucky ones. She and her brother escaped Germany via the "Kindertransport" to England, and later made her way to the US, where she grew up to become a respected pathologist at Columbia University. She is still alive and well and telling her story at the age of 91.

What happened in Germany is still within living memory. So how can people forget?

Woodtroll

One Too Many
33782-700x.jpg

All Jews with "non-Jewish" given names were required to use "Israel" or "Sara" as a middle name to further ensure they couldn't "pass as Aryan."

Marianne Wolff was one of the lucky ones. She and her brother escaped Germany via the "Kindertransport" to England, and later made her way to the US, where she grew up to become a respected pathologist at Columbia University. She is still alive and well and telling her story at the age of 91.

What happened in Germany is still within living memory. So how can people forget?

Indeed, you wonder how people can forget this massive tragedy. But most folks conveniently forget things that don't directly impact them, including Pearl Harbor, the 9/11 attacks, and a whole lot of other things that make me mad just to think about.

"Never Forget!" Well, some of us don't... but sadly many do.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
"Never Forget!" Well, some of us don't... but sadly many do.
There has always been those who deny the holocaust. When US soldiers liberated Buchenwald, General Eisenhower deliberately ordered that photographic evidence be established, adding that there will be, in the future, those who will claim that this never happened.

Even today, even with the overwhelming evidence, and that evidence depicted on television in programs like: "The World at War," they either deny it, or simply refuse to believe it. How Shakespeare got it so right when Shylock said: "For sufferance is the badge of all our tribe."

Peacoat

Bartender
The British Army's longest continuous operation, Operation Banner (1969-2007), ended today in 2007 as British troops withdrew from Northern Ireland, thus ending the Troubles. I thought it would never end. Let's hope it is truly over.

Milton Friedman
Born: July 31, 1912, Brooklyn, New York, NY
Died: November 16, 2006, San Francisco, CA

Milton Friedman was the twentieth century’s most prominent advocate of free markets. Born in 1912 to Jewish immigrants in New York City, he attended Rutgers University, where he earned his B.A. at the age of twenty. He went on to earn his M.A. from the University of Chicago in 1933 and his Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1946. In 1951 Friedman received the John Bates Clark Medal honoring economists under age forty for outstanding achievement. In 1976 he was awarded the Nobel Prize in economics for “his achievements in the field of consumption analysis, monetary history and theory, and for his demonstration of the complexity of stabilization policy.” Before that time he had served as an adviser to President Richard Nixon and was president of the American Economic Association in 1967. After retiring from the University of Chicago in 1977, Friedman became a senior research fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University.

From the Library of Economics and Liberty
Link to full piece: https://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/bios/Friedman.html

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
300px-Battle_of_Cedar_Creek_by_Kurz_%26_Allison.jpg

This month and all through Sept and Oct, the "Valley Campaign of 1864" Gen Phil Sheridan US Army of the Shenandoah, went head to head with Gen Jubal Early CSA Army of the Valley. Beginning in Jefferson County, WV and ending Oct 19th at Battle of Cedar Creek, VA. From that point on the Confederacy was never able to regain control of the Shenandoah Valley.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
300px-Battle_of_Cedar_Creek_by_Kurz_%26_Allison.jpg

This month and all through Sept and Oct, the "Valley Campaign of 1864" Gen Phil Sheridan US Army of the Shenandoah, went head to head with Gen Jubal Early CSA Army of the Valley. Beginning in Jefferson County, WV and ending Oct 19th at Battle of Cedar Creek, VA. From that point on the Confederacy was never able to regain control of the Shenandoah Valley.

:(:( Sad days for the folks who lived on this ground; it's hard to feed starving armies and starving families from the same pastures, smokehouses, and corn cribs - especially when most of those structures have been burned down.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Fifty years ago today, August 8th, 1969, the iconic zebra crossing photo of the Beatles was taken for the Abbey Road album cover.

Photographer Iain Macmillan took only six shots, of which the fifth was chosen for the cover.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/beatles-fans-abbey-road-50th-anniversary-1.5239884

I have always wondered about the man standing in the background to the right by the black vehicle, looking right at the group...

Here is the cover shot as used:

Abbey Road cover.jpg

Here is one of the other shots taken:

A-116-06comp.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21