Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toiletries of the Golden Era

Avalon

A-List Customer
Sounds good to me! Anyone know more about this?
boogie.gif

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I can start going through old magazines and listing ads and what year...as I always notice stuff like that anyhow.

Eventually we might see the 'earliest' year that something was advertised in.

I can slowly start doing this, but make no promises about how much I will get done until after the Queen Mary event in a months time.

Denise

Avalon

A-List Customer
I don't have much access to vintage magazines, but I'll help however I can. I have a 1926 McCall's and a 1949 Ladies Home Journal at home; I'll see what's advertised in them. Thanks! :)

texasgirl

One Too Many
I work in a library in an advertising agency and we have the "All American Ads" book series. What era do ya'll want? They start at 1900s to 1980s. They have a section beauty? I can post some of the ads :)

roots66

One of the Regulars
"Hello Gorgeous" book

I, too, recently stumbled upon this title after wondering whether there was such a book devoted to solely to vintage cosmetics ads. It's very cute, but I suppose "cute" is the operative word here 'cause it's in a rather small format, about 8" by 6". At 14 bucks or so it's definitely worth picking up if you're into this sort of thing, but most of the ads are reprinted so small that it's hard to read much of the copy.

chinatown

colleency said:
The Lux name is currently owned by Lever Brothers. I believe that they mostly sell the Lux brand outside of the U.S.

just browsing the forum, stumbled over this one from a while back, but in responce to this statement....
Thats correct.
my grandmother still to this day buys Lux soaps in Australia.
Ive used it at her place before, Doesnt smell all that wonderful though and it dries my skin out!!!!
:)

Poison

New in Town
Agree, on the dollar/discount store finds. There are always a few oldies to snatch up.
I completely forgot Bronners is a vintage find; I have loads of there items. (All Natural too!)
Vermont country store is always a good place to look for a gem.

Some ladies mentioned not being able to find pale powders. I remember Beauty stores carrying rice based powders and papers that were VERY pale and cheap. It won't be natural but it could be a good match.

Oh,and Glamourdaze made a post on skin spot lightening, (the active lightening aganet being lemon juice!)

lframe

One of the Regulars
There is a tiny shop I ran across in Charleston, SC. She has the most amazing selection of items I've ever seen! Her prices are so much more reasonable than Vermont Country Store. If you are searching for something, call her and see if she has it. Or, I can let you know when I'm running down next time (it's a 3 hour drive) and I'll see if she has it: http://www.goodscentsperfumes.com/AboutUs.htm

Hep Caterina

New in Town
ok, so here's the problem with "todays" beauty products: even the old brands like Lux,
Cashmeare and other "old" brands have changed their formulas, and most if not all have very udesirable ingredients in them now. I have dry skin and use to have big problems with commercially made soaps, shampoos and lotions, and then I realised that what I was using had phosphates in them which will strip the natural acid mantle off of your skin, which causes dryness. I quit using shampoos for the same reasons. take a look at the ingredients lists- if you cant eat it or even pronounce it, its a pretty safe bet you shouldnt be putting it on your skin. since anything that touches your skin is absorbed. I only use homemade goatmilk soap for skin and shampoos and I rinse my hair with a mix of 50/50 water and vinegar. My hair has never been healthier! My skin improved dramatically. I also use either Queen Helene cocoa butter lotion or organic coconut oil for a moisturizer. I will switch off between the 2 since coconut oil used every day will start to "overload" your skin. You can buy homemade goats milk soap on Ebay- I buy from Halo soaps. :)

wahine

Practically Family
very true! I've quit using regular shampoo some time ago for the same reasons. Now, I use sensitive shampoo or ghassul ("washing earth", can't think of the correct English term right now) and vinegar/water mixture. Much better!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think the modern reformulations are the reason why people have to use so much product today.

Back in the golden era people only showered once a week... their wells couldn't take it if they were rural and even in the cities they didn't want to set their hair all the time. But they used "store bought" shampoo. I was never able to wash my hair once a week with commercial shampoos once a week, no matter how I tried- and I have a high tolerance for grossness.

I wouldn't put it beyond the companies to formulate their products so that they required you to use them more often.

Hep Caterina

New in Town
I recently read an article on shampoos and why you should quit them, basically what they do is load your hair and scalp with nasty chemicals that only create problems down the road. the woman that wrote it, took the "no poo" challenge, and she took before and after pic- huge difference! her hair lightened and thickened! more volume, and overall healthier looking. she uses nothing but baking soda! she will massage it into her wet hair and as it cleans hair and scalp it will balance the ph. another interesting point she made was, after your scalp gets used to it, your scalp skin will not create as much oil, therefore reducing the frequency of washings. After I ditched shampoos, I ran out of my GM soap and I had a bit of Pantene in a travel bottle under my sink, I opened it to use it and it smelled awful! like petroleum! ugh! never again.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I used the no-poo method for about two years, but still struggled with dandruff. (Although I was able to go from every-other day washings to once a week). There's people who seem to think that the issue with using baking soda is that it lowers the PH of your scalp too much and then gets shocked back up by the vinegar solution. It is too large of a PH change in too short of a time. My scalp wasn't a happy camper.

Right now I am using a mix of aloe vera gel and lemon juice. The idea is that it is more acidic and like your normal scalp PH. I only wash it about once a month with this, the rest of the time just water and vigorous rubbing. Quite a change from having to wash every other day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko