Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toiletries of the Golden Era

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Bare Minerals is a full coverage mineral foundation. I have tried other brands of mineral makeup and they do feel heavy and drying. I think you'll like Coty Airspun, though--it's very light and has a pleasant scent.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I can't believe you found Bare Minerals to be heavy. It is the lightest makeup I have ever worn. The problem I had when I first started wearing it was that I was applying it too heavily and it did look very cakey. I was trying to apply it like a regular foundation. You really need to watch the video or learn from someone how to apply it before you just go out and buy it, or you will probably dislike it. For proper application, you barely use any foundation at all - barely enough to make a dusting on the brush. Just what remains dusted on the top of the lid after you tap it. I probably use about 1/16 teaspoon or less for my entire face every day. The right brush is important as well. I noticed a huge difference in the way it looked and felt after I invested in one of their brushes. I have found that it gives extremely natural coverage. And bear in mind that it is really geared to give a natural look, so many of the products (including the powder) are not 100% matte. The Physician's Formula mineral knockoffs from the drugstore give a considerably heavier/fuller coverage, in my experience.

You may want to try the Burt's Bees vanishing facial powder. It is less expensive than Bare Minerals, and I am very fond of it. I also like the Burt's Bees rice papers with powder. Both are excellent for pale skin.

Ok, back to vintage toiletries...

I remember using Max Factor pancake for a while after high school. Talk about heavy coverage! lol I know a couple of years ago they reintroduced some of their old products for limited sales. It was some type of pancake foundation. Of course now I can't think of the name of the product I am thinking of!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Mineral makeups oxidize on me, regardless of brand (and Bare Minerals doesn't have a light enough color for me.) I found that they felt very drying regardless of how lightly I applied them, so I went back to my standby cream foundations. I've not tried any drugstore versions--only higher end ones. My aunt swears by Bare Minerals and showed me how she applies it (she even gave me one of the brushes) but it didn't cut it for me. I do use the brush to apply my Airspun powder, though :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
jitterbugdoll said:
They don't offer their loose powder anymore, but you can still find the Pan-Cake (1937) and Pan-Stik makeups (1947).)

I discovered Pan-Cake back when I was doing community theatre -- and have been using it ever since. It takes a bit of trial and error to get the hang of it so far as figuring out how much water to use, but once you figure it out, it's an excellent foundation -- it can be as heavy or as sheer as you want it to be. Plus, a cake of the stuff lasts forever....

Pan-Stik I always found a bit too greasy for overall use, but I've used it as undereye cover. It's as close to old-fashioned theatrical greasepaint as you can find in a drugstore these days!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
Mineral makeups oxidize on me, regardless of brand (and Bare Minerals doesn't have a light enough color for me.) I found that they felt very drying regardless of how lightly I applied them, so I went back to my standby cream foundations. I've not tried any drugstore versions--only higher end ones. My aunt swears by Bare Minerals and showed me how she applies it (she even gave me one of the brushes) but it didn't cut it for me. I do use the brush to apply my Airspun powder, though :)

I'm the palest person I know, and their 1.0 (1.2 in the summer) works well for me. The great thing is that because it is a mineral powder and not a liquid foundation, you have a considerably larger amount of leeway as far as color matching goes. If you have very, very dry skin, I can see where it would be an issue. The minerals can be drying. My skin is quite normal, but in the winter I do alternate my Bare Minerals out with the Burt's Bees tinted moisturizer, otherwise my face gets very dry. The thing I like best is the staying power - I have yet to find a foundation that lasts like these do. Last year I wore it during an entire day-long airshow in 100 degree heat, then swimming that evening, with only a couple of touch ups during the day, and my face still looked fresh and matte! That was enough to sell me. lol

LizzieMaine said:
I discovered Pan-Cake back when I was doing community theatre -- and have been using it ever since. It takes a bit of trial and error to get the hang of it so far as figuring out how much water to use, but once you figure it out, it's an excellent foundation -- it can be as heavy or as sheer as you want it to be. Plus, a cake of the stuff lasts forever....

It does last forever! I had a cake that I actually ended up throwing away because I was ready to switch foundations and could never get to the end of it. lol

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I'm the palest person I know, and their 1.0 (1.2 in the summer) works well for me.

I guarantee that I am paler than you :) I am very, very white, do not tan at all, and almost no foundations match me, including mineral makeup. Like I said, my skin oxidizes a lot of foundations, which causes the color to turn darker and orangy. Like I said, I have tried Bare Minerals and the makeup artist who insisted it would work for me said "Oh, that's their lightest color and it's too dark for you." I said, "Told you so!" lol

I would use Pan-Cake if they had a light enough color for me. It is very good stuff!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
All the pancakes I've tried are too pinky or orangey. I don't think they make a pale shade!

Has anyone tried the cake mascara, like what Vermont Country Store sells? I'm interested in that. Black mascara is much too harsh on me, though.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, jitterbugdoll. Black mascara makes me look a little too "made up." I was using Max Factor 2000 Calorie in auburn - it was a perfect match! Unfortunately it is near impossible to find these days. Now I'm using Bourjois in brun starlette. I'm pleased with it so far.

waingirl

One of the Regulars
I love Pond's cold cream. I have not been able to find anything in the Coty brand. What store's are you finding them.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
The only place I have been able to find it is Walgreen's. It wasn't even in the makeup area, at the store where I bought it! It was in one of the very corners of the store next to the nail products, nailpolish remover, etc.

Novella said:
Ulta does too, that's where I bought mine.

And also Walmart.

I just found that Harp's grocery has Camay bar soap if any one has that store near them. I believe it is strictly in the south. I bought 3 3packs today incase they stop getting it.

I also use the Maybelline red brow pencil.

I used Max Factor's pan-cake make up for a while but it tended to slip off during the day. I find that the pan stick gives me much better coverage and works with my skin type better. If you have any dry spots at all the pan-cake tends to cling to them.

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
I remembered another old favorite: Rosebud Salve. My mother sold this door to door as a young girl for spending money. I love products like this that are still available in the vintage containers.:)

olive bleu

One Too Many
all those vintage soaps, lux, camay, palmolive...are available in practically every store here in canada. so for you gals that live close to the border & ever get up here, you can stock up...And you can even get more for your buck than i can!

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
When I was growing up, my Memaw always had Rose Milk lotion in her bathroom. It was a special treat to me when I used it...it smelled so good! Do any of you ladies know the history of this product?

--Leslie

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I remember Rose Milk lotion as well. My grandmother always had a bottle of it on her dresser!

I recently put in a request for it with Vermont Country Store.

Avalon

A-List Customer
Add me to the list of Airspun addicts. lol I first bought it because the scent reminded me of my Nanny's face...and keep buying it because it's a terrific product! I also use Palmolive soap, sometimes Pears soap, and Noxzema. Occasionally Pond's cold cream.

I've been trying to find a list of all the "beauty" products (soap, shampoo, cosmetics) that have been around since the 30s (possibly 20s) and 40s...there are some tastes here in the Powder Room and I eat 'em up. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points