Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tonight is Devil's Night...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Sadly, Halloween is hotly contested by more radical or fundamental Christian groups who see it as an evil Pagan holiday. "They" tend to have very limited knowledge of the real practices of the actual Pagan holiday which Hallow'een replaced, which has no reference whatsoever to Satanic practices (Satan being a Judeo-Christian concept, not found in many Celtic or Pagan faiths).

I do not consider myself in any way a "radical" or "fundamental" Christian (at least not in the way those labels are usually construed), but I don't practice Halloween. Yes, I have done research on the origins of the holiday (even taught on it a bit), and realize that its Celtic structure has been altered over the centuries, particularly by the Roman Church and Western culture in general. Admittedly, many do not know of the holiday's roots, both religious and secular, and of the symbolism that some of its traditions carry; neither do they know of the attempts to "Christianize" or "secularize" Halloween. I personally choose not to practice Halloween because of its persistent identification with not only death, but with that which is commonly associated with evil (demons, witches, vampires, etc.). Although evil (as well as death) is a very real part of life, I see no reason to lightheartedly emphasize it in the way that many (not all) do on Halloween; I would rather meditate on that which is good, and just, and noble. Now if someone chooses to wear a pirate outfit that evening, or dress up his daughter as a princess, I'm not in a position to judge or vilify, but simply rather to present a different view, one which I would hope is at least respected if not endorsed.

Last edited:

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Dear WB: I'm an RC (and a Celt!) and DO "practice Hallowe'en"—and will continue to until I get it right! :>). In this, as in all things, the conscience must rule. You've penned a very thoughtful and respectful defense of your position, and I applaud you for your considered approach to the question as well as your mode of sending it abroad to the rest of us.

With my sincere regard,
"Skeet"

ideaguy

One Too Many
we used to call it "cabbage night"- kids would throw well aged (PHEW!!!) cabbages at folks' houses- not breaking windows, just spreading some cheer against the garage door, and some kids would try and loft one into the chimney- I think I remember seeing one go in, but that was
just a few decades ago...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Dear WB: I'm an RC (and a Celt!) and DO "practice Hallowe'en"—and will continue to until I get it right! :>). In this, as in all things, the conscience must rule. You've penned a very thoughtful and respectful defense of your position, and I applaud you for your considered approach to the question as well as your mode of sending it abroad to the rest of us.

With my sincere regard,
"Skeet"

You are right, Skeet: after the facts have been carefully considered, the conscience must guide one to a decision in all things, as it is the conscience which ultimately condemns or commends us.

Widebrim

P.S.- I miss your former avatar...

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
P.S.- I miss your former avatar...

Thanks, WB: don't worry; it will be back at the end of our bird season, which (sadly) finishes the Saturday following Thanksgiving. He was a Californian as well, BTW: Emil F. Neuschwander of San Francisco (presumably a member of the Pacific Rod & Gun Club), a member of the second (1933) All-American Skeet Team. The photograph was published in the WINCHESTER SKEET BOOK for 1934, a copy of which I am lucky enough to have in my small collection of vintage Skeet items. I've always liked it.

"Skeet"

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
They call in nothing in Philadelphia. No one does anything malicious. We have better things to do.

When I lived in the Jersey 'burbs it was called "Mischief Night" and all the bored suburban kids would toilet paper trees and soap car windows. Oooooh!! Tough!!!

Steveb1

Familiar Face
As a kid in NJ it was called Mischief Night and boy did we do some damage. Shaving Cream, Toilet Paper, Soap, Eggs, Rotten Vegetables..... you name it.

As an adult in Maryland, nothing happens here on the night before Halloween. I am sooooo Thankful.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They call in nothing in Philadelphia. No one does anything malicious. We have better things to do.

When I lived in the Jersey 'burbs it was called "Mischief Night" and all the bored suburban kids would toilet paper trees and soap car windows. Oooooh!! Tough!!!

Yesterday we noticed some very juvenile bad words written in chalk in the street and in a couple of driveways, some accompanied by illustrations. Tough indeed!

Feraud

Bartender
My part of Queens, N.Y. was quiet this year. I saw exactly one egg on the sidewalk during my commute to work today. That was it.
The mischief appears to have declined considerably since my generation roamed the streets.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of the towns around here put an easy end to such foolishness by simply banning the sale of eggs within the municipal limits between 3pm and midnight on October 31st. Unless you owned your own chicken, you were out of luck.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Halloween Eve and Singing for a snickers

I grew up in Northeastern PA and Halloween was always a big deal. We called Oct. 30th "Mischief Night" and teens spent the night soaping windows, smashing pumpkins that people left on their porches (we always took our carved pumpkins in the house for the 30th), covering things in shaving cream, throwing some eggs, etc. In fact, the Turkey Hill convenience stores in our area (they were like 7 - 11's) would NOT sell toilet paper, shaving cream, eggs or soap to teens on that night. We never really caused any property damage. If we saw a jack o lantern on a porch we would never attempt to smash it b/c... well... it was a trap! Why would someone leave it out on Mischief night, unless they were lying in wait to collar you and drag you home to your parents!

Newport County, Rhode Island doesn't have any mischief makers. Our Jack O lanterns go unmolested each year. We never find TP in our trees and I've never had male genetalia drawn on my driver's side window with a bar of ivory.

I said to my wife last night, as I was turning off the porch light and discussing the trick or treaters we had for the night, "What the hell is wrong with the kids around here?" I always thought I would be subjected to such mischief, and was kind of looking forward to it. I thought it was an adult/homeowner/parent right of passage.

ALSO... in Northeastern PA, we didn't say "Trick or Treat!" Instead, the homeowner would hold their candy bowl tight and say "OK, what are you going to sing?" Yup. we had to SING for our candy. Some kids did plays or do skits that incorporated all the kids from their trick or treating troupe. I usually sang. Once October would roll around, the schools would start teaching Halloween songs during music class so when the kids went out, they would have a few songs in their repertoire. My wife is horrified that kids had to do this. She is more horrified when she is about to hand the trick or treaters candy and I yell, in my best Frank Costanza voice, "Make them sing a song or dance!"

Foofoogal

Banned
One of the towns around here put an easy end to such foolishness by simply banning the sale of eggs within the municipal limits between 3pm and midnight on October 31st. Unless you owned your own chicken, you were out of luck.
-------------
Eggs and toilet paper are expensive. Maybe the economy is helping the demise. I am sure some kids would get in more trouble if they wasted it.
Recently I landed in Memphis via Houston. In the airport bathrooms all the paper was gone. Someone evidently is stealing it.

So tip for today. Always carry it when you travel.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I do not consider myself in any way a "radical" or "fundamental" Christian (at least not in the way those labels are usually construed), but I don't practice Halloween. Yes, I have done research on the origins of the holiday (even taught on it a bit), and realize that its Celtic structure has been altered over the centuries, particularly by the Roman Church and Western culture in general. Admittedly, many do not know of the holiday's roots, both religious and secular, and of the symbolism that some of its traditions carry; neither do they know of the attempts to "Christianize" or "secularize" Halloween. I personally choose not to practice Halloween because of its persistent identification with not only death, but with that which is commonly associated with evil (demons, witches, vampires, etc.). Although evil (as well as death) is a very real part of life, I see no reason to lightheartedly emphasize it in the way that many (not all) do on Halloween; I would rather meditate on that which is good, and just, and noble. Now if someone chooses to wear a pirate outfit that evening, or dress up his daughter as a princess, I'm not in a position to judge or vilify, but simply rather to present a different view, one which I would hope is at least respected if not endorsed.

Like Easter and Christmas and Thanksgiving, Halloween has no real meaning to me except the excuse to celebrate and have fun. Christmas is for big dinners and presents, Thanksgiving is just a big dinner, Easter is a big dinner and candy, and Halloween is just candy. To me, there's no symbolism at play. It's just a night for little kids to dress up and get lots of candy. I can see how it'd be different if I had anything that even remotely resembled faith. Instead, it's just a night to make kids happy. To me, most holidays become a lot more valuable once their initial meaning has been stripped away and whatever core good time involved is practiced for its own sake.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Growing up in the DC area, I hadn't heard of Devil's Night until I moved to Detroit in '92. Here in Maryland, the only vandalism comes on Halloween Night, usually in the form of smashed pumpkins.

TM

A-List Customer
A good read (although dated) on Devil's Night and Detroit is: "Devil's Night: And Other True Tales of Detroit" by Zev Chafets.

As found on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Night-Other-Tales-Detroit/dp/0679735917/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1288664459&sr=8-1

0948124128a03e01db327010.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tony

BigFitz

Practically Family
We did our pumpkin smashing on Halloween after trick or treat ended. Also, trick or treat happened after dark when I was a kid, not during daylight hours like today. Sure, it's probably safer for the kids to be seen in daylight crossing the street, but it sure doesn't feel right to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn