Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tonyb.....hatter and a gentleman

cw3pa

A-List Customer
My Christmas present from my wife arrived today. Working with Tony was indeed a pleasure.
NewHat1001.jpg

Silverbelly with a 6 inch crown and 2 3/4 bond brim, and of course one of Tony's signature bows.
NewHat1004.jpg

And the noggin shot.
NewHat1007.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi everyone

I was pleased to notice that my hat is on Tony's gallery page. Thanks, it's too hot to wear it now, but it's probably the best hat I own.

Later

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Thought I'd run a little early-days stream of hat speculation by the Lounge crowd. Here is a picture of my chocolate brown TonyB hat, next to my "Taupe" Borsalino.

CompareRibbons.jpg

I'm starting to hanker for another Tumwater and as the owner of two brown hats it seems logical to cast my thinking somewhere in the grey or blue directions. In fact the obvious choice would be the "Steel" color which is blueish-gray medium tone felt that Tony has used in quite a few hats, including a beauty pictured earlier in this thread by friend DJH.

D329421-L.jpg

But I'm just bloody-minded enough to at least consider Y.A.B.H. instead. That's "yet another brown hat", perhaps something in a bit lighter tone. Tonight some older Lounge threads yielded up this picture (a non-Tumwater hat) of a color called "Whiskey". So just how nutso would it be to continue my brown-hat acquisition frenzy and have Tony build one that's just like my chocolate brown one except lighter and with maybe an interesting ribbon and/or binding color to jazz it up a bit?

IMG_6257.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I'm starting to hanker for another Tumwater and as the owner of two brown hats it seems logical to cast my thinking somewhere in the grey or blue directions. In fact the obvious choice would be the "Steel" color which is blueish-gray medium tone felt that Tony has used in quite a few hats, including a beauty pictured earlier in this thread by friend DJH.

D329421-L.jpg
Oh man...I may have to get one of those...

1961MJS

Oh man...I may have to get one of those...

Hi

I got one last year in the same colors, but with a wider ribbon, love it. Mine is in charcoal, which is a more rainy color for Seattle. I WAS going to be in Seattle a lot. I just ordered what is effectively a 1898 Cavalry hat from Tony in Sahara (I think), I can't wait. Whine whine. I ordered by picture as opposed to by name, it's a medium tan color, light enough to be cooler, but dark enough to not show as much dirt.

I moved to Oklahoma on June 1, but am still spending the weekends in Kansas. I'll be needing lighter colored stuff, I'm about 150 miles South of where I used to live. I'll be nice and warm longer...

Later Y'all

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
mmmm... I've been thinking along the same lines, different colors. But just when you think you've got enough saved to jump in... wife, kids... :eusa_doh: Oh, well. [huh] There are higher priorities in life than hats.

1961MJS

How long is a wait for one of his hats, 1961MJS?

HI

I don't know and didn't ask. Usually 3-4 weeks. He had to order the felt on both hats, Charcoal isn't a regular color and he was our of the lighter stuff except for Silverbelly when I ordered the last one. I don't like Silverbelly, I don't like a color that changes in different light EXCEPT for the funky candy apple red muscle cars... :p

I really like Tony's hats, especially the triple bow. I didn't order that on my last one, but they're REALLY cool looking.

Later

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
I've gotta admit, DJH's steel-grey Tumwater hat look about as wonderful as a custom fedora could be. I feel like I have no choice but to...

...get another brown hat anyway. Apparently I suffer from a highly peculiar form of mental illness which leads those afflicted to wear a brown hat all day, every day, no matter what. Maybe one of those prion things like Mad Cow disease.

So my "chocolate" Tumwater will before too long have a "whiskey" Tumwater for a companion.

There was a short story written by Woody Allen years ago in which the protagonist only owned or wore black socks. I can't remember the rest the story but one day he discovered his house keeper had purchased him a pair of navy blue sock. He confronted her and shouted "Slut! And what next, ARGYLES???".

steppenwolph

Familiar Face
So my "chocolate" Tumwater will before too long have a "whiskey" Tumwater for a companion.

You know Brent, as a fellow owner of a chocolate brown Tumwater, I can attest to the powerful influence that it exerts on the wearer. It really is a great color for a hat. One could have a whole rack of these with different color bands and bindings. It would be great. When you know what you like, life is simple.
Only DJH's steel grey number has turned my head.

1961MJS

Hi

I just joined Tony's forum on his page.

http://tumwaterhat.com/smf/

He and others have a few new and vintage hats for sale there also. I hope to be wearing a new Tumwater hat in about 2 weeks. I'm getting a new apartment on July 6, 2012 so I have to wait until then. :eek:

Later

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the comments on the Steel Tumwater, guys. Tony went above and beyond to make this one a special hat!

Oh, Mike - I appreciate the heads-up on the hats for sale on the Tumwater forum. Even though I'm supposed to have stopped buying hats for a while, there was one I couldn't resist :)

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Thanks for the comments on the Steel Tumwater, guys. Tony went above and beyond to make this one a special hat!

Oh, Mike - I appreciate the heads-up on the hats for sale on the Tumwater forum. Even though I'm supposed to have stopped buying hats for a while, there was one I couldn't resist :)

Another dog for your Stetson collection ????? ;):eusa_clap

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
You know Brent, as a fellow owner of a chocolate brown Tumwater, I can attest to the powerful influence that it exerts on the wearer. It really is a great color for a hat. One could have a whole rack of these with different color bands and bindings. It would be great. When you know what you like, life is simple.
Only DJH's steel grey number has turned my head.

After a bit of indecision I'm going as far "out there" as a Camel color for my upcoming Tumwater creation. Decided not to stop off at the rather conservative Whiskey but can't see myself in anything as light as Sahara or Sand. I've always liked Camel colored hats and coats but didn't consider it one of my colors. It will be now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo