Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tonyb.....hatter and a gentleman

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Teach - you are going to love the felt on the hat Tony makes for you. The felt on my Tumwater Silverbelly (thanks for posting the pic, Jeff!) is just fantastic. I am lucky to own 4 Tumwaters now - each one special!

Rusty - you're right, there isn't a thin ribbon Tumwater to be seen. I bet Tony could put a really good Stratoliner clone together though!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Well, it's KIND of thin..

Tumwater_Roughrider_02_Post.jpg

Later

aught12

One of the Regulars
Words cannot describe the pleasure it has been to work with Tony.

Steel felt, incredible vintage ribbon, black binding.

untitled-2275_zpse5c31ede.jpg

untitled-2276_zpsb50ccd65.jpg

untitled-2280_zps85ba30a5.jpg

untitled-2277_zpsbb291203.jpg

untitled-2278_zps063457cf.jpg

untitled-2279_zps72cce847.jpg

Thanks Tony !

steppenwolph

Familiar Face
aught12, that hat sure is a winner.:eusa_clap Wear it in good health! That is the most amazing ribbon I have ever seen. Can you share some stats? Brim width? Crown height? Congratulations on such a fine lid!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Aught - always nice to see a new hat from Tony and yours is a great looking Tumwater, the ribbon is just fantastic!

I'm sure you'll enjoy wearing it for a long time to come. Congratulations on a fine hat.

aught12

One of the Regulars
aught12, that hat sure is a winner.:eusa_clap Wear it in good health! That is the most amazing ribbon I have ever seen. Can you share some stats? Brim width? Crown height? Congratulations on such a fine lid!

Thanks wolph! I wear a large 7 1/2, and it fits like no other. I'm measuring the crown at greater than 5 1/2" as creased. He has a 2 3/4" brim. The ribbon material and bow treatment are truly special.

aught12

One of the Regulars
I gotta see some sunlit headshots of that beauty. Love steel grey hats, and that ribbon is beyond cool.

Neo,
I'll get noggin shots later. Steel grey is my new favorite :D . I'm wondering if there might be a general interest in a "Show off your Bow" thread.

aught12

One of the Regulars
Aught - always nice to see a new hat from Tony and yours is a great looking Tumwater, the ribbon is just fantastic!

I'm sure you'll enjoy wearing it for a long time to come. Congratulations on a fine hat.

Thank you David. I know you have a special place for Tumwater Hats.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Found a pic of some hats I am liking

http://imageshack.us/a/img809/4605/dscf2854x.jpg

Can anyone tell me if the steel grey Tumwater pictured in this thread is the same color as the grey hat, second shelf, far left?

What colors are the grey hats on the far right, first on the top shelf and then on the second shelf?

I have a Stetson in caribou and thinking a second grey hat is what I want and do not want one that is so close in color though.

I have a Stetson in caribou and thinking a second grey hat is what I want and do not want one that is so close in color though.

Get you some swatches from a custom hatter. Art sends them with his conformer. Looking at colors on a PC monitor isn't going to help you much. Buckaroo & VS as well as other hatters get their felt bodies from Winchester & except for some proprietary colors, are all the same.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I have a Stetson in Caribou, and IMHO, it's very different than the Steel Grey color.

I did see Steel in Buckaroo's shop and felt it was bluish grey, and while it was sharp, I think if that is the hat that is the far left, second row, my eye is drawn to the top shelf, far right and middle shelf, far right, with I think the top shelved one being a great color. What color Is that? The middle one I think is granite and is most like caribou as far as color

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Memph, a good place to see the colours (bearing in mind that most people's monitors are not calibrated) is the set of swatches that Ed Wiser recently updated to Art's Vintage Silhouettes site.

The Steel is the same felt for Art, Tony and most of the custom hat guys. I have a Steel hat from Tony. It is very much a blue/grey felt.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Very nice aught12. Am I the only one that thinks that vintage ribbon looks like modern carbon fiber?

Editing to ammend: Am I the only one that thinks carbon fiber looks like that vintage ribbon?

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I bought a bone colored hat because before it get's pounced, it looks darker. Definitely look both online and at the swatches. I like the Steel Gray, but I bought a Charcoal with a blue band that I'm VERY happy with. Normal wild Tony B ribbon in subdued colors. Pictures are back in this thread somewhere.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo