Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tootal - The Company History and its products (ties, scarves etc)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I notice from the bottom of one of the Canadian adverts that the company name in Canada is 'Broadhurst Lee' rather than 'Tootal Broadhurst Lee' in the UK, or 'T B Lee' in the USA.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I posted these new purchases on 'Show us your ties' today:

First a Tootal 'Green Quality':
IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

Another 'Green Quality':
IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

This is a 'Black Quality':
IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

Plus, a close up of my latest Tootal scarf:
IMG_2228.jpg

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Tootal Shirt Advert 1927

Here's an advert for Tootal shirts from 1927:

TootalShirtadvert1927copy.jpg

They are advertised as 'Red Label' poplin shirts, coming with two detachable collars - for 10 shillings and sixpence.

I tried to search in newspaper archives under 'Tootal ties' pre-1930, but nothing comes up. This would suggest they didn't move into tie production until the thirties.

DNO

One Too Many
I only have three Tootal items: a muffler and two scarves. Here's the labels.

First the muffler...I suspect it's the oldest.

Tootallabel1.png

And the scarves, in order of suspected age.

Tootallabel2.png

Tootallabel3.png

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone have any 'Super Quality' Tootal ties? I think the first range of Tootal ties was divided into two categories: 'Standard Quality' & 'Super Quality'. I don't have any 'super'. So it would be good to see an example. I assume the difference will be similar to the difference between the 'standard' and the 'special' (i.e. the 'special' ties are lined and are made of a silkier fabric) in the later period.

Here is an advert from Xmas 1932 showing 'standard' and 'super' for sale:

tootalties1934-standardandsuper.jpg

Last edited:

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
What is it that makes this one appear to be earlier?

Nothing I am afraid Two Types, just a hunch from the feel of it compared to some of the other Tootal Cravats I have, however, I can not present it as anything more than my experience of handling vintage cothing.

Kindest Regards

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have any 'Superior Quality' Tootal ties? I think the first range of Tootal ties was divided into two categories: 'Popular Quality' & 'Superior Quality'. I only have one 'popular' and don't have any 'superior'. So it would be good to see an example. I assume the difference will be similar to the difference between the 'standard' and the 'special' (i.e. the 'special' ties are lined and are made of a silkier fabric).

I will have a look, and see what I have. I woud have thought they would be quite rare, the adverts indicate they were quite a bit more expensive.

Also, looking at the Wartime price list, it seems they had the three qualities, Standard, Popular and Special at that point.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
This is the earliest advert I have found for Tootal ties. It's from 1932 and describes them as "washable and uncreaseable":

Tootalties1932.jpg

These three adverts from 1933 refer to 'uncreaseable' and 'eversmooth' ties. Their choice of punctuation is confusing, thus I am unsure whether eversmooth is part of the description for the Tootal ties, or whether it is a separate brand:

Tootaluncreasable19332.jpg

Tootaluncreasable19333.jpg

Tootaluncreasable1933.jpg

By 1934 Tootal were offering scarves with ties to match. This is interesting since i don't recall ever seeing matching ties and scarves. Does anyone have any examples?
tootalscarvesandmatchingties1934.jpg

In 1934 they also started advertising their ties as "anti-crease, washable and almost unwearoutable.":
tootalties1934.jpg

Again 1934, the first mention of 'standard' and 'super' quality ties. The super are cost an extra one shilling:
tootalties1934-standardandsuper.jpg

Another 1934 advert. I think this shows why Tootal were succesful. Their standard price for a tie was 1 shilling and sixpence, all other ties were two and six:
tootalties19342.jpg

1935, we see them advertised as "Always neat. Always smart. In an extensive range of designs and colours.":
tootalties1935.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
On to Xmas 1936 and Tootal ties are down in price, selling at one shilling:
tootaltiesxmas1936.jpg

If you don't want to buy a novelty 'tie in a cracker', you can select from 2,000 Tootal ties in stock at this shop:
tootal1936-2000tochoosefrom.jpg

Still Xmas 1936 and Tootal ties are again being advertised to match their scarves:
xmasgifts1936.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Of course, they did not only sell ties and scarves. There was also the pyramid range of handkerchiefs:

1935, and the advert poses the question: "Are you joining in this modern tendency to brighter Men's wear? Are you wearing more colourful shirts and gayer ties?" They claim their handkerchiefs will "add a touch of colour to your life.":
tootalpyramid1935.jpg

1936, and the British male is told to "Kick over the traces" since "Men are rebelling! Brighter shirts! More cheerful ties!"
tootalpyramid1936.jpg

1936 also sees Tootal producing shirts with 'Trubenized' collars:
tootaltrubenizedcollars1936.jpg

1936 also saw them selling a range of shirts under the brand name 'Wyanar':
tootalwyanarshirts1936.jpg

Back in 1929 they were selling 'Red Label' tunic shirts in pinstripes, with soft, detachable collars:
tootalshirtadvert1929.jpg

Here is an advert from 1933 showing the variety of fabrics produced by Tootal:
Tootalfabrics1933.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
In 1938 Tootal ran a series of adverts featuring animals whose skins related to tie pattern:

1938-leopardadvert.jpg

1938-penguinadvert.jpg

1938-standardandpopular.jpg

1938-stripesandnamelabels.jpg

1938-zebrastripeadvertcopy.jpg

1938zebraadvert.jpg

These adverts are for 'standard and 'popular' quality ties - no mention of 'super' or 'special'.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
1937 Adverts:

1937-3600tochoosefrom.jpg

this shop offers a stock over 3,500 Tootal ties!

1937-4prices.jpg

Interestingly, this advert shows four different prices for Tootal ties. Through most of the 1930s it appeared there were 'Standard' 'Popular' and 'Super'. So what was the fourth category?

'Special' appears to have come in during 1939, to replace 'Super' - as shown by these adverts from 1939:

1939-december-standardpopularandspecial.jpg

1939-december-ifyoureallywanttocatchhereye.jpg

1939-april-edgaradvert.jpg

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
That advert with the four prices is a mystery, the lowest price is 1/6, not 1/ as the other adverts. I wonder if they were charging a bit more than the Tootal rrp?

1/, 1/6 and 2/6 seem to be the Tootal price range around that time?

Kindest Regards

Ben

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here is the guide to various types as we know it so far:

1932 - Standard & Super Qualities
1937 - 4 styles (but not certain of the names)
1938 - Popular and Standard Qualities
1939/1940 - Popular, Standard and Special Qualities
1950 - Popular, Standard, Sports and Special Qualities
1953/1954 - Red, Blue, Green and Black Qualities
1955 - Red, Blue, Green, Grey and Black Qualities.

Now we need to fill in the gaps.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I have just noticed something else from the labels:

The 'Standard Quality' ties have two different labels: 1) 'Cotton and Rayon - Wash as silk or wool' 2) 'Rayon - wash as silk'.

So now we need to find out when they changed over to the different fabric. Any guesses?

My guess is that the cotton and rayon mix is earlier (this is a hunch based on the feel of the cloth).

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
so after 1953 (ish) the Popular, Standard etc qualities were replaced with the coloured coded qualities ? that certainly makes dating the ties a lot easier.

That seems to be the case - I am still searching the newspaper archives, so hopefully i will be able to give a more definitive answer within the next week or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff