Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tootal

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
I just received a Tootal Scarf that I won on eBay. It is rayon rather than silk (as advertised); however, it is still very nice and I'm looking forward to wearing it.

ek260a.jpg

I was just wondering about the period that it is from. Is it 40's or 60's?

Thanks!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I am a great fan of Tootal they make most of my Ascot cravats.
Excellent quality and some great material. I know a lot date from the 60s 70s but are in a style that would be fitting with the golden era.

Does paisley go out of date?

Edward

Bartender
Quite a few of my cravats are Tootal, as is an unlined, Summer-weight cotton dressing gown I have. I have always believed what I have to be 60s, but saying that have the strong impression that their average customer would have been the sort of gentleman who wished still to wear traditional 40s styles. I'm not ure about the paisley patterns - I always thought they were more a 60s thing, but I could be very wrong - don't claim to know for sure.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Is it just me or is there a picture of earrings and not a picture of a scarf at all? Or am I missing an obscure reference? Anyway I can't tell you what era the scarf is from though most commonly they seem to be from the 60's. Here's a quick precis of their history:

Tootal is one of England’s oldest brands, having originally been founded in Manchester by textile merchant Robert Gardner in 1799. The Tootal family become involved in the business in 1842 and, after several name changes, in 1888 settled on, and registered, the name Tootal Broadhurst Lee Co Ltd.

The company’s distinctive paisley and polka-dot scarves, for which they became renowned, proved popular accessories from the 1920s to the 1950s, particularly amongst the working class. They became a key fashion accessory during World War II, becoming forever associated with the “RAF” look. As a result of this look, the scarves enjoyed a revival in the 60s when they were adopted by the Mod fraternity, for whom it remains an iconic fashion label.

And it seems yet another revival is underway, as they became a must have accessory this autumn and winter. The owners of the Tootal brand have raided their pattern archive to produce a new range of scarves. Produced first in limited editions and stocked by such houses of fashion as Harvey Nichols, if anything it makes the original scarves even more highly prized. And of course, unlike the new Tootal scarves, the originals proudly bear the words ‘Made in England’. In every sense these scarves are a genuine bit of English neckwear.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Yes, Tootal also made lovely dressing gowns, Always rather understated designs. I just purchased these two,1940's Dressing gowns on ebay, I'm rather hoping the red one is a Tootal, the blue one is lined in white Taffeta! (hope it doesn't "Russell" when I walk,) they are both rather "Frank Thring."

3393907297_5338692a6b_o.jpg

" I just Love this Galleon design"

3394716924_7ae018c10e_m.jpg

3393906283_43615b8212.jpg

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Edward said:
...I have always believed what I have to be 60s, but saying that have the strong impression that their average customer would have been the sort of gentleman who wished still to wear traditional 40s styles...

I completely agree, certainly with a lot of the items that I have seen.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Adding to the Tootal history, many of the scarves worn by RAF aircrew during the war were made by Tootal, especially the woollen-backed silk ones.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Somewhere amongst all our mess we have a Wartime Tootal missive for retailers stating the price to retailers per dozen items and maximum price they are allowed to charge their customers on ties, scarves etc as well as the different qualities that were available, such as blue quality, red quality etc. There were certainly a few catagories, I remember.

Since it's not to hand, I can't say which quality was which, but they were certainly a popular menswear item and brand from the 40s right up to the 60s.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
BinkieBaumont said:
Yes, Tootal also made lovely dressing gowns, Always rather understated designs. I just purchased these two,1940's Dressing gowns on ebay, I'm rather hoping the red one is a Tootal, the blue one is lined in white Taffeta! (hope it doesn't "Russell" when I walk,) they are both rather "Frank Thring."

3393907297_5338692a6b_o.jpg

" I just Love this Galleon design"

3394716924_7ae018c10e_m.jpg

3393906283_43615b8212.jpg

They arrived today and the red one is labelled "Smartex" and the blue one seems to be a one off or home-made, they do appear to be the original cords, The Blue is a lovely crushed satin

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Growing up near to Macclesfield (the home of the English silk industry) and Manchester (home of Tootal) I was always led to believe (by silk tie makers from Macclesfield) that Tootal products were examples of the decline in the neckwear industry caused by mass production and man-made fibres.

That doesn't mean I agreed with them, by the way.

grantway

New in Town
I am a great fan of Tootal they make most of my Ascot cravats.
Excellent quality and some great material. I know a lot date from the 60s 70s but are in a style that would be fitting with the golden era.

Does paisley go out of date?

mau_zps4b4bb8dc.jpg

No, paisley is ageless. I like this paisley ascot

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR