Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toothpowder Question

Jay

Practically Family
Does anyone know if you can find that stuff anymore? Do they still make it? Oh, and does anyone know what type of toothbrushes were popular long ago and if they still make any of them. Solid-color straight toothbrushes are getting harder to find...

Barry

Practically Family
Black Monkey is still around. It's pretty gross, IMHO. I picked some up when I was shopping for spices at an Indian market.

You can find it at smallflower.com.

Barry

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Barry said:
Black Monkey is still around. It's pretty gross, IMHO. I picked some up when I was shopping for spices at an Indian market.

You can find it at smallflower.com.

Barry
As the Fedora Lounge hygienist, I would never recommend anything that's called "black monkey" be put in your mouth!! However it is the preferred method of tooth brushing for The Evil Monkey"!!
But really, the toothbrushes and powders that were popular in the golden era really should not be used. They often weren't fortified with flouride. They were usually made of a simple paste of ground pumice stone and water, and they had no whitening or cavity fighting qualities. This is, of course what I've been tought. I don't know if there is a flouride fortified tooth powder out there. I know we strive to live the golden life, but some things should be left in the golden era.

Barry

Practically Family
Well, I certainly don't use it. It's foul stuff - I tossed it after one use.

How about Marvis Toothpaste (from Italy and not a powder)? It contains Flouride but as far as I know it's not ADA approved.

Barry

jeep44

One of the Regulars
As a Civil War reenactor,I see the sutlers selling this stuff at events. Go to Fall Creek Sutlery (fcsutler.com), and under personal items, they have bone and bristle toothbrushes, and "Country Gent" tooth powder-both completely usable.

Daisy Buchanan

jeep44 said:
As a Civil War reenactor,I see the sutlers selling this stuff at events. Go to Fall Creek Sutlery (fcsutler.com), and under personal items, they have bone and bristle toothbrushes, and "Country Gent" tooth powder-both completely usable.
Completely usable, but make sure you check out the ingredients. Some pumice powders can actually be rather harsh and wear down the enamel on your teeth. I'd say they are ok for occasional use, like out in the field fighting a war, but I wouldn't recommend them for everyday use. Aside from the enamel wear, they might not contain the beneficial ingredients that modern toothpastes offer, such as flouride. The minute amount you might get in your drinking water is not enough to sustain healthy strong teeth. It is important to use a flouridated paste. Also, the older brushes might not be as good at removing plaque build up as the newer ones are. This is very important to remove because it is able to get into your blood stream and make you very ill. It is especially detrimental to your heart. Taking care of your teeth isn't just for aesthetic purposes, it is beneficial to your overall health. Gingivitis and periodontal disease are linked to such illnesses as heart disease, diabetes, intestinal disorders, and low birth weight babies (not that you men have to worry about that). Sorry to harp on the subject. Like I said earlier, I know we all strive to live like it's the 30's or 40's, but some things are better left in those eras. Why do you think that nearly 80% of the elderly have lost most if not all of their teeth?? It's not because they didn't brush properly, they just didn't have the advanced dental care, toothpastes and toothbrushes that we have now..If you do choose to use an older style powder and a vintage style brush, I would recommend that you either rinse twice a day with Listerine, which will kill any left over bacteria (you should do this anyway, but I know that a lot of people don't). Or ACT mouthrinse is a great alcohol free flouride suppliment that tastes a lot better than Listerine and is able to re-build small areas of worn enamel. Sorry to go on a rant! I have to put my education to use somehow, and I'm not working at the moment!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Ripper: Mandrake. Mandrake, have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rain water, and only pure-grain alcohol?
Mandrake: Well, it did occur to me, Jack, yes.
Ripper: Have you ever heard of a thing called fluoridation. Fluoridation of water?
Mandrake: Uh? Yes, I-I have heard of that, Jack, yes. Yes.
Ripper: Well, do you know what it is?
Mandrake: No, no I don't know what it is, no.
Ripper: Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Oh yes, I only use this stuff maybe once a month when I am camping at an event,to stay "authentic". I wouldn't dream of using it any other time,although it seems to do a good enough job. I really don't want "period correct" teeth:D

Bespoke

New in Town
Arm & Hammer still makes one...

Jay said:
Does anyone know if you can find that stuff anymore? Do they still make it? Oh, and does anyone know what type of toothbrushes were popular long ago and if they still make any of them. Solid-color straight toothbrushes are getting harder to find...
...and it contains fluoride and tastes nice, too. Every once in a while I pick up a bottle because I like the taste (it has a very fresh, sweet taste like baking soda and aspertame, which is essentially what it is). However, in general, I'd agree with Daisy's recommendation re modern toothbrushes, Listerine and ACT for good overall oral care.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Baking Soda as a Tooth Powder

The only acceptable "powder" I've ever heard of for brushing teeth is good old fashioned baking powder. IMHO, while I suppose it's probably not best to use it all the time, it's certainly a change of pace, especially after squeezing the very last bit of tooth paste from the tube!

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Bespoke said:
Arm & Hammer still makes one and it contains fluoride and tastes nice, too. Every once in a while I pick up a bottle because I like the taste (it has a very fresh, sweet taste like baking soda and aspertame, which is essentially what it is). However, in general, I'd agree with Daisy's recommendation re modern toothbrushes, Listerine and ACT for good overall oral care.

Bespoke, do you know where to get any A&H tooth powder? I used it for a long time, then it just seemed to disappear from the shelves about six months ago. I did an on-line search and found some site that said something like "production of this item has been discontinued." If you know of a source, please tell because I love it.

As for toothbrushes, I use Swissco brushes. They are made in Italy with natural bristles set in a nice vintagey celluloid handle. You can get them in either pearl or tortoise. I've noticed that the first time you use one, you can sort of taste the bristles but it goes away after the first use. I get mine from http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html (as well as the Feather blades I use in my safety razor). Maybe it's my imagination, but the natural bristle seems to really work better for me. It gets between my teeth better than nylon.

Daisy Buchanan

Dinerman said:
Ripper: Mandrake. Mandrake, have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rain water, and only pure-grain alcohol?
Mandrake: Well, it did occur to me, Jack, yes.
Ripper: Have you ever heard of a thing called fluoridation. Fluoridation of water?
Mandrake: Uh? Yes, I-I have heard of that, Jack, yes. Yes.
Ripper: Well, do you know what it is?
Mandrake: No, no I don't know what it is, no.
Ripper: Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?
There are a lot of people in the US who still believe this! They also think that the government puts anti-biotics in the water and that's why there is widespread anti-biotic resistance. I assure you, these are all conspiracy theories. The amount of flouride put into driking water is 2-4ppm, that is a miniscule amount, not nearly enough to cause any harm to even the smallest of children. I have been to quite a few water treatement facilities as part of a project I did while I was in school. I assure you, the amounts are monitored very closely. Once per hour to be exact. The level stays at 2 parts per million, but up to 4 is acceptable. Some people think that it will cause cancer or bone deterioration. There is no proof that flouridated water systems and it's miniscule amount have caused these detriments. One would have to drink an entire bottle of sodium flouride solution from the dentist to even feel sick. That is they have a bad tummy ache and blurred vision which effects decline within 24 hours.
Just a note, as you can see I'm kind of passionate about flouride!!

Baking soda is a good alternative. That gross toothpaste that you get at the dentist is a combination of baking soda and pumice with natural mint essence. It's a great polisher, but be careful, it might just burnish calculus and plaque. Which is it just smooths it out it doesn't actually remove it. But, if that tube of crest is empty, it's much better than nothing. I'd suggest for taste purposes to mix it with mouth rinse, for straight up baking powder tastes really gross! Arm and Hammer actually makes a great toothpaste. They have a new formula that is supposed to regenerate lost tooth enamel and infuse calcium into the roots to make them stronger.

Feraud

Bartender
Daisy Buchanan said:
The amount of flouride put into driking water is 2-4ppm, that is a miniscule amount, not nearly enough to cause any harm to even the smallest of children. I have been to quite a few water treatement facilities as part of a project I did while I was in school. I assure you, the amounts are monitored very closely. Once per hour to be exact. The level stays at 2 parts per million, but up to 4 is acceptable. Some people think that it will cause cancer or bone deterioration. There is no proof that flouridated water systems and it's miniscule amount have caused these detriments. One would have to drink an entire bottle of sodium flouride solution from the dentist to even feel sick. That is they have a bad tummy ache and blurred vision which effects decline within 24 hours.
Just a note, as you can see I'm kind of passionate about flouride!!
Thanks for posting this information Daisy! I have always heard conspiracy talk about flouride in the water, blah, blah...
Let me ask you a question. Why is flouride put in water to begin with?

Bespoke

New in Town
Reno Kid:

The Reno Kid said:
Bespoke, do you know where to get any A&H tooth powder? I used it for a long time, then it just seemed to disappear from the shelves about six months ago. I did an on-line search and found some site that said something like "production of this item has been discontinued." If you know of a source, please tell because I love it.
A&H may very well have discontinued the stuff. It's probably been a year since I last purchased any, but I used to find it at Safeway and Walgreens.
I just did a quick google and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1/104-7944594-9235918?ie=UTF8&keywords=tooth%20powder&rh=n%3A3760931%2Ck%3Atooth%20powder&page=1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy