Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Hat. Costume?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh and my 2 cents worth

PS I wouldn't wear a top hat in a modern wedding. Cary Grant in a morning coat is classic, w/o the topper. It may not work. Think about it. I would NOT go with the Homburg or Derby.

I looked at a relatives wedding pic's the other day, they got married a few years back. Her husband (now ex) and all the best men/ushers wore cowboy hats. It looks stupid. Weddings are a one time shot (you hope!:eek: ) and the "classic" look is what you should go for. The top hat may be a huge distraction. Think about it!

If it helps:
formaltuxedocutawayfrocksummer.jpg

Looks like a tophat to me. :D

Regards,

J

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wore a grey morning suit at my wedding (which I jokingly referred to in the vein of 'mourning' suit, garnering me a handful of playful punches in the arm from my good-humoured wife! lol ) but the idea of wearing a tophat, or any hat for that matter, didn't enter my head. Well, this is Australia, surely the least formal corner of Western civilisation, and as we were married in the same church my parents were married in, and which I'm named after, a hat just wouldn't have seemed appropriate.

That's not to say that it's not entirely appropriate for you, so long, as Andykev has most helpfully pointed out, that the tophat doesn't dominate the day and take attention away from the special union about to take place or from your bride and yourself, who's special day it is.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Andykev said:
THIS IS YOUR LUCKY DAY!

I have a Christy's of LONDON Black beaver TOP HAT in 7 3/8.

I will LEND IT TO YOU, if you pay the shipping both ways and promise that you will send it back! And guarantee that you will pay for it if you damage it, loose it, or whatever. AND DON"T WEAR IT OUT IN THE RAIN.

And how's that? You can guess that the hat will ship for $10 or $15 each way.

Wow, this is amazing. That is SO kind of you, Andykev! You are now my favorite FL member of all time. I will PM you about working out the details directly.

Just to make it clear, I will not wear a hat during the wedding ceremony. Every tradition of gentlemen removing hats indoors and in places of worship dictates against doing so. I would, though, like to have it as an accessory to wear when traveling to the wedding and the reception, and to be able to have some pictures taken wearing it.

I'm so excited! Just yesterday I received the morning coat and trousers I'm going to wear in the wedding (an Ebay find) and am going to take them to the tailor tomorrow. They seem like pretty nice vintage pieces, though I don't know how old they are. I will try and post some pictures here after the wedding takes place.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You are very welcome

I got your PM and address! I will box the hat and ship it out MONDAY, via USPS. Just remember, weddings get crazy, so don't let anyone swipe the hat or sit on it, or toss it in the pool,....you know!lol ;)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Got one of those too!

Marc Chevalier said:
And warn all your guests that it is NOT one of those collapsible (or "opera") top hats!

Oh, I do have one of those also in 7 3/8. It is silk. Obviously as it collapses. The spring mechanism is mint, and so it the cover. It is a Rogers-Peet.

Topper

Vendor
Well it looks like you have got the right form in the end! You shall look splendid! :)

Wedding, traditional wear prior 6pm is morning dress (it's not a suit :eusa_doh: ) a black or dark morning jacket and black grey striped trousers, avec waistcoat, fold down collar and tie. And black ( pref silk) though Christys' fine polished fur felt is still best available modern Topper.

Grey Morning jackets and trousers and grey toppers are traditionally for Royal Ascot, though grey toppers became more acceptable from WWII onwards, as it was near impossible to get good silk plush from France & Germany at the time! :rolleyes: So in UK Moss Bros and various members of Government and Royal reps first started them to be allowed at Royal Garden parties and other events, where before only Black was Traditional. Now days a Grey Topper is acceptable wear at any event even with a black morning dress. (Though grey morning dress should still be reserved to Royal Ascot).

Boutonniere, worn by the men in Groom's party, as groom, you should have a slightly different one - A lovely tradition is your boutonniere is taken from your brides wedding bouquet (also helps old aunties who haven seen you since you were 5 years ols identify , which of the strapping lads is the groom and who is the best man and rest of the party :D )

Pip-pip

Doug

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
TOP HAT SHIPPED

The CHRISTY LONDON Top Hat, beaver, size 7 3/8...was shipped to you today via USPS from Alamo, CA.

You should have it in a couple of days. The shipping was $10.90.

Hope it is great for the wedding.;)

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
Sincere congratulations to you and your bride.

I assume she looked at least as good as you do...the overall look is just great!

AndyK - way to go Bro...the hat may have not made the man...but it looks like it made the WEDDING! HooAhhhhh!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen