Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Hat. Costume?

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I did wear it along with my white tie and tails to my company's Christmas party last year. One very well-dressed young lady expressed her appreciation and said she was worried that she was overdressed for the occasion until she saw me. lol

I actually got quite a few compliments. Then again, I work in the fringes of the entertainment biz, and my co-workers and friends are tolerant of a bit of theatricality. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Tony in Tarzana said:
Let's see, 30 years too old to be a high-schooler, 200 pounds too heavy to be a Japanese diplomat, and the wrong skin tone for Flavor Flav... I guess I'm outta luck, eh?
Naaaw! You'll always have Whiteman!
p_whiteman.jpg

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Tony in Tarzana said:
Let's see, 30 years too old to be a high-schooler, 200 pounds too heavy to be a Japanese diplomat, and the wrong skin tone for Flavor Flav... I guess I'm outta luck, eh?

AdamTopHat03.jpg

Please don't misread my words. YOU look fine. YOUR AVATAR looks fine. In this picture, YOU LOOK VERY DAPPER! Its just that someone else who looks at the photo of you in the tophat would probably guess your occupation (and reason for wearing the topper) is doorman at a posh hotel.

Don't get me wrong...I am not opposed to top hats. In the Golden Era and in the black and white movies of the time, the stars may have looked a little odd to me wearing them, but they pulled it off. Over time, certain articles of dress have evolved (fortunately or unfortunately depending upon how you look at it) into the realm of costume. Its JMHO, but I think the top hat fits that description. Sort of like a woman wearing a bustle today. Today, I think toppers are best left to high-ranking politicians and heads-of-state and only then in the most formal or solemn ceremonies. (Oops, I forgot to mention the horn-tooter at the Kentucky Derby, too!) Even then, they risk looking somewhat foppish. The best and most recent example I can think of was seeing President George Bush in white tie and tails. Hooboy! He looked quite the dandy -- although, thru no fault of his own, quite uncomfortable -- but, if he had added a top hat to that getup, I'd still be laughing my butt off.

If you like 'em...wear 'em. Orgetorix should as well.

When someone asks me for my opinion, I'm still naive enough to tell them what I think as opposed to just parroting what I think they want to hear. Character flaw of mine. I mean no disrespect. Anyway, JMHO on the matter.

D00R

One of the Regulars
heres a top hat i borrowed from my girlfriend..was her late grandfathers hat.
w1ah0.png

She said it looked bad on me, but i liked it:eek:
so its sitting in a closet at her granmothers house in a hat box:(

Edward

Bartender
I woludn't want to wear anything else with tails. They can look affected with other means of dress, but with evening or morning tails, they are merely "correct."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart