Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Quality Biltmore

RBH

Bartender
I have been wearing my new Biltmore Open Road in black alot this weekend.
While I would have rather had another color [the black does work with most anything you would wear]
I will say that if the Open Road was still offered by Biltmore [I speak of the ones posted as of late, not sure if they are making them in Texas now] I would rather have a BOR than a modern Borsalino Alessandria.
While the BOR has a somewhat stiffer felt, the open crown size and shape is far better than the BA I ordered awhile back. The ribbon is stitched better and the brim flange is better in my opinion.
Keep in mind I said modern Borsalino.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sure you're right. But still, I think choice of hat depends on the look on the face and build of the wearer. On me, the BA modern is somewhat better than the untapered Open Road models. I like them both, but the former is better on me. I'm just casting a vote in my case for the BA modern. Come to think of it, I have a Borsalino Alessandria vintage too, and same thing. It is also an excellent one for me. Different models for different folks, I guess it comes down to.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
I have been thinking of ordering one in black as that is all they have left in my size, just to have one of the last Canadian made Biltmores. I doubt I would wear it much, but ya never know. My burnt oak Akubra fedora is such a dark brown in certain light it looks black. I have been asked if Im on the way to Temple.

RBH

Bartender
I'm starting to like that look as well.

A shot of my trimmed Bluegrass Green Campdraft.

011ohv.jpg

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
Well, I won't be getting a black Biltmore Open Road. When I was looking at them on the HatsPlus website, I used the shipping estimate feature. I gave my address (Canada) and was surprised when I was told my order qualified for free shipping. I really didn't think I wanted a black hat, but for $120.00 and free shipping I said what the heck and ordered one. Again on my receipt it said the order qualified for free shipping.
Today I received a request for payment invoice for $28.00 shipping because my order did not qualify for free shippng. I can understand that it costs more to ship to Canada, and the fee is not unreasonable, I just don't want a black hat that badly. I canceled the order and was kindly issued a refund on paypal.
I don't know why I was told that my order was eligible in the first place. Im a little dissapointed.

Walt

One of the Regulars
Well, I won't be getting a black Biltmore Open Road. When I was looking at them on the HatsPlus website, I used the shipping estimate feature. I gave my address (Canada) and was surprised when I was told my order qualified for free shipping. I really didn't think I wanted a black hat, but for $120.00 and free shipping I said what the heck and ordered one. Again on my receipt it said the order qualified for free shipping.
Today I received a request for payment invoice for $28.00 shipping because my order did not qualify for free shippng. I can understand that it costs more to ship to Canada, and the fee is not unreasonable, I just don't want a black hat that badly. I canceled the order and was kindly issued a refund on paypal.
I don't know why I was told that my order was eligible in the first place. Im a little dissapointed.

The free shipping was thru 11/26 so I assume you ordered yesterday, but was also probably only for the US. Probably an oversight on their web code that it didn't cancel out the free shipping for outside of the US. I'm guessing they may get a special rate with UPS in the US but not across the border...

Their inventory control that keeps showing hats being available in sizes/color combinations they don't have is also annoying. The site has gone back and forth with the color caribou being unavailable and then available. It appeared yesterday as available so that along with the free shipping--and the reality of the end-of-the-road for a fine Canada hat got me to jump. Then within a few minutes I received an email saying, sorry but that color isn't available. I went ahead and got a black one (after again saying no thanks to that Pinch model). Since I have loads of vintage bowlers, homburgs and cowboy hats in black I wasn't going to--but I decided what the heck and did it. Hopefully I will like a black diamond crown fedora! Wonder if there was a way to lighten the color other than putting it in the sun. Also wonder if doing a wet bash will take some of the dye out....

You might try contacting all the retailers in Canada that carry Biltmore just in case you never know as someone might have one. I managed to find at least one other source in the US but the price was crazy high.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
Sadly, there are not many retailers in Canada that carry Biltmores, and of the ones that do finding an open crown is impossible. 90 % of Biltmores business was the US market.
I couldn't drive to the nearest hat retailer for the $28.00 that the shipping would have cost, but I just don't think a black hat would get much wear. (I can always change my mind until they are sold out!)

RBH

Bartender
Hoyt.. I was afraid that would happen.
But as a side note.... I canceled on my first order. Then later went ahead with the black.
Walt, like you I did not care for the pinch model.
But I have to say I am really liking the black one.....

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Perry's Biltmore "Open Road"

pw013.jpg

pw012.jpg

Biltmore OR in Caribou. I'm impressed! It's almost a charcoal color. This was the last Caribou in a 6 7/8, so I will have to stretch it a bit. I went ahead and ordered a silver belly too. I think a good deal for $120.

pw015.jpg

pw014.jpg

pw016.jpg

Sorry pics aren't great, I'm at work. Rick this is from Hat-plus.com. They still have some stock in mostly Silver Belly, Black and Fawn.
Looks like it's technically called the Wilderness, the stamp is from 2002---- old stock?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
On Biltmore's site, they have PDF's of Past years catalogs. I just went through all of them going back to 2006 and they have only listed an "Open Road" styled hat 3 times since then.

Fall/Winter 2006 lists two hats with the Model name Wilderness. One is pre-shaped and one looks like an open crowned model. The open crowned model looks just like the "Open Road." I believe that the "Open Road" name was a model designation that was specific to hats-plus and that when ordering the hat from Biltmore, it was just called the "Wilderness."

http://www.biltmorehats.com/pdf/biltmore_hats_fall_winter_2006.pdf

BiltmoreFall-Winter2006.jpg

Fall/Winter 2011 only lists one model as a "Wilderness" and it has a pre-formed crown. There appears to have been no open crown model

http://www.biltmorehats.com/pdf/Biltmore_Fall_11.pdf

BiltmoreFall-Winter2011.jpg

Fall/Winter 2012 has no mention of a "Wilderness" model referring to an open road style hat. Here the hat is called the "Calgary." Its pre-formed and yet again there is no open crown option. It appears the last year for an open crown option was 2006.

http://www.biltmorehats.com/pdf/Biltmore_Fall_Winter_2012.pdf

BiltmoreFall-Winter2012.jpg

And here is a felt color swatch catalog. The page that I copied was for the Rossellini "Open Road" which I have never seen. Its the only model name to have its own swatch page. The other pages are for quality designations and felt finishes.

Biltmore2011OpenRoadSwatchs.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff