Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Quality Biltmore

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I have been emailing Biltmore about the Open Door. Biltmore makes a hat called the Calgary that is like the Open Road. The Calgary has the same dimensions as the open crown hat that was sold to Miller Hats. They do not have a hat called the Open Door on file since it was a name that Miller used. This is not uncommon, we have hats at our shop that use a local or old name for a hat the differ from the name that the maker uses. Anyway the Calgary can be ordered open crown if you want to crease it yourself. That said the hat will not have closeout pricing.

Jeff
http://delmonicohatter.com

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I was in Mr. Hats in Memphis trying hats on. They have a new hat, an older model, a Royal Biltmore, in a grey that is about the same color as my Caribou Stetson Saxon. Size 7 1/4 I recall, but it was only $100.00. Anyway, it was nice, fit me better than the Stetson and was a tad softer. If I did not already have that color, I would have gotten it over the Stetson. T hought I would let someone know. They could probably take a cell phone pic for you. Hope someone snags it

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
I sure wished I had thought of this a couple years ago, but when I used to go to the Biltmore factory outlet store in Guelph, I would ask about having a hat made. They always told me that I needed to order at least 12 before they would do that. I think I would have been able to convince enough loungers to jump on board and come up with a workable order.
I'm pretty good at thinking of things too late.

-30-

A-List Customer
"I'm pretty good at thinking of things too late."
QUOTE: Hoyt Clagwell.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda, & 20-20; many are afflicted.

Regards,
-30-

Walt

One of the Regulars
A hat retailer contacted Biltmore for me yesterday and told me they could get a custom order hat (single hat) from the Milano Garland, TX plant but it would be ~$258 plus $20 "special fee" plus more for shipping! Of course I said no thanks. I can't imagine the quality of materials and assembly would be anywhere near what an original ~$150 Canada made hat would have been let alone be worth such a high price they were quoting. So apparently it is possible to get a one off hat from them....should anyone be interested.

For that money I'd go to one of our well respected custom hatters instead.

Duper

Practically Family
I called HatPlus today looking for a caribou in 7 1/8. It was listed as available on their site. I particularly wanted the Silver Buckle version. The clerk called their warehouse to verify stock and unfortunately they only had the open crown hat in silver belly.

Like Maxwell Smart used to say,,,"Missed it by that much!".

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Biltmore is in a sort of in an unstable position right now. I've been told by other stores to be careful of what one orders from the new TX factory. They are not used to be making dress hats . It is a western factory . It will take time until they have the work done properly.

Walt

One of the Regulars
I've also have several vendors express to me their dissatisfaction with the new Garland hats with some saying they won't carry Biltmore anymore unless they get their quality back. One things for sure, if they don't get it together I don't expect the brand will last.

I just wish I had bought more before Canada shut down, but always finding yet another vintage to buy kept me from doing that every month...

Walt

One of the Regulars
In trying to track down open crown canada hats to buy and I find vendors wanting a lot of money. I thought these hats retailed for under $200?!?!? One told me they had one for $250... Too high of a retail markup or knowing these are discontinued so cashing in? Hats Plus listed their regular price @ $150 and now lower for closeout so what a discrepancy (they don't have my size so they are out for me). Maybe there was a higher grade sort of like an Imperial vs Heritage Akubra and that explains the price differences? Otherwise talk about sky high markups.

I'm sorry but more than $200 and I just think might as well go custom....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183