Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TRADE?? Stunning 1940s 5X 7 1/4 Breyer Chicago Fedora

Chris Dillon

Familiar Face
I fell in love with this hat, even though it wasn't my size.

I bought this hat, even though it wasn't my size.

I still want this hat, even thought it isn't my size. . . .

. . . I just can't make it work on my big dome. Wouldn't dare forcing something so nice.

I would LOOOVVEEE to trade someone something similar in a 7 1/2 (mayyybe a 7 3/8). Please e-mail me at cdillon1939@gmail.com

Labels & Marks:

“Superb Quality BREYER, Chicago - CUSTOM MADE”

“BEAVER 5 X QUALITY”

“Breyer's Hat Stores, Chicago”

“7 1-4”

Approximate measurements:

Brim = 2 3/4” wide

Inner band circumference = 22 5/8”

EXCELLENT Condition:

Overall EXCELLENT condition. The crown & brim are a little dusty, the print at the lining has a little color run and there's a discoloration/color run ? smudge at the hat band center back. (See close-up photo.) No moth chew or bites. Comes from smoke free environment.

breyerfedora01.jpg

breyerfedora04.jpg

breyerfedora06.jpg

breyerfedora07.jpg

breyerfedora09.jpg

Last edited:

Chris Dillon

Familiar Face
The hat measures 8 inches long X 6 1/2 inches wide. It seems that it's somewhat larger than 7 1/4 but just slightly smaller than 7 3/8.

I'm a solid 7 1/2 and I suppose I could wear it, but I'm not going to risk deforming and ruining it.

@dogrocketp: If a trade doesn't work out after a while, you will be the first to know. I will only ask what I paid which was 265+s&h

Cheers!
-Chris

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
I have a very rare Dobb's Cross Country 'Two-Toner' that I'd be willing to trade. The brim is only 2 1/4", the crown a nice height, in mostly good condition. One weak spot on the crown. It's marked 7.5, but rides a tad bigger. BUT, it could easily be brought back down a size - the leather and the felt are both very workable. PM me for more info.
IMG_2405.jpg

Chris Dillon

Familiar Face
I appreciate all the offers guys, but I was leaning more towards something that looks pretty similar to the original one posted, just in my size. That being said, I am still totally open to offers! Thanks!!!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The brim is 2 3/4? Send the hat to Art or Optimo in Chicago. They can install a new sweat in your size (and new ribbon). I'd go with Art.
You will lose a bit of brim width in the conversion. It's done all the time. I predict "trade" will be hard seeing as you will need to find someone out there with virtually the same style hat/color..and they have one "too big", where yours is "too small". Good Luck.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Well, I guess we all have our own opinions. I suggest not to replace the sweatband and leave it original. When I see a nice vintage fedora and notice that it does not have the original sweat or lining, well, I just think to myself, "what in the world happened"? But, since it is your hat and you choose to do that, then go for it.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, I guess we all have our own opinions.

Yes, it was my opinion, and perhaps a recommendation as well. I have several beautiful vintage hats which have had the sweatband changed. I posted back in 2004 or 2005 (Johnny J...you probably were not here then) about how I accidentally ruined a sweatband with application of heat (hair dryer). Thing shriveled up. The hat, a gorgeous Cavanagh in milk chocolate brown, was sent out for a new sweat. Came back great. It is still one of my favorite hats. Perhaps purists cringe at changing vintage stuff...but I have always said, like tires on an antique car, they gotta be changed if you are gonna enjoy the car... Perhaps you also are unaware, but Art Fawcett has a big supply of authentic VINTAGE ribbon. Same stuff used back in the day.

metropd

One Too Many
Well, I guess we all have our own opinions. I suggest not to replace the sweatband and leave it original. When I see a nice vintage fedora and notice that it does not have the original sweat or lining, well, I just think to myself, "what in the world happened"? But, since it is your hat and you choose to do that, then go for it.
I agree 1000%.

Iyor

One of the Regulars
I agree with andykev, you should just send it to a hatter to have resized as you are unlikely to find a suitable trade. I've used Gary White(custom-hatter.com), and Jwalls(d bar j) for this type of work, both did very good jobs and I would use either again. I remember when I mentioned something like this on the lounge someone said I'm destroying the history of the hat, but I would rather wear it than worry about history, I'm not a museum.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Yes, it was my opinion, and perhaps a recommendation as well. [...] I posted back in 2004 or 2005 (Johnny J...you probably were not here then)

Andy, sorry if that didn't come out right. I just wanted to say IMO Chris should keep it original. And you are absolutely right, I was not here at the lounge back in 2004 or 2005. :) But you gotta admit that you can appreciate more a vintage 1940s fedora in its original state, especially when the leather sweatband is intact. Now if the sweat was falling apart, well, then thats different.

Iyor

One of the Regulars
Andy, sorry if that didn't come out right. I just wanted to say IMO Chris should keep it original. And you are absolutely right, I was not here at the lounge back in 2004 or 2005. :) But you gotta admit that you can appreciate more a vintage 1940s fedora in its original state, especially when the leather sweatband is intact. Now if the sweat was falling apart, well, then thats different.

IMO whether its too small, or the sweat is falling apart they both prevent you from wearing the hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats