Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tragic dimensions to what we do?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I think there is such thing as passion. What is the point of life but what we decide to make it, after all?

But if an obsession does not give back, as stated above, that is different. I guess only the person involved can truly know. I am sure some of our greatest minds were obsessive. Were Edison and Einstein obsessed with their respective fields? yes. But great men.

Anothe issue with collecting though, is clutter. Clutter in and of itself, can drain the life right out of us.

Both on a physical space and an energetic level.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
reetpleat said:
don't be so sure that obsessive collecting is not dealing with werious emotional issues.
You've misunderstood me, and I see how easily. What I intended to say was "collectors who decide their collections are destroying them ARE dealing with serious emotional addiction problems; but someone who is struggling against a chemical addiction (of whatever sort) is battling a physical one, as well: in other words, body chemistry."

I think we're on the same page on this one....

"Skeet"

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
And the lady that dies with 600 sets of bath towels, just in case.....is for all purposes just as -sad- and erm for lack of a better term 'mental' as the man who dies with a million 78's in his house.

That describes a lot of people who grew up during the Depression.

I think of collecting as selecting items of good quality that you will enjoy. They're stored or displayed with care, and catalogued if necessary. And if you enjoy it and it doesn't hurt you or anyone else, I don't see any problem with it. Aunt Helen, for example, has thousands of movies, stored and catalogued. She's also a happy person with an active social life.

The lady with 600 sets of bath towels is hoarding. The person who can't throw anything away has some problems.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
That describes a lot of people who grew up during the Depression.

I think of collecting as selecting items of good quality that you will enjoy. They're stored or displayed with care, and catalogued if necessary. And if you enjoy it and it doesn't hurt you or anyone else, I don't see any problem with it. Aunt Helen, for example, has thousands of movies, stored and catalogued. She's also a happy person with an active social life.

The lady with 600 sets of bath towels is hoarding. The person who can't throw anything away has some problems.

My point was more that Collecting something practical....to the same point that someone collects something 'less practical but enjoyable',.....is really no more or less tragic....judging this by -what- is the collection or obsession....is pretty funny if you ask me.

Because if we go by -my value judgement-, the guy with 300 fedoras...is -also- hoarding. ;)

Collecting is collecting....

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Modern Attitude, Vintage Burnout?

I wonder if the problem is taking a vintage interest and applying a modern, more is better, bigger is better, buy it on credit, just don't let it pass you by attitude towards it.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Paisley said:
I wonder if the problem is taking a vintage interest and applying a modern, more is better, bigger is better, buy it on credit, just don't let it pass you by attitude towards it.

One problem is that with time, I've learned how to find really great vintage cheaply. In terms of money (though not time and energy), too cheaply. It makes the obsession that much easier to feed.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
In a nutshell, you're describing me. :(

I'm dangerously close to this point.

Shyness and mistrust of people can lead to this. Though a teacher by profession, I'm at heart a loner.

Obsessive collecting demands much time, perhaps a lot of money (especially over the years), and often space. In my case, space is quite limited, and my collections are closing in on us fast.

My problem is that I have focused on collecting things that are pretty much one-of-a-kind, and are used as physical extensions of myself: vintage tobacco pipes, ties, suits and sportcoats, shoes, hats, and even antique absinthe spoons. Practically all of the stuff is of very high quality. Therefore, the pile is especially hard to let go of, as I perceive that these difficult-to-replace objects make me look good. They project a very specific and arcane image that I want to have of myself, and want others to have of me.

It is indeed hard to part with something that is rare. I never understood people who collect things like nascar collectibles. They seem common enough. But a one of a kind object may be irreplacable.

As far as money though, often, a knowledgeable collector can finance their hobby by buying and selling.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Before I was dealing full time, I used to play a game. I would never spend cash at Wasteland. I could only bet things in trade. So, a little money spent, but not much.

Once I was full time, it was a matter of making enough money that I would just buy anything I liked within reason. But I could still argue that my vintage dealing paid for all my own stuff.

Speaking of one of a kind stuff, when I think of all the stuf I let go because it wasn't the best and could bring a decent price. But I could never replace it today for any price.

Cream rayon suit, a smidge too big, sell. Blue suit with red pinstripe, a smidge long, sell. Oh, how I wish I had kept some of those things. but back then it seemed like the supply was endless. I am sure you know what I mean.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
reetpleat said:
... back then it seemed like the supply was endless. I am sure you know what I mean.

I remember. Back in the early '80s, the L.A. Weekly newspaper ran advertisements for the many vintage clothing stores on Melrose Avenue. These ads would show pictures of deadstock 1930s and '40s spectator shoes: "New shipment in! $35-$45 a pair!" In those days, I was a high school kid with very little money and even less knowledge. Guess I've been making up for it since then.

In the early '90s, good stuff was still to be had. I once passed on a '40s double-breasted gab "Nudie's" suit custom-made for Gene Autry. At Wasteland! For some mysterious reason it was cheap, and I could have exchanged for it -- ah, but too big. Duh!

To prepare for my move to Chile in '98, I sold off my very best vintage. Unfortunately, I got to hear about what happened to some of those pieces afterward. The finest suit suffered a multiple moth attack; a pair of rare spectators was dropped in water.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Limiting and rewarding...

As well as being a collector, I am also a musician specializing in the 20s-40s.

Although I could easily make more money playing music outside my area of interest, my heart just isn't in it, and if your heart isn't in the music you play, it usually shows. Not fun to play or to hear!

It isn't worth it to sell out - I couldn't respect myself and it would not give me satisfaction.

I gave it the good old college try with the short-lived gig i just had - the owner wanted "show tunes" and "fifties" but by fifties, he meant country and western (although he let me go to try opera!)... not my cup of tea. And it made a big difference in the tip jar when I tried to satisfy him instead of me.

BE TRUE TO YOURSELF! Ultimately you don't have to please anyone else, and you will end up happier if you are not trying to compromise your taste and dilute your enthusiasm to suit anyone else.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
One problem is that with time, I've learned how to find really great vintage cheaply. In terms of money (though not time and energy), too cheaply. It makes the obsession that much easier to feed.

Half the fun to me is finding the bargain.

If I won the lottery, surely i would buy some choice stuff. But some of the fun might be gone.

Flivver

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
BE TRUE TO YOURSELF! Ultimately you don't have to please anyone else, and you will end up happier if you are not trying to compromise your taste and dilute your enthusiasm to suit anyone else.

This is the advice I followed regarding my "obcessive" automotive hobby and it has served me well for years.

My 2nd grade teacher told my Mom that my "obcession" with automobiles was unhealthy and that my Mom should discourage it. Mom paid no attention to the teacher (probably realizing she couldn't change me anyway) and as a result, I have had a very rewarding 30 year career as an automotive product planner, consultant and analyst.

Following the beat of your own drummer, as long as it's not a destructive beat, is one of the most important lessons to be learned in life. It certainly has worked for me.

Elizabeth.F

Familiar Face
This is a rather fascinating topic for me, so I feel I should add my two cents. ;)

I sometimes wonder what the difference between a hobby and an obsession is, and when you've crossed that line. This thought really only comes up because of my age (I'm under 20), and I have little to no interest in the modern world. I don't really "hang out" with people of my own age, and the last couple of times I tried, I found I had absolutely nothing to talk to them about, and I sort of got shunned. I end out talking to people with similiar interests, or to people over 60, who think its cute that I dress like THEIR grandmothers (I like to look 1920s.)

I really don't think that being interested in vintage is any different than being up to date. How is a girl who is obsessed with getting the latest purse any different than a person who is on the search for that perfect hat, and is it any more dangerous? While its never good to put TOO much passion into anything material, I think it is really difficult to pass into insanity in this case!

I think maybe the only reason why we think we could be "obsessed" and while a trendy person may not, is that vintage isn't everywhere and isn't changing. Thus, a trendy girl's focus is always changing, while ours isn't.

Personally, I don't think that I'm "obsessed". Sure, I might spend an hour looking in old catalogs, but how is that any different from a "normal" person pouring over a gossip magazine? I'm happy (shunning and all!) when I'm dressed up and talking to the person in the antique store. I am not happy when I just blend in and be around people my own age with "normal" interests. Also, all of my collections are USED. I read the old books, (try) to use the old sheet music, and listen to the old music. They are not for bragging rights, they are for my own enjoyment and I take pleasure in looking to supplement my collections.

My conclusion, therefore, is that you are only truly obsessed if your collections do not make you happy because you are always looking for more. If you can settle back among your treasures and don't obsess over what you don't have, then you are perfectly sane and normal!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Elizabeth.F said:
This is a rather fascinating topic for me, so I feel I should add my two cents. ;)

I sometimes wonder what the difference between a hobby and an obsession is, and when you've crossed that line. This thought really only comes up because of my age (I'm under 20), and I have little to no interest in the modern world. I don't really "hang out" with people of my own age, and the last couple of times I tried, I found I had absolutely nothing to talk to them about, and I sort of got shunned. I end out talking to people with similiar interests, or to people over 60, who think its cute that I dress like THEIR grandmothers (I like to look 1920s.)

Thirty years ago, I was you. And it was exactly the same then as it is now, I imagine -- the only kind of non-conformity that is tolerated is the *right kind* of non-conformity.

Elizabeth.F said:
I think maybe the only reason why we think we could be "obsessed" and while a trendy person may not, is that vintage isn't everywhere and isn't changing. Thus, a trendy girl's focus is always changing, while ours isn't.

Personally, I don't think that I'm "obsessed". Sure, I might spend an hour looking in old catalogs, but how is that any different from a "normal" person pouring over a gossip magazine? I'm happy (shunning and all!) when I'm dressed up and talking to the person in the antique store. I am not happy when I just blend in and be around people my own age with "normal" interests. Also, all of my collections are USED. I read the old books, (try) to use the old sheet music, and listen to the old music. They are not for bragging rights, they are for my own enjoyment and I take pleasure in looking to supplement my collections.

My conclusion, therefore, is that you are only truly obsessed if your collections do not make you happy because you are always looking for more. If you can settle back among your treasures and don't obsess over what you don't have, then you are perfectly sane and normal!

Obsession is in the eye of the beholder, really, and it's often used as a club to beat those of whom the beholder is jealous. "Wow, you've sure got a lot of/know a lot about (you name it.) I guess you really must be *obsessed* or something..." Such ones are best ignored.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
Sometimes I think people need distraction and some sense of accomplishment wherever they can get it. One can argue that a 1,000-piece puzzle is a waste of time, but someone out there is putting one together right now. Maybe it is "unhealthy" to spend all of your time adding to your collection of vintage thimbles or posting to vintage-themed websites (ahem) but we're all just trying to get through this life, and whatever makes you happy, I say, do it. Everybody got their somethin'.

Fletch said:
We deal with old, lost things. Where you find them you will typically find lost people - those who are withdrawn or limited or broken somehow. So we have to deal at some point with lost people, and the possibility that we might become lost ourselves... I more or less gave up serious 78 record collecting – which I loved – ...a cost you didn't expect, that you weren't prepared to pay? That what you were after was a world, and there might not be a place for you in it?

Something very close to this. Yes. Those of you who know me can fill in the blanks.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
One thing Ive learned is that its healthier for me to collect something I cant possibly own every single one of, than the 'collect them all' manufactured collections of today.

I will never own every vintage button manufactured from 1940-1945. Im fine with that, mostly. So I continue a low steady stream of collection, instead of a super panic when they are all released at one time and I have to get them before they end up on eBay for 20 times their starting price.

Im always looking out, its always in the back of my mind, and I think that makes it fun. I often retrace my favorite places after a few weeks to see if something new has come up. Sure sometimes there is a spike of availability, and you want all you see, but then I ration out in my head: "Which are the best?" "Which are others likely to go after first?" "Which do I really want?" and I fight for those.

Thats my own rational and thus far its worked fairly well. I guess I had to build in dicipline, which has been hard, but Id like to think its working :)

LD

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I think there is a fine line between passion and obsession. The passion often makes you euforic, animated and other positive reacions, but being obsessed is about negative feeling, like the ones posted above (the feeling of never having enough, have to collect them all etc.).

If a person has a passion about something, I think the people close should just encourage that, having something like that is quite a positive thing and i also think, healthy for the soul.

I used to be VERY much into education and schoolwork, I thrived learning and according to Mensa, I am quite intelligent. But I used to have such a strong passion for makeup and I wanted to be a makeup artist (it was fun, without limits and made me relax), but because that wasn't 'brainy' everyone around me looked down on me for that and didn't hold back saying so - and because of that attitude, I ventured another direction. I wish people would be more encouraging when it comes to others passions, wether it is collecting records, finding vintage buttons or what it may be - instead of dismissing it because it just isn't what interests them.

I would rather have a strong passion for something and being a little stumped on another level, than being a perfect rounded human being.

EDIT : In my opinion, most spectacular things created have been by people with either a VERY strong passion or most definitly an obsession..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy