Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trains and travel of the Art Deco Era.

It also helps to note that PRR cheated--only streamlined one K4 (pictured) for each pair of trains, assigned them during daylight hours and used conventional steam at night when nobody could see.

In essence, the "Fleet of Modernism" was as much smoke-and-mirrors as reality (right down to a lot of the fleet being old heavyweight cars with fresh paint applied), while NYC despite only directly upgrading their "Top Tier" named trains was more "What You See Is What You Get"--and there, even the second string benefited because fairly plush cars bumped off the first-lines were transferred to them. (In tech today it's called "Early Adopters", where you pay a premium to be the first kid with a new toy and them the folks who come in later get it cheaper.)

CharlieB

A-List Customer
It also helps to note that PRR cheated--only streamlined one K4 (pictured) for each pair of trains, assigned them during daylight hours and used conventional steam at night when nobody could see.

In essence, the "Fleet of Modernism" was as much smoke-and-mirrors as reality (right down to a lot of the fleet being old heavyweight cars with fresh paint applied), while NYC despite only directly upgrading their "Top Tier" named trains was more "What You See Is What You Get"--and there, even the second string benefited because fairly plush cars bumped off the first-lines were transferred to them. (In tech today it's called "Early Adopters", where you pay a premium to be the first kid with a new toy and them the folks who come in later get it cheaper.)

One big factor was the GG1 in 1934 and the advent of streamlined diesel locomotives. They pretty much made the idea of streamlining steam locos obsolete.

I just like the painting for the romance of golden era railroading, and after all, isn't that what we are attempting to recapture, or at least wish we could?

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
00537kwb

York, 1968

Originally uploaded by loose_grip_99 @ Flickr

Lord K,

Thanks for posting some great images! You may be interested to know, that "Bittern", is still going strong, and passed through Northampton, UK, in March this year.

Here's a few pics I took:

Bittern004.jpg

Bittern010.jpg

Bittern013.jpg

Cheers,

Danny O

Jish1969

Familiar Face
I was driving down to Zoar valley for some kayaking and finally stopped to shoot the old New York and Lake Erie train in Gowanda. The passenger cars were pretty decrepit, but the engines still looked great. The depot is now a small museum which unfortunately wasnt open, but someday I will get back down there and see if I can get inside the cars.
funday010.jpg
[/IMG]
funday011.jpg
[/IMG]
funday015.jpg
[/IMG]
funday016.jpg
[/IMG]
funday023.jpg
[/IMG]
funday046.jpg
[/IMG]

lord_k

One of the Regulars
I was driving down to Zoar valley for some kayaking and finally stopped to shoot the old New York and Lake Erie train in Gowanda. The passenger cars were pretty decrepit, but the engines still looked great. The depot is now a small museum which unfortunately wasnt open, but someday I will get back down there and see if I can get inside the cars.
Thanks, great photos!

lord_k

One of the Regulars
Chicago & North Western E-4 Hudson

New Alco-built streamlined 4-6-4 Hudson-type steam locomotives were ordered prewar, designed by renowned industrial designer Otto Kuhler, the most powerful Hudsons ever manufactured, a total of nine delivered to C&NW in 1938.
CNW-E-4-Hudson-18x24-Print-.jpg

They were used tto head up many California-bound trains between Chicago and Omaha, including the Forty-Niner, the Los Angeles Limited, and the Pacific Limited.

More pictures & info

Image by Mark Karvon

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
the Liner lives!

This past weekend, two treasures of vintage electric railway design returned to service at central PA's Rockhill Trolley Museum. The anticipated reintroduction of Newark City Subway car number 6 was nearly overshadowed by the unexpected reappearance of the Red Arrow Lines articulated train, the Liberty Liner named Independence Hall. One Rockhill volunteer inspected the Liner and worked late into the night last Friday to make the Liner work again, having not run since 1996.

[video=youtube;OggfP8zJKmI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OggfP8zJKmI[/video]

PCC car 6 was retired in 2001, deteriorated in outdoor storage for 10 years, and was finally shipped to an appreciative home in the beginning of April. In only about a month, several Rockhill volunteers (including myself) washed 75% of the car, applied new decals, mounted a second trolley pole needed for museum service, and cleaned the car to make it operable. I had the privilege of moving the car under its own power for the first time in its museum service life... a 5-foot backup move to test the car. I gladly vacated the operator's chair to let our project leader run the first real trip!

229392_10150189444116644_158620121643_7390817_5064  707_n.jpg

Car 6's very Art Deco interior.
225372_10150189445006644_158620121643_7390849_6007  798_n.jpg

Here, 6 is joined by fellow PCC car 2743, from Philadelphia.
250512_10150189444886644_158620121643_7390845_2829  879_n.jpg

249458_10150188007176644_158620121643_7379601_4649  948_n.jpg

6 will be in regular service, running several weekends out of every month in rotation with Rockhill's other historic trolleys. The Liner requires massive amounts of electricity to run, so it is not in regular service. Still, the museum is investigating ways to put this now-unique train back in public operation.

Personally, 6 became my favorite of the museum's collection the day it first arrived on the property. I'll surely be washing the remaining messy quarter of the car's surface and running it for passengers whenever I get the chance! Perhaps I'll see a few of you there. This car now departing for Newark Penn Station, all aboard!

-Steven

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner