Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transformers... how about it?

Jovan

Suspended
I was very impressed. Michael Bay actually makes a good movie for once.

Be warned: If you're offended by some adult humour or massive amounts of CGI, it's not your kind of movie. There was never anything that looked incredibly out of place about the CGI used, however. Now, I thought some of the lines were a bit cheesy, but overall this was a pretty cool movie to watch. The material was handled very well and it's not just a two hour ad for the toys... think Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I plan on seeing it eventually. I actually got paid to watch a trailer for it at the mall once lol a whopping $2!!! It was the same trailer they had been playing on tv and that I had seen repeatedly at ShoWest when I was setting up for that. I thik that may be what made me want to see it, hearing/seeing the Transformers trailer consistantly for 2 days in a row while I was working on another booth. I was dissapointed that the car and truck never transformed and saved me though :p

anabolina

A-List Customer
Horrible, horrible, horrible. I actually just got back from walking out of it early. I made it to about 2 hours and couldn't watch a second more. It occured to me that I was wasting precious moments of my life of this, this, bad movie.

I loved the CGI (one of the only reason I stayed 2 hours) and the adult humor was okay. But the acting was horrible for the most part. The creepy 7 dude with all his oiliness. Of course the purported hero played by Shia Lebeof <sp?> spent the movie drenched in sweat no matter the scene. Was this filmed in the summer because all the characters has some serious sweat action going.

Besides the acting, the storyline was so cliche. None of it is new and as someone who only vaguely recalls transformers, I was hoping for an interesting story. Maybe someone who was interested in it before will like it much better then I did. I was just the rampant disrespect for the government and military that got to me. I mean I got to the point where I was rooting for whoever was against the two kids, no matter their plan. I mean when you're rooting for the villains because the heroes are so annoying, there's gotta be something wrong with your movie. Also making aliens responsible for every recent technological advancement has only been done, what 100 times before, usually better then this was. That was really what make me leave. Making fun of the government was enough to make we mst3k the characters (there was only about 10 people in the theater, none around me and my brother), but that cliche made me get up and leave. It was just so yawn inducing.

I guess this film is focued on the young male demographic, I mean the previews certainly were, and my brother is still there watching it. Thank goodness we took 2 cars (we both were on our way home from work).

Don't get me wrong, this movie has lots of great special effects and some of the scenes are great. There's a scene nearer the beginnning where the soldiersare attacked in an old/ ruined arab town by the cool scorpion robots things and I loved it. Lots of explosions, the cell phone guy, I mena I was thinking this would be a great movie. I wonder how good it would be if you cut out the teenage angst angle? Yes I've typed this review in even though I hated most of the movie, but I do care about it. the same was I was rooting for the butterfly robot to be destroyed. That's about the time I left.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Being someone who watched the show religiously as a child, and owns the Rhino DVD release of all 4 seasons, PLUS whos first ever movie WAS Transformers the movie, I seriously doubt I will be seeing this in the theater.

Rental at best. It looks as bad as it looks.

The show was ridiculously cheesy, but it had a heart to it. And from what my frined have told me, its not worth it.

Still, my heart will forever belong to Optimus Prime. :rolleyes:

LD

Ah, but Peter Cullen's voicing Prime again.

Although it still doesn't look right... in my thoughts, Megatron will always be a heavily accesorized pistol, Optimus will always be a flatnose semi, Bumblebee a VW, and Starscream and his whacked-out "wingbots" F-15 Eagles, or F-15 fuselages with different wings. Not to mention Soundwave and all his microcassette buddies...

"I'm feeling ambivalent right now."--Chloe, 24

Rosie

One Too Many
I'm not sure if I will see it. I rarely see movies in the theater anyway, I usually wait until they hit dvd or come on cable. My current beau wants to see this (he's not much of a theater guy either) so, maybe we'll go, [huh].

Feraud

Bartender
Are expectations really high for a film about transforming alien robots?
I think the film wants to appeal to the same demographic the cartoon
did.

Perhaps a reviewing of The Fountain is in order. :)

anabolina

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Are expectations really high for a film about transforming alien robots?
I think the film wants to appeal to the same demographic the cartoon
did.

Perhaps a reviewing of The Fountain is in order. :)

I guess its good to keep expectations low. when my brother came home from the movie he told me that I should have just ignored the people and focused on the robots. They were cool I suppose. But men will probably like the movie more because also had a lot more eyecandy in this movie for them then women get. If they'd shown those military guys on the screen more often I would have stuck out the entire of the movie...

This is just another Hollywood attempt to capitalize on something that has bee around for what--20 years now? Another example of "we can't make anything new anymore Hollywood." :eusa_doh: I wouldn't see it if they paid me.
I can see we are going to get another Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, Spiderman and Batman on the horizon. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
griffer said:
Wait, I am confused, is this an endorsement??

I know. Talk about a terrible movie! Pirates 2 was walk out worthy if anything is.

I'm seeing Transformers today at 4. After working for 6 months on the terrible Transformers video game, I still look forward to it. Shia has always been pretty good and Megan Fox is "Fox by name AND Fox by occupation." But that hardly even matters; the robots and action just look darn good.

+Peter Cullen. Hugo Weaving should die for taking Frank Welker's place, but you get what you get.

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
I'm getting a lot of mixed messages here, am I to assume the picture was:

"More than meets the eye"?

do the autobots still

"wage their battles to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons"?

Sorry, just having the original Transformers: The Movie title song playing through my head the last few days, both sons totally into the transforming vehicle trip right now. They're 5 and 4.....

dv

Nashoba

One Too Many
Well based on the consensus I think I'm glad that my husband will probably see it when it shows up among the rest of the pirated movies they sell in the Iraqi market. Which is good. Let him watch it with his Marines, spares me the headache

Dalexs

Practically Family
I took my 10 year old and one of his friends to see it last night.
And I will state for the record, after seeing 3 sequels so far this summer,
that totally sucked , Transformers was refreshing.

Yes, the acting was not that great, but come on folks, its a movie based on a cartoon based on TOYS!

I was a bit worried about the CGI, but it worked, and the "acting" by the CGI was probably better then the humans.

I never actually watched the show growing up, so if you are some diehard geekhead Transformer freak, you're probalby not gonna like it.

But the kids absolutely loved it (age 10) and I came out not hating it.

Dalexs

Jovan

Suspended
Dalexs said:
I never actually watched the show growing up, so if you are some diehard geekhead Transformer freak, you're probalby not gonna like it.
Actually, me and several other people I know who grew up watching the show loved it.

Elaina

One Too Many
I was forbidden into coming into the theatre with my 8 year old son, his 12 year old friend and that boy's 15 year old brother. I went and saw Live Free and Die Hard. Got my eye candy in.

While that was a blessing in disguise (ever get hit on for 4 hours by a tennage hormone?) my husband and I are going to go see it next week sometime. Stuff blows up. Like the show. I'm cool with it.

According to the children whom actually got to see it my end, it was "totally awesome" and "so much better then the cartoon network stuff. Things BLOW up!" Pretty good for me when my kid says I'd like it because enough stuff blows up it'd be worth my time.

Dalexs

Practically Family
Jovan said:
Actually, me and several other people I know who grew up watching the show loved it.

That's good. From the various reviews I've read (after seeing it) most fans hated what Bey did to their beloved robots. Especially BumbleBee.

Like I said, it was good for what it was it.
Refreshing after a few months of subpar rehashes.
And the kids totally loved it. In fact the audience I saw it with was clapping and cheering throughout a good portion of the actual Transformer parts.

So check your reality at the door and go enjoy a totally frivilous action flick that doesn't star bruce willis.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Jovan said:
Yes, it is.

Curse of the Black Pearl was the first movie, Jack Scorpion, not the second.

Oh, sorry, Jovan. Yah, pirates one was okay.

Yesterday I saw the first hour of Transformers, before the power went out and I had to leave .... But that first hour was pretty awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy