Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Treating WWII roughout boots

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Ok so I just picked up a pari of roughouts for WWII.

What is the best treatment for light brown boots???

Brown Kiwi???

I don't remember seeing the boots being a light brown....???

Any advice from WWII friendlies??

Thanks and here's to you!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
The best treatment is to use beeswax (Sno-seal) or other similar waterproof coating. This both darkens the boot, softens the leather, and waterproofs it. Rub a coat in with your fingers, then heat the boot in the sun or with a hairdryer so it sinks into the leather, repeat adding coats two or three times until the coating is even and the leather saturated.

I have the ATF roughouts and they actually took very little snoseal to treat them, as the sueded roughtout they used doesn't have a lot of nap to it.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Roughouts?

I used olive oil on mine. Not only did it turn the boots a nice darker brown but the oil also water-proofed them and it won't plug the pores like other oils.

Even 4 years after oiling them up they're still water-proof. The water literally runs right off of them and they look great.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I bought a pair of French double buckle boots (WWII style) from Sportsman Guide and love them. I wore them without breaking them in, MISTAKE ! I wore them to work and suffered. I went home that night soaked my boots in warm water then stuck small coffee cans in to stretch out the ankles. This helped a little then bought Sno-Seal and rubbed them in real good. This flattened out the nap and darkened the leather. Now they're awesome I wish I bought two pairs as they were 30.00 at the time.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Confirm the leather's method of tanning -- chrome tan, or vegetable tan -- and welt, Littleton, or maybe Goodyear. I don't think the US Army would have specified a Norwegian welt. Improper preservatives/treatments significantly shorten the service life of leathers. And, in some instances, you'll obtain an unpredictable result -- that is, you could have a less water resistant leather with improper waterproofing.

To obtain good information about your boots, find a hiking boot repair shop, custom boot maker, or an REI store that offers boot repair. REI may not do the work in-house, but those stores offering the service usually have an arrangement with a nearby private contractor.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Here are my ATF roughouts after four coats of sno-seal. I just gave them another coat tonight, the leather really seems to soak the stuff up more than normal. The more coats you add, the "browner" they will become.

boots.jpg

Badluck Brody

Practically Family

We always ued KIWI black.... So this whole brown roughout and not polish thing has me scratching my head.

SInce all they had was minkoil, I just hit em with some of that.

I'll try the Sno-shtuff when I get a chance.

Thanks again!

Now I need to alter the pants I got from WPG!!! They're way too tall???

Thanks again

warbird

One Too Many
Martinis at 8 said:
Why not just soak them in Neat's Foot oil? That's what we used to do when I was in the US Army.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that neatsfoot oil is harmful to leather over the long term. I think it is something they put in the product now. It may have even been on this forum, but it was long ago if I recall.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
My next set of boots I'll try the neatsfoot oil. Not to downplay what Warbird said but if Martini did it it means his Sarge did. The Sarges Sarge did and down the line. It probably is harmful but it's what they did. It seems equipment now seems to be more expendable than it was. Flight Jackets and Boots are a good example. As history buffs we all want to experience what "they" did. The smells the itchy clothing the heavy rifles. I'm a romantic I guess.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
warbird said:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that neatsfoot oil is harmful to leather over the long term. I think it is something they put in the product now. It may have even been on this forum, but it was long ago if I recall.

I haven't heard that one. We used it for baseball mitts also. But this is possible since it makes the leather so soft.

The US Army used to have us do all of our exercise with boots on (now they use athletic shoes). In order to get the boots really soft, we would drench them in Neat's Foot oil, though some guys opted for mink oil. As an example, at Airborne school there was a Neat's Foot oil "bucket". This was a 55-gallon drum that had been cut down to about 12 inches. You would simply walk by the bucket and step in it with each foot. This would drench the boot. We did the same later at Ranger school, only this time the bucket was mink oil. The mink oil is a better waterproofing agent, though the Neat's Foot oil is sufficient. For Ranger school one does a lot of river crossing and swamp work, hence the extra waterproofing.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Badluck Brody said:
We always ued KIWI black.... So this whole brown roughout and not polish thing has me scratching my head.

SInce all they had was minkoil, I just hit em with some of that.
Nothing wrong with that either!

Now I need to alter the pants I got from WPG!!! They're way too tall???
Same here. My Brit Khaki Drill trousers I just got are about 1.5 to 2 inches too long.

Davep

One of the Regulars
The boots do look nice without the dubbing, but those who do reenactments dubb them to look "period correct". I like the olive oil idea someone mentioned as all the other waterproof methods closes the pours of the leather, which leads to your feet sweating inside on hot days of running around.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
I love my rough outs

Actually after a few coats they look exactly like Vlad's... I also gave in and bught a pair of double-buckle boots... I just haven't treated them yet!!

Oh yeah... both are from ATF!!??

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
neatsfoot oil

FYI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil

Neatsfoot oil, like other leather dressings, should not be used on important historical objects, as it will oxidize with time, and embrittle the leather even more.[4] It also may leave an oily residue that can attract dust. On newer leather, it will inevitably darken the leather, even after a single application, and thus is not a desirable product to use when maintaining a lighter shade is desired. However, for routine use on working equipment, particularly in dry climates, it is a powerful softening and conditioning agent that few modern synthetic alternatives can replace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR