Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Art: Rank & File Art Work From the Front Lines

Trickeration

Practically Family
I didn't want to hijack the Hobo Nickels thread so I decided to start a new thread regarding trench art. I was just wondering if anyone collects or owns any trench art pieces. I haven't really started collecting yet, but it's something I've been interested in for a while.

The only pieces I have just now are modern examples. My husband made these rings for himself and for me during a deployment to the North Pole about 15 years ago (before either of us knew what "trench art" was). They're made from inconel nuts that they used on his submarine. He explained to me that inconel is used in the nuclear plant because of high strength and resistence to corrosion. He spent many months filing the rings down on a lathe a few minutes at a time. When they were finished, one of his shipmates engraved them both with SSN 751, the hull number of the sub.

Now I know that a sub is not actually a trench, but I'm sure that the other submariners here will agree that submarine life is life in the trenches.

dsc02057kf2.jpg
dsc02059wi6.jpg

dsc02063xb0.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Those are very cool rings, particularly cool because of the exotic alloy they're made from. Nice to see that a long tradition is still going on.

I have a number of pieces of trench art - mostly vases made from WWI and WWII artillery shells. It's all packed away at the moment, but I have one vase here that I'll post as soon I get a chance to photograph it.

I do have a trench art ring from WWII that I often wear when I'm feeling Bogartish...

casablanca43.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Trickeration said:
I didn't want to hijack the Hobo Nickels thread so I decided to start a new thread regarding trench art. I was just wondering if anyone collects or owns any trench art pieces. I haven't really started collecting yet, but it's something I've been interested in for a while.

The only pieces I have just now are modern examples. My husband made these rings for himself and for me during a deployment to the North Pole about 15 years ago (before either of us knew what "trench art" was). They're made from inconel nuts that they used on his submarine. He explained to me that inconel is used in the nuclear plant because of high strength and resistence to corrosion. He spent many months filing the rings down on a lathe a few minutes at a time. When they were finished, one of his shipmates engraved them both with SSN 751, the hull number of the sub.

Now I know that a sub is not actually a trench, but I'm sure that the other submariners here will agree that submarine life is life in the trenches.

dsc02057kf2.jpg
dsc02059wi6.jpg

dsc02063xb0.jpg

The UK Antiques Road Show has lots of this stuff but the Collectors Programme on Aussie ABC had a recent program on trench art from the Air Force guys to their wives and sweeties. From the gist of that program be sure your husband's trinket is authentically within that historical vein and tradition...the Nuclear sub anecdote takes trench art to another level!:eusa_clap

Trickeration

Practically Family
Thanks guys! And I'm husband says thanks for the compliments on his work as well. I also like how the rings are so specific to his military field.

As I said, at the time we didn't even know this tradition had been going on. It must just come naturally to some as a way of relieving stress and passing time. But with my husband, the funny thing is that he isn't normally one to pass time with handycrafts. Usually he reads, writes or plays guitar during underways.

Warbaby - Thanks for sharing your ring with us, it's very cool. I can see how it would fit that Bogart mood, too. That's one of our favorite films as well.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Here's a photo of my favorite Trench Art vase. It's a cut above the usual hammered and engraved artillery shells, both in the Craftsman design aesthetic and the construction details. The shell was cut into two sections, shaped with hammer work, the marks of which are left as a design element, and reassembled with rivets.

trenchVase1.JPG

trenchVase2.JPG

Jay

Practically Family
One of the neatest pieces I've ever seen was a P-38 made from .50 cal shells and bullets. I didn't have enough money for the one I saw a few years ago. Does anyone know if there's any others like it?

Warbaby

One Too Many
I've seen a few shell case P-38s over the years, as well as other aircraft made from shells. You might try running an ongoing search on eBay for one - also do a generic "trench art airplane" search in case the seller doesn't know it's a P-38. Expect to pay somewhere between $35-$50 for a nice one.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Trickeration said:

dsc02057kf2.jpg
dsc02059wi6.jpg

dsc02063xb0.jpg

I can't help thinking that there is a US Navy submarine with a few nuts missing from the reactor.

leicanthrope

New in Town
Lone_Ranger said:
I can't help thinking that there is a US Navy submarine with a few nuts missing from the reactor.

...and as a benefit, you don't need a nightlight when you leave these on your nightstand.

I forgot another cool one that's on the way to me from a recently won eBay auction. It's a WW2 German mess kit. The wire wrapped around the handle was done by the soldier, and the engraving on the lid translates to: "...after every December, comes one more."

IMG_5426.jpg

IMG_5427.jpg

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
leicanthrope said:
...and as a benefit, you don't need a nightlight when you leave these on your nightstand.

I forgot another cool one that's on the way to me from a recently won eBay auction. It's a WW2 German mess kit. The wire wrapped around the handle was done by the soldier, and the engraving on the lid translates to: "...after every December, comes one more."

IMG_5426.jpg

IMG_5427.jpg

If I may correct you: The engraving on the bottom translates to: "After every December, follows a may again"
I think this makes it more optimistic, so it is a very cool item:)

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i have an ashtray made from an arty shell with bent pennies tacked on the lip for cigarettes...i use it as a pen holder cup thing on my desk...

leicanthrope

New in Town
Luke 42 said:
If I may correct you: The engraving on the bottom translates to: "After every December, follows a may again"
I think this makes it more optimistic, so it is a very cool item:)

I think I need new glasses. At first glance I saw it as "...ein Mal". Now that I wipe out the cobwebs from my eyes, I'd have to agree.

You're right, that is more optimistic. :D

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Somewhere around here, we have a Verdun shell casing, flower vase.

I used to think it was a one-of-a-kind, but I noticed one in the background in one of the scenes of Admiral Grier's office, in Hunt for Red October.

If I can find it, I'll grab a picture.

draws

Practically Family
Lone_Ranger said:
Somewhere around here, we have a Verdun shell casing, flower vase.

I used to think it was a one-of-a-kind, but I noticed one in the background in one of the scenes of Admiral Grier's office, in Hunt for Red October.

If I can find it, I'll grab a picture.

Here are two that I have in my display case. They are French WWI 75mm shell casings brought back from the western front by a member of the 26th Yankee Division and made into flower vases. Notice the rose and YD and fluting at the base. Enjoy!

2270276320104326402S600x600Q85.jpg

2968511850104326402S600x600Q85.jpg