Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
TELL ME ABOUT IT! Your eyes will bleed from seeing so much nova-check here in the Far East. Locals here are so into their conspicuous consumption it's digusting. You won't go far before seeing a nova-check polo shirt, hat, or something. I am all for a well-made scarf or concealed check lining for a coat, but these people overdo it.

ray

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
The Elusive Burberry Trench

So, recently I decided to purchase a nice trench-coat.

Earlier in the year I had taken the Lost World trench out on a date and while it was a nice piece, we simply weren't meant to be and after a swift divorce she ended up back in New Jersey.

My latest attempt led me to the usual suspects.

The Brooks Brothers was very well made, but a little plain Jane.

I liked the London Fog, but wanted something with a little more lineage and weight.

So, I drifted in to Burberry's to look at their classic trench, which dates back to the blood drenched fields of Flanders.

On first inspection it looked nice. A second glance revealed that the yoke around the collar had vanished, as had the gun pad shaped flap on the chest. The poor thing had been neutered.

Then I spotted another model on the rack. It more closely resembled the original model 21, sporting the yoke and gun pad, but had gaudy silver buttons and was only available in black.

So, there you have it. Another classic wrecked by a clueless corporation willing to sell it's soul to the nouveau riche for a few quick bucks. You would think that since they were selling six different models of trench-coats, which they change with every new season, that they could just leave the original alone. But I suppose that would just make too much sense.

My next step has been to look for a second hand or new old stock example of the previous model, which more closely resembles the original Model 21.

Easier said than done.

I need a US size 50/52R, which translates in to a European size 58/60R. I also need the wool lining.

Unfortunately it appears that any one who has one in that size is holding on to theirs for dear life. I've been trolling ebay and the internets for the past two weeks without any luck.

So, there it is. More of a rant than anything else, but the search continues.

jml90

One of the Regulars
I too suffer from the same problem also a 50 long though. The thing is (at least around here from what I'm told) is that everyone is out for single breasted and double is harder to sell. Also most people want the least amount of for lack of a better word "nick nacks" on their coat.

So I went to my local tailor today looking for a trench. All he had in anything under a 60L was single breasted (I already have one).

So he says you don't want the single breasted. I have somthing I know you'll like (he's been selling to my family 30yrs.) He takes out a gray herringbone coat and says I like the velvet collar and since I didn't have anything to your liking I'll put a Chesterfield collar on here for free. I told put it away until October so I'll have a new Chesterfield on the first of October.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
Burberry will custom make a trench for you at a few select locations around the country, including Wilshire Blvd in Beverly Hills. You can choose the details.

No kidding, I had no idea. I was under the impression that only the original London store did that, but this is nice to hear.

Must cost an arm and a leg, though.

Maybe a one armed trench would be cheaper.

A few months ago I won a model 21-ish off of ebay. Unfortunately it was the wrong size and the seller never returned my email. For a moment there I actually thought about taking it to a tailor as a sample and getting a copy made in my size.

The girl I dealt with at the Wilshire Blvd store was a bit of a used car sales man and pretty much hung up on me in mid sentence when I told her to hold off on getting a 50R, once I realized that it wasn't what I was looking for.

Just for the record the service in many Beverly Hills stores is very, very poor and the sales people can be quite rude.

In any case I'll have to give them a ring, again.

Thanks.

RC

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
jml90 said:
Also most people want the least amount of for lack of a better word "nick nacks" on their coat.

Yes, but isn't that the whole point of a nice trench?
;)

I always thought the plain Mac looked like a large sack with a hole cut in the top. Only Steve McQueen looked good in one of those.

RC

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Zach R. said:
So you still have the one in the wrong size?

Yep, still have it. I believe it is a size 46 (54 European). It's almost right, but doesn't have a neck yoke. The condition also didn't match the ebay description; a thorough search revealed a few small holes

Here is my Burberry I won off the 'bay the first of this year:

Now that's a nice coat.

RC

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I'm happy with my London Fog. It has all the features I wanted on a classic trench. I can certainly understand wanting the venerable Burberry, but London Fog seems to grasp the idea of what most folks want in a trench coat. They also don't suffer from "Burberry complex", which is the false assumption that being a known brand means you can do no wrong.
After seeing the modern Burberry line the past few years, I'd be more inclined to purchase actual military issue trench coats.

Still, I wish you the best on your search. I think everyone here can identify with wanting a particular item, not a "close enough".

jml90

One of the Regulars
Robert Conway said:
Yes, but isn't that the whole point of a nice trench?
;)

I always thought the plain Mac looked like a large sack with a hole cut in the top. Only Steve McQueen looked good in one of those.

RC
No it's to look like Bogie :p
I like the plain mac I own one in a brown well it has a belt.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Spatterdash said:
I'm happy with my London Fog. It has all the features I wanted on a classic trench.

My dad has a London Fog and it looks pretty nice. Very classic look.

I can certainly understand wanting the venerable Burberry, but London Fog seems to grasp the idea of what most folks want in a trench coat. They also don't suffer from "Burberry complex", which is the false assumption that being a known brand means you can do no wrong.
After seeing the modern Burberry line the past few years, I'd be more inclined to purchase actual military issue trench coats.

I very much believe that the current Burberry management has dragged the good reputation, heritage and name of the company though the mud. I now put them in the same box as Armani.

Still, I wish you the best on your search. I think everyone here can identify with wanting a particular item, not a "close enough".

Thanks. The whole desire for a Burberry goes back to my dad's Burberry, which has become something of a legend in my family. He purchased it sometime in the 60's and wore it for a few decades, during which it experienced many adventures.

But you are right. The workmanship on the current Burberry doesn't hold a candle to my dad's. I can even see a difference between the one in the store and the example I got off of ebay, which I estimate to have been made in the 70's or early 80's. For one thing the epaulettes on the current coat look like they could be torn off at a moments notice.

Cheers,

RC

jtasher3

New in Town
Aquascutum

Try an Aquascutum Trench, they're just as nice as Burberry and have been around almost as long as the company. Also, Humphrey Bogart wore an Aquascutum trench in Casablanca. Aquascutum makes the same trench, with gun pad and grenade clips, today and they call it the "Bogart."

jtasher3

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Robert Conway said:
the original Model 21.

I need a US size 50/52R

The original Trench 21(100% cotton, made in England) is available at Burberry(NYC) in sizes up to 52 for $1495. IMO, the quality of construction of the current Trench 21 is as good as ever.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
The original Trench 21 (100% cotton, made in England) is available at Burberry (NYC) in sizes up to 52 for $1495. IMO, the quality of construction of the current Trench 21 is as good as ever.

That's good to hear.

The one I saw went for $850 dollars and looked similar to the Trench 21, therefore I assumed that was the current incarnation of it. It is made from a polyester/cotton blend.

I wonder if the Model 21 you are talking about is a special order item.
It's not listed on their website, but then again neither is the one I saw in the store.

Guess I'll have to drive back down to the Wilshire Blvd store and wrestle a few more rounds with that sales girl.

Thanks for the tip and I'm glad to hear that the quality of the real item appears to still be very high.

Now all I need is $1500 bucks.;)

RC

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I really like my Christian Dior, which is a near dead ringer for the Casablanca Bogie trench. I'll try to get a photo tonight. I got mine secondhand for $10, but it's possible they're being made new in that pattern still.

jml90

One of the Regulars
The Wingnut said:
I really like my Christian Dior, which is a near dead ringer for the Casablanca Bogie trench. I'll try to get a photo tonight. I got mine secondhand for $10, but it's possible they're being made new in that pattern still.
My father also owns one of those.

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Lost Worlds

Robert,

You mentioned you had the Lost Worlds trench. Can you describe your experience with it- good construction, the cloth, details etc? Any turn-offs? I've read that the owner of the company has quite a rep.

m

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy