Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I can't speak for women's trench coats, but mens trench coats up to around the mid 50's are totally different to the modern ones, including Burberry - it's the difference between an original A2 flight jacket and a Cooper A2 if that means anything to you!

The originals are serious functional military coats, the new ones are flimsy fashion things. The old ones are way better materials, way better manufacture, way better design. I have several original trenchcoats, British and US Army and British civilian, mid-1930s to early 1950s: you could sleep out in one in the rain.

lindylady

A-List Customer
nightandthecity said:
I can't speak for women's trench coats, but mens trench coats up to around the mid 50's are totally different to the modern ones, including Burberry - it's the difference between an original A2 flight jacket and a Cooper A2 if that means anything to you!

The originals are serious functional military coats, the new ones are flimsy fashion things. The old ones are way better materials, way better manufacture, way better design. I have several original trenchcoats, British and US Army and British civilian, mid-1930s to early 1950s: you could sleep out in one in the rain.

*sigh* Can't they make anything like they used to? :rolleyes:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

nightandthecity said:
...The originals are serious functional military coats, the new ones are flimsy fashion things.
I am sure that the older ones made for and inspired by military applications are very robust, but to say that a modern Burberry trench coat is a "flimsy fashion thing" just isn't so. I have one and I can assure you it is much nicer in design, in make, and in material than the Ralph Lauren copy it has replaced and roughly equal to the Black Armani trench I have had since 1989! They are still very nice garments and still made in the UK.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know about the different colored trench coats, but I just purchased the Burberry classic three quarter length double breasted trench with the zip out lining and button on collar in wool/cashemere. Before I bought it, I did some research as to what the style looked like in the fourties, and as far as I can tell, it is an exact replica. Right down to how the top buttons, the shoulder appelates (?), all the little details looked exactly like the details in the pictures of the vintage ones I have found.
Either way, a trench coat is always classic. The basic style, as far as I know, hasn't changed so dramatically that it couldn't be used with a vintage outfit. I am a bit jealous that you got the red one. Is it like the three quarter length one, or is it the shorter, single breasted kind? I had such a difficult time picking out which one to get, and must have driven the poor sales girl at Burberry mad with the amount of coats I tried on. She shouldn't complain, we walked out with 2 trenches and a wool toggle coat, so her time with me and Hemingway Jones was well worth it.
I really do want the shorter single breasted coat, preferably in red. I like it in pink, but it just doesn't have that vintage look that the red has. Nobody makes a prettier red than Burberry. I guess I'll have to wait til' next year, lucky for me next year is only a few months away!
Either way, a Burberry trench is always classic looking, and really hasn't changed so dramatically that it wouldn't be considered a classic look. Have fun wearing it, it's a great looking coat, lots of style and class.

max the cat

Familiar Face
burberry

I remember buying an import Burberry from England -all cotton trench w/ camel remove able button liner in 1983 for 750 $--what was I thinking? long since outgrown and I wore it for years easily the Cadillac of coats.--- some day i will get another. At that time Burberry was not common or hip now the kids all know the logo--

max

Girl Friday

Practically Family
It is the full length double breasted with a zip out liner, and I really lucked out, as it was given to me. It is truly a great red. I believe it was originally purchased in London, but I'll have to ask. Thanks guys I just wanted to ask if I ever need to wear it to a Vintage type occassion. It is quite warm, and I did wear it and was greatful to have it while I was in London several Decembers ago, and I even wore it to Stonehenge. :)

connortn

New in Town
Dark brown trench coat?

Hi everyone:

I'm a new old timer here and have been looking for a particular coat that I hope some of you may help me with. I've looked for several years for your regular double breasted trench coat like you always see in dept. stores in black, light tan or olive colors, but I'm looking for one in a dark brown. I've found overcoats once in a while in dark brown, but not the trench coat. I'm a size 40-42 reg. or long if that helps. I've kept an eye on e-bay for some time now but nothing has shown up. I'm not interested in dusters but they often come in the dark brown color I'm looking for.

If anyone can point me in a good direction for this item I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks...

Connor

moustache

Practically Family
Try

connortn said:
Hi everyone:

I'm a new old timer here and have been looking for a particular coat that I hope some of you may help me with. I've looked for several years for your regular double breasted trench coat like you always see in dept. stores in black, light tan or olive colors, but I'm looking for one in a dark brown. I've found overcoats once in a while in dark brown, but not the trench coat. I'm a size 40-42 reg. or long if that helps. I've kept an eye on e-bay for some time now but nothing has shown up. I'm not interested in dusters but they often come in the dark brown color I'm looking for.

If anyone can point me in a good direction for this item I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks...

Connor

Welcome Connor!!!
Try your local thrift stores as well (Goodwill,Value Village,Salvation Army).I have purchased all but one of my topcoats and trenchers at Goodwill.And at VERY good prices!!!Never more than $30.

JD in Vancouver,Wa

Steve

Practically Family
Brown USMC trench coats are very nice. A friend of mine showed up at my door wearing one last night and I was very impressed.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
A Sale on Burberry Goods - 1931

From the January, 1931 Issue of Tailwagger magazine (Britain). A publication for dog lovers.

Burberry.jpg

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Thanks for posting this! Ah, if only we had a time machine . . . . And look at that gorgeous line artwork! Such craftsmanship and panache is inconceivable nowadays - everything reduced to the lowest common denominator, homogenized and Photoshopped unto death as it is. (The concept of flying by the seat of your pants with nothing more than a Joseph Gillott #303 dip pen, a Theodore Alteneder Model 500 draftsman inkstand filled with Higgin's India ink, a little talent and a tight deadline - without the ability to expunge errata with the stroke of a "delete" key - is enough to give modern artists a fit of the cold sweats.)

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
I understand the illustration board used to be made extra thick, so errors could literally be carved away.

I've seen some examples of 18th and early 19th century pen knives that used to come with a special scraper to scrape the ink off genuine parchment and vellum (i.e. produced from animal intestines - unlike their modern counterparts which are made of wood pulp). This material was hardy enough to take that type of abuse and still be able to hold a fair line of ink on its surface without bleeding.

However, paper products like illustration board are not designed for that type of technique - even the stuff made years ago. Any disruption of the surface like carving or scraping would make it unuseable for subsequent pen and ink work.

You're correct in saying that some illustrations were edited that way, but for the most part if mistakes were big enough you started from scratch again. Par for the course in that era!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

That's a great ad. It's amazing to see that some of their coats were plaid on the outside and it makes me wonder whether they were Novacheck or some other sort of pattern.

And for the record, I am no fan of Novacheck, but the Burberry brand still has a lot of great products. My Burberry dress shirts are outstanding. Their main feature is the high collar stand that looks absolutely marvelous with a suit.

I also have a duffle coat from them with real horn buttons and the softest wool I have ever felt. So soft, in fact, it feels like cashmere. Actually, maybe it is cashmere. Anyway, it is an awesome coat.

Lastly, I wouldn't trade my Burberry Trench Coat for the whole wide world.

However, any logo clothes, Novacheck shirts or baseball caps will never find their way onto my body. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic