Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Bruce Wayne said:
the tailor might have a hard time getting some fabric to match. Black isn't always black. Plus, your coat has been used so it has had some fading happen to it.
You are right, Mr. Wayne, but it's always worth a try. The coat is in perfect condition and doesn't look faded to the naked human eye.
But, if the tailor manages to find a matching fabric, will there be a risk of him ruining the coat while sewing it on or whatever he does?

Baggers

Practically Family
If he's a good tailor, he's going to advise against it. There are too many variables to consider. Weight, weave, color, and age of the coat's original fabric are just a few of the factors to take into consideration. In order to match exactly, it would have come from the same run of fabric, the same dye lot, from the same mill, AND have been stored under the same conditions as your coat. You'll also have many of the same issues with the thread used to install the flap.

Trust me. I've worked in high-end men's retail clothing and have worked with more than a few expert tailors. None of them would have touched a job like this without telling you upfront that they couldn't guarantee a fabric match. Anybody who tells you otherwise is misrepresenting himself. And similar to the Esquire article, I turned away customers who were trying to match up a pair of slacks to a black or navy sport coat they owned so they could wear it as a suit. It just never works.

Please enjoy your coat as it is. Or sell it on to someone else and use the money to buy one with all the features you want.

Cheers,

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Alright, I'm not going to get it tailored then. I don't care if some trench coat purists get pissed, when I call my coat a trench coat.

As Baggers lists above trying to match up fabrics is a nightmare. Our eyes are pretty sharp when judging what is a match and even when it's really close, you'll still see the difference.

The question is, would it be something you could live with or would it tweak you everytime you looked at it?

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't tweak, but someone who thinks that a trench coat must have all the features to be called a trench coat, would tweak big time.

If I manage to find a fitting trench coat with all the features and a very cheap price(can be a used one), I will buy it, though...

Harp

I'll Lock Up
TrenchGuy said:
If I manage to find a fitting trench coat with all the features and a very cheap price(can be a used one), I will buy it, though...

Several years back, I bought a trench coat on eBay; complete with shoulder pad, pistol pocket etc., $40.
Didn't want a neutered knockoff and had to troll a bit but persistence paid. Saved so much on that
trench I later bought a '94 Jaguar XJS convertible on eBay Motors. ;)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
TrenchGuy said:
My coat happens to be wool(black color) and it shouldn't be waxed or anything as wool naturally has lanolin that repels water. At least it doesn't feel waxed or anything.

I think a good tailor probably has wool. Do you think the same?

Huh? Wool only has lanolin in it when it is not treated and spun by machines. Any commercial wool product has NO lanolin in it after processing. Sorry.

BeauxArtStudent

New in Town
How to tie a trench coat belt like Burberry

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here and I just want to say hi. I heard of the site from the Fountain Pen Network of which I have been a member for some time.

My favorite coats to wear are my Burberry trenches and I have always tied the belt like Bogart however, I want to learn the way Burberry ties them in their ads.

http://us.burberry.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4210693&cp=3965372.4253231.4394179&parentPage=family

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Just looks like a plain old slip knot to me...

Tie an overhand knot in the buckle end, pass the free end thru the loop before you draw the overhand loop closed, and then pull it tight. I may be wrong, but that's sure what the photo looks like to me.

BeauxArtStudent

New in Town
TheSnark said:
Tie an overhand knot in the buckle end, pass the free end thru the loop before you draw the overhand loop closed, and then pull it tight. I may be wrong, but that's sure what the photo looks like to me.
Thank you TheSnark. I tried it and it works!

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
I am still excited to hear about the coat and how do you like it, Hexenmeister. I hope you will post soon as possible.

Edward

Bartender
Not unlike a black wool trench I had back in the early 90s. An 80s piece from Marks and Spencer, very classic cut, much longer than the hip-length affair in the picture above.. I would certainly like one again, assuming I could find one that fell to at least the knee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR