Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

LordBest

Practically Family
Out of curiosity, how long should a trenchcoat be on? The standard length on those that would fit me seems to be 45', which comes to mid calf, yet I see men six inches tall wearing the same size ending just below the knee.
Is it difficult to have the sleeves on a trenchcoat taken up?

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
A little below the knee is the traditional length. I prefer mid-calf, because it provides more protection from rain.

Well, if the person shortening the sleeves can also make new loops for the cuffs straps or sew on buttons etc. it shouldn't be such a big problem. I don't know much about tailoring, though...

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Wow...

LordBest said:
Out of curiosity, how long should a trenchcoat be on? The standard length on those that would fit me seems to be 45', which comes to mid calf, yet I see men six inches tall wearing the same size ending just below the knee.
Is it difficult to have the sleeves on a trenchcoat taken up?

...six inches tall?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'd keep an eye out for a WWII US officers one. They're the quintessential trench in my mind and can be picked up quite cheaply if you keep an eye out. And they can be found in those smaller sizes.

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
Just ordered my first trench.

I've been wanting a trench coat for a while now, but have never cared for how I look in the traditional, long coat. Nor have I cared for the prices. Today, however, I finally pulled the trigger (or clicked the order button, rather) and ordered the Navy Trench Coat from Indochino (yes, I'm addicted to their wares). I ran a coupon code search and found the the code "pickle" got me a nice 15% off, too.

200909220005532744.png

It should arrive after I get back from Portland, in a week-and-a-half or so. I'll be sure to post some more narcissistic photos. lol

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Good price for a 100% wool trench coat. Wool clothes are usually pretty expensive, if I'm not wrong.

Reminds me of my wool trench coat, though its longer and it's not the same brand.

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Is it possible to get a storm patch tailored to a trench that originally has no storm patch? Would there be any risk of ruining the coat?

And finally, has anyone here tried to get a storm patch tailored to your trench coat?

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
TrenchGuy said:
Is it possible to get a storm patch tailored to a trench that originally has no storm patch? Would there be any risk of ruining the coat?

And finally, has anyone here tried to get a storm patch tailored to your trench coat?

I think the hard part would be finding a matching fabric. You might end up having to butcher a second coat of the same style & color to get the storm flap.

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
I guess a tailor would have plenty of different kinds of fabrics? Especially wool...

I've personally never been to a tailor, though...

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
TrenchGuy said:
I guess a tailor would have plenty of different kinds of fabrics? Especially wool...

I've personally never been to a tailor, though...

Not necessarily. Some rain jackets are a cottone fabric with a waterproof backing. I have one trench coat that is a poly-cotton blend that has a rubberized back to it. I doubt your average tailor would have something like that.

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
My coat happens to be wool(black color) and it shouldn't be waxed or anything as wool naturally has lanolin that repels water. At least it doesn't feel waxed or anything.

I think a good tailor probably has wool. Do you think the same?

Lorenz

New in Town
Looks cool, was thinking about ordering that one too - just waiting now what they come up with for their August collection before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot