Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Legion

New in Town
I've been on the lookout for a vintage trench for a while now and I found this one in a thrift store today. It's not the usual fawn colour, more a sort of dark military green, which I don't mind. It was meant to have a zip in winter lining which is missing and the coats inside lining is an orange rayon, very similar to the type on the inside of flying jackets. I don't think it is military issue, though. It has no label, that I can see. Maybe it was on the winter liner?

P1050384.jpg

dr greg

One Too Many
Mitchum drape

I was watching OUT OF THE PAST last week and while checking out Mitchum's trenchcoat I thought it draped like a very soft fabric, not like a Burberry for example, which seem a rather heavier material than that featured in the film...any trivia buff able to shed light on this important question????:)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
dr greg said:
Mitchum's trenchcoat......I thought it draped like a very soft fabric, not like a Burberry for example
Yep,the Burberry of that era used a much more substantial cloth. It may have been tailored in-house, at the studio.

outofthepast_escape.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Makes and Places for classic trench-coats...

Have a read through this thread, it is an absolute *mine* of useful information on this iconic piece of outerwear. Good Hunting!!

Baggers

Practically Family
J. Peterman marked their English Style Trenchcoat down to $128.00 this morning so I pulled the trigger on one in khaki. It should arrive on Monday. I'll try to post my impressions as soon as I get it.

Cheers!

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
That looks great! The trenchcoat exudes a kind of Private Investigator aura already. What's the instructions for cleaning on it: dry clean only & press?

I am not sure about care instructions. It is made out of cotton & when I recieve it I had to do the waterproofing. I have worn it in a couple of rain storms & it seemed to hold up fine to moderate rain. I have ot had the chance to try it out in a frog strangling rain storm yet.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=48&activity=

That is what I used to treat it. I would recommend using two bottles in a washing machine set on cold wash/cold rinse with nothing else in the machine but the coat. I did mine with one bottle like the directions recommended, but if I had to do it again I would use two.

Also, if you decied to order one from Magnoli, I would ask him about preshrinking it in hot water. Mine shrunk about four inches length wise :eek:

Baggers

Practically Family
Finally! First impressions of J. Peterman's trench coat

Big Brown just drove away and I now have it in hand. It looks good. I ordered my usual size, 42 regular, and it fits nicely over a wool sport jacket and hangs just below the knees. The epaulettes come right to the end of my shoulders with no overhang, but the dimensions are reversed from what I prefer with the button holed ends being wider than the part which folds around the retaining loop at the base of the shoulder. The collar has one metal hook and eye closure and no throat latch. The interior is fully lined with a light tan plaid polyester material in the shoulders and a solid gold tone acetate in the sleeves and body. It has one zippered interior pocket on the left side. The exterior pockets are lined with a tan poplin material and have no "pass throughs" to the interior of the coat. The buckles of the waist belt and wrist straps are made of brass (colored?) metal with an antiqued finish. These, along with the D rings on the waist belt are of a stamped or cast construction. The eyelets on these belts and straps are also metal with the same finish. According to the label the outer shell material is 93% cotton 7% polyurethane (for water resistance?). It's dry clean only.

Frankly, this is no Burberry or Aquascutum. But that wasn't what I was expecting for 128 bucks. What it is is a traditional trench coat adequately constructed of a light weight material which should be perfect for the hot humid summers and mild winters usually encountered here on the plains of North Texas. I'll be able to use and abuse it without fear. If something happens to it I won't cry nearly as much as I would have were it one of the more expensive versions. I'll get pictures up eventually but right now it's just too dang hot to mess with. ;)

Cheers!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
What an informative and interesting thread, thanks guys and you all look splendid in the photos. (One of my favourite looks for a chap and i have to own up to a bit of swooning). I have to say that the only item of clothing i would save if the house caught fire would be my Burberry trench, gifted to be by my mother on my twenty first birthday, and still going strong. She always told me to buy the best i could afford at the time for staple, functional items and that advice has stood me in good stead. It seems to work with all items in my wardrobe (i have even chucked it over pyjamas with a hat for the school run and still felt a bit glam and mysterious as all women should endeavour to do where possible)!! I have to agree with one point though, i did recently go to the Burberry store in Regent St, London, wearing said coat and have to say i didn't think the quality of the newer ones to be as good, (thickness of cloth and lining, main gripes). If anyone is ever in Sussex they do seem to turn up regularly in second hand shops for about £50 - 100. I am just glad to be able to own such an iconic and functional item with such a wealth of history behind it.

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
I own a black trench coat made by Arvotex Finland that I got for 20 euros from a thrift store. I suspect the coat is from the 80's or 90's and it's still in good shape, only one button at the cuff is a little broken. It's double breasted, but it has no gun flap or cape at the back. It has everything else, though. The hem goes to my mid-calf, so it's pretty long.

So, everybody knows that a coat as long as that makes a short man look even shorter. So, do you, gentlemen, consider 170cm(around 5 feet and 7 inches) short? I don't want to look too short while wearing, though I don't really care so much. It's not about how tall you look, it's about how tall you REALLY are.

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Yesterday, I made an ultimate discovery at the thrift store. A new looking 100% wool trench coat for(drums roll) 25 euros! 25 euros is around 33 USD, gentlemen.

I am really happy with this coat. It's double-breasted, knee-length, pretty light to wear and the fit is awesome. It has no gun flap or the small cape at the back, but could that be forgiven? And does someone else own a 100% wool trench coat? They seem to be rare these days...

I will be posting a picture, when I get my camera.

Hal

Practically Family
TrenchGuy said:
...A new looking 100% wool trench coat for(drums roll) 25 euros!...double-breasted, knee-length, pretty light to wear and the fit is awesome. It has no gun flap or the small cape at the back, but could that be forgiven? And does someone else own a 100% trench coat? They seem to be rare these days...I will be posting a picture, when I get my camera.
You are lucky! This should be just the coat for cool days in autumn/spring when a suit is not enough but an overcoat is too much; I trust that it is shower-resistant as well. Any hat to go with it?

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Well, I couldn't find a fedora from a shop, but I did find a black trilby made from 20% wool and 80% viscose. Not so good, I guess, but it cost only 10 euros. I will be posting a picture of it too.

And the coat isn't only good for cool autumn/spring days, but those cooler nights in the summer. Last night the temperature outside was around 15 celsius and the coat was just perfect.

There's just one thing I'm wondering about the coat. On the left side, there's one button inside the coat and on the left side there's one button hole for that button inside the coat. I haven't tried buttoning it while wearing it as it seems hard and Im not even sure if it's meant to be buttoned. So, does anyone know the purpose of it? It could be a spare button, but there's a button hole on the left side... (The sides are from the perspective of the person looking at the person wearing the coat, not the wearer's perspective)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav