Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
my 2 cents...

I got exactly the same except that mine got a zip and buttons. Mine is dated 1980. It was a gendarmerie motorcycling jacket (a kind of military police patrol). We used to see this jacket in France with a white holster belt over it. The holster got a strap over one shoulder.
Regards.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Italian police used to issue motorcycling patrols whit a coat almost identical, if not identical, to this one;
I believe that they were still in use in '70s (not sure).

Not too many years ago I distinctly remember that every policeman (Polizia di Stato, not Carabinieri) had a leather jacket during winter, but of way different design (zippered);
then they turned to a different, not leather jacket.

Ciao!

PS
I have to compliment BellyTank for his knowledge of italian uniforms! :)

Dora Ainsworth

New in Town
Vintage Women's Trench Coats

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help.

I'm looking for a vintage women's trench coat and I am having a heck of a time finding a style. Many of the coats made for the gents have nice, clean lines but I'm finding that a lot of ladies coats lack definition in the shoulders and don't hang correctly. I'm hitting up my local vintage shops to see if I can find one, but does anyone have a recommendation for a modern designer that has a ladies trench with a vintage feel? I have small shoulders so it's difficult to find something that doesn't hang like a potato sack.

Thank you so much and Happy Friday!

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Dora,
What sort of trenchcoat are you looking for? Leather, cotton, poly-twill?
There are so many types....
If you are looking for classy style you might like this:

trench.jpg

Have a look at the sierratradingpost:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/se...s=&exactPhrase=&searchWithin=trench&N=9410013

Hope this helps.
Andy

Dora Ainsworth

New in Town
Thank you Andy! Much appreciated.

And yes, a fabric description would help, wouldn't it? :eusa_doh:

I'll be taking this trench to New York, Scotland, and Paris, so a fabric that can withstand all types of weather and travels well would be best.

I did a bit of sleuthing online and came across some fun vintage pieces on The Find (http://www.thefind.com).

Thanks again!

~Dora

andy richards

Practically Family
Depending how much time you would like to stay in Paris...
If you like shopping, go to:

Au Printemps, 64 Boulevard Haussmann, Paris. (nice warehouse with nice clothing, bars, restaurants and a disigner mode-show every tuesday at 10.00am)
Metro: Havre Caumartin

Madelios, 23 Boulevard de la Madeleine, Paris. (especially for men! Great clothing)
Metro: Madeleine

Galaries Lafayette, 40 Boulevard Haussmann, Paris. (enormous warehouse full of perfumes, clothing, jewelry, mode, toys etc with on the roof a magnificent view over Paris - must see!)
Metro: Chaussee D' Antin La Fayette

Stoklux, 8 Place Vendome, Paris. (clothing of top designers at low prices)
Metro: Opera

Le Mouton a Cinq Pattes, 8 Rue Saint Placide, Paris. (second-hand French and Italian disigners)
Metro: Saint Placide

Louis Vutton, 78bis, Avenue Marceau, Paris. (superb leather clothin)
Metro: Alma Marceau

L’Habilleur, 44 Rue de Poitou, Paris. (last year's mode, mostly half priced)
Metro: Filles du Calvaire

Pierre Hermé, 72 Rue Bonaparte, Paris. (best chocolade in town)
Metro: St. Germain des Pres

My wife love these shops...I am sure you will too.
Andy

Dora Ainsworth

New in Town
Thank you both for the low-down! Now I'm more excited for my trip than ever! Andy, I think I'll be spending more time in Paris than I originally intended thanks to you :D

And I have some Scottish friends in town; I'll have to hit them up about where they go vintage shopping.

Cheers!

~Dora

Dora Ainsworth

New in Town
And of course, once I find the trench of my dreams I'll make sure to post pics. Stay tuned! Not heading across the Atlantic until June (I'm a poet and I didn't even know it?).

Dora Ainsworth

New in Town
At some point the Netherlands is on my list, too. I just want to see the world.

Andy, thank you so much for all your help and for making a newbie feel welcome.

Merci beaucoup!
Dora

Dora Ainsworth

New in Town
But oooh look what I found on eBay today!

It's a vintage Bond Street satchel - I can't wait to migrate my current bag to this one. Now I'll just need to search Europe high and low to find the trench to go with it.

CapnGinny

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Dear Dora. I am in Paris at the beginning of June and will probably take my older Burberry. It gets scrunched up between here on the Scottish borders to Timbuktu!! and looks great for it.Thee is a good market in second hand Burberry . ALSO LOOK AT those coats in the movie LUST CAUTION/ BTW/// there is a thread on ladies trenches in the POWDER ROOM/
Apologies on tpos. ON MOBILE COMMUNICATION

Dora Ainsworth

New in Town
Oh I know I'm in the right place when I get all aflutter over a vintage advertisement. Binkie, I can't wait to see a better upload but thank you in the meantime! That's the bee's knees.

Paddy - thank you so much for the suggestion! Ah, Paris in the summertime - sounds heavenly! This will be my first trip abroad so I want to do it in style. I think a Burberry would be perfect. I'm traveling with one of my best friends and all we know right now is that we're making camp in Glasgow with friends and then will be making jaunts to Paris and probably London, too.

You guys made my morning :D What a wonderful way to start the week!

~Dora

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
GREAT SALE ON WOMENS TRENCHES

I am outside the Barbour Factory outlet.Ladies lovely lightweight trenches DB reduced from £300 to 99. USA SIZE 8 and 14. PM me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925