Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Hal

Practically Family
Here's a couple of Burberry catalogue scans from 1998. (These are from their "on sale" booklets they send around, so don't assume the prices or available sizes represented the full range at the time.)
The pictured coats are good-looking and VERY classical compared to what that firm seems to be selling now.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The pictured coats are good-looking and VERY classical compared to what that firm seems to be selling now.
I know it seems that way, and yes they're selling a lot of weird clothing, but if you ignore all that fashion stuff (and their heavily photoshopped photos and anorexic models) you'll see they still offer a traditional long trench (which they call the "Westminster") and a single-breasted raincoat (the "Long Gabardine Car Coat") like the ones above. They just don't do short and long sizes anymore, although the regular is almost a long. The only significant differences are a slightly different way of attaching the covers on the side pockets, the contrasting dark buttons, and the cloth is a bit thinner and tighter weave. The fit and construction quality is more or less the same. It's an article of faith on the interweb that vintage stuff is always awesome and new stuff is always crap, but some older Burberry coats are not that special and some of the new ones are very good indeed.

Hal

Practically Family
...It's an article of faith on the interweb that vintage stuff is always awesome and new stuff is always crap...
Very true - presumably the rubbishy stuff from the past has just not survived, in many cases simply worn out.

Chris Neve

New in Town
Hi everyone,

I just discovered this thread and am wondering if anyone knows of a good place to buy a trench coat? The Burberry website seems pretty expensive. Could I get some advice, please?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this thread and am wondering if anyone knows of a good place to buy a trench coat? The Burberry website seems pretty expensive. Could I get some advice, please?

Thanks!

Department-stores got storebrand-trenches, often on the Burberry Brit-level, but on much much lower prices! And polyamid/cotton half/half isn't bad! :)

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I have had luck going to vintage stores (what we used to call "second hand shops"!) In fact, I found a beautiful Hugo Boss trench coat for a song at a vintage shop not long ago. The disadvantage is that it is hit-and-miss. The advantage is that you can see what you are getting and try it on. Digging around 2nd hand shops looking for an unexpected vintage gem is a popular sport engaged in by many Loungers. Good luck!

Hal

Practically Family
Photo of Prince Charles in his uni days wearing his Burberry. Note that it's a vintage 8-button coat and has the kick tab (that small button below the big buttons). Note also how short it is, it's not just the modern fashion coats which are short!
We are looking at pictures from c.1969; both look as if they are from stage productions. The kick tab is a very useful feature but perhaps more necessary with longer coats.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I now have a single-breasted Burberry raincoat like Philip's above, except mine is navy blue, and it's old enough to have a foot tab (although the button is missing for that). It's pretty close to mint, even the lettering on the % components tag has not rubbed off. It's got the original owner's initials embroidered on a tag sew inside. I'm quite pleased and am looking forward to wearing it this fall. I will now keep an eye out for an older Burberry trench.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey all!
Long time hat poster, rarely post in other forums. But today, I found a nice VERY heavy-duty trench while thrifting, and was wondering if anyone here more knowledgeable in vintage military wear could tell me if it is authentic or a civilian model. Or just a fake...but it seems to be too high quality for a fake.

08b4104e3035f203feb10224c723bc82.jpg
91e030c854eee2c8c1a89a5629ac06a4.jpg
3faa03bd7ea5dc30a74089aecdc95722.jpg
710f83b07147721cee5d01e9e6c7223e.jpg

Button in liner with a button to connect the tails. Also, the coat itself has a button for the tails.

6767ef8d4286502747412d11c9f8699b.jpg
91c2b7c5e22fe3b75ababb4d09a36884.jpg
9bc57814987b9edcf1b81486bb214743.jpg

The only tag on the coat itself.

af83fb2c9d4700a2ae136ca3ebf128dd.jpg

These tags are on the liner.

fd2faba3c709672e5d72b14190b064e0.jpg
6df9c0be02b9d2e9a7deb9a3e2dd0c45.jpg

It also has the extra button on the cuff to cinch it tight in foul weather. The only thing wrong other than a couple of spots is one missing liner button. Authentic or not, for 9 bucks I have a great winter coat!
Thanks in advance for any information.