Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I still cannot bring myself to go out and buy an actual trench coat, for some reason. I must have a rather ridiculous impression that I'm too young or young looking to be wearing one. I do admire those that can wear one in any serious context, though. I am going to want to invest in my own trench coat some day, as well as a wool overcoat.

Peter_E

Familiar Face
Manchester Weathercoats - any reviews?

I just recently came across a company called Manchester Weathercoats.

http://www.traditionalrainwear.co.uk

They claim to be a contract manufacturer for Burberry, Aquascutum, etc. as well as selling their own brand coats.

I am quite tall, and most off-the-rack coats are too short in the sleeve for me. So, I am considering a coat from Manchester Weathercoats. My question is: Are they good coats? Well made? Durable? Are there any owners of coats from this manufacturer on Fedoralounge?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
There was a review of them a couple years ago (complete with photos) but a search brings up nothing. It may have been lost in the recent upgrade. As I recall, the photos showed several construction flaws like crooked and poorly felled seams, lots of stray thread, etc.... Maybe Lefty can find the thread;he's good at searching......

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
I love the look of trench coats. Unfortunately I live where it is warm and doesn't rain. I would get 2 or 3 times per year to wear one. Difficult to justify the cost of a nice Burberry trench coat for this location . . . but I'm still looking for the right size/price. One will come through soon, I just know it!

Peter_E

Familiar Face
Tomasso: Thanks for the info.

Maybe I'm not entering the correct search keywords, but I have had a hard time finding traditional trench-coats online from even the well known manufacturers. Burberry's website seems to have a bunch of ridiculously short and impractical coats. Same with Aquascutum. They seem more like a car coat than a proper rain coat. As for London Fog, I couldn't even find a source online for a trench coat.

So, what's the best bet for a tall-guy's trench coat these days? I want a "real" one, but for a value price. The damnedest thing is, I used to own a wonderful Grenfell coat that I gave away, stupidly.

Peter_E

Familiar Face
What's your price range?

Good question. It's a bit of a subjective variable. I think Burberry's coat at about $2300 is too much. I think Aquascutum's are in the same range. The Manchester Weathercoat price (about $370) seemed a steal if the coat was any good. But, if it's a low quality item, then $370 is no bargain.

I just found a site with re-born Grenfell coats at about $1100. That's not chump-change, but maybe they're worth it.

I think I'm prepared to pay for style, durability and quality, but I don't want to pay $1000 premium just for a distinctive plaid lining and a name; conversely, I don't want a cheap knock-off that won't last.

So, maybe I'm looking for the $500-$1000 range, plus or minus a bit. But, obviously, less is more if it's a bargain.

Given my height and long arms, I might need some custom tailoring. That might make the whole venture too expensive to be worth it. After all, I don't live in the rainiest part of the world to really need a trench coat.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso: Thanks for the info.

Maybe I'm not entering the correct search keywords, but I have had a hard time finding traditional trench-coats online from even the well known manufacturers. Burberry's website seems to have a bunch of ridiculously short and impractical coats. Same with Aquascutum. They seem more like a car coat than a proper rain coat. As for London Fog, I couldn't even find a source online for a trench coat.

So, what's the best bet for a tall-guy's trench coat these days? I want a "real" one, but for a value price. The damnedest thing is, I used to own a wonderful Grenfell coat that I gave away, stupidly.

I believe the review you are thinking of is in this thread.

Peter_E

Familiar Face
Burberry Sizing

I just got a really nice, vintage Burberry from eBay.
Unfortunately, the sleeves are too short for me, even though the advertised measurements suggested that it would be a good fit.

The coat is sized 54-long. But, it is clearly not a 54" chest. I take a 44" and it fits great except for the sleeve length.

So, my question is, what is the key to Burberry's sizing? What does the 54 really refer to?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I just got a trench coat, after searching a while. I have really been in need of a rain coat to wear in temperate weather, instead of just relying on wool coats to take the brunt.

Photo96.jpg

I got it on ebay for 15 bucks shipped, and I am very pleased. Unlike everything else labled 40L this is actually designed for a person with a 40 inch chest and long arms, and it is cut very nicely in my opinion.

It is a military jacket, and by the tag, meant for marines.
Photo98.jpg

Photo100-1.jpg

Thomas Bostwick

New in Town
Trench Coat in Summer?

Just wanna get some opinions, full-length black trench suitable for summer as well as winter? Personally, I love trench coats, so I wear one all year 'round. During summer I'll roll up the sleeves occasionally, so I don't look too out of place.

My coat of choice is a black trench with epaulettes, that falls to mid-calf on my 5'7" frame. My particular trench is a DSCP Garrison Collection coat.

Anyway, just curious what others think.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Just my opinion, while trench coats can look sharp, summer is probably the one time of the year that they would look most out of place, outside of rainy or cold weather. I don't think a black trench coat would be very practical either, as it would attract the most heat. Do you own a light tan or beige trench coat too?

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
I would go for a tan car coat instead. I had one for many years but I've recently lost it.

You can always unbutton the lining if it's too hot, plus it's good for rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran