Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Has anyone heard of DB trench coats without a jigger button inside? Today, I was at the local thrift store and I came across an older gentleman who was just about to try on a trench coat. It was regular, double-breasted. He put it on and started buttoning it and I just had to say "remember to button the inside button", so I said it to him. He took a closer look at the coat and I noticed there was no jigger button or even a button hole to fasten it. I told him that they usually have a button inside and I said it was really strange.

Has anyone else heard of this? I think it's really weird, especially because the jigger button is necessary to keep the buttons in a clean, neat line on a DB coat.

norton

One of the Regulars
Mine doesn't have one. I'm thinking it doesn't need one because you usually button three out of four buttons, that is it buttons relatively high. come to think of it, my vintage BB DB overcoat doesn't have one either, it also buttons high.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Has anyone heard of DB trench coats without a jigger button inside?
I've never seen any DB (jacket or coat) without out one but I wouldn't doubt that they exist. That said, it would be easy enough to add one; all you need is a button and a buttonhole.....maybe $10-15 at your local tailor.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm thinking it doesn't need one because you usually button three out of four buttons, that is it buttons relatively high. come to think of it, my vintage BB DB overcoat doesn't have one either, it also buttons high.
It really has nothing to do with the button stance (high or low). The jigger button keeps the inner/right side of the coat from collapsing.

The DoW had a habit of leaving his jigger unbuttoned. As you can see it presents a less than tidy look.

qmddwindsor.JPG

g457461.jpg

qmddwindsor.JPG

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Paddy's Trenchcoat

I'm trying to find a trenchcoat that is very similar to the one that Paddy currently has in his avatar. It looks great, especially with the fedora.

It looks like it might be a military surplus model, and may be olive coloured.

Paddy, would you mind telling us more about this coat?

Regards,

Harry.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The trench is an original 40's Gabardine Trench (Civilian - 'not' military). Made by Alligator in the USA. There will be photos and descriptions of it earlier in 'this thread' if you care to have a look . It's a lovely, and heavy jacket to wear. Thanks.

Carnage

One of the Regulars
Just won a trech from Ebay in my size, new and a snip at £12.95. It's an M&S Heritage one and I will post pics up when it arrives. I do not yet know what I will wear with it though.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I've been giving some thought to getting a trench coat, but don't want to spend a boat-load of money. Those of you who are "in the know" about trench coats...how does this one stack up, looks-wise?

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_279115

Looks a politically correct neutered knockoff. Sharp looking but not a trench.

Troll eBay for a bargain deadstock or resale trench.
I picked up a great trench with all the trimmins' on the Bay for $40.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Looks a politically correct neutered knockoff. Sharp looking but not a trench.

Troll eBay for a bargain deadstock or resale trench.
I picked up a great trench with all the trimmins' on the Bay for $40.
That sounds like good advice, Harp, thanks.

anyexcuse

New in Town
When to wear a trench coat?

Hi, I'm new here. Trench coats are traditionally a rain coat, right? Is it frowned upon to wear them as a general cool weather coat? Forgive me if this has been addressed ad nauseum. I like long coats and recently purchased a previously owned Towne by London Fog in great shape.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My main winter coat is a London Fog trench coat. I have a heavy parka with a hood for really Arctic days, but from October through at least April, it's the trench. I let the weather determine whether to zip in the extra lining.
Now I would imagine that living in Minnesota, you'd have to use the trench coat as a spring/fall coat. Anything lower than about 28 degress cold, or warmer than 60 would require something else. The cold limit would also be determined by what you wear under it. I have a pretty heavy wool tweed sport coat that makes an excellent cold weather layer under the trench.

Peacoat

Bartender
I don't think they are frowned on as a general cool weather coat, but when wearing a suit, and it isn't raining or snowing, I prefer something more dressy, such as a wool overcoat. As dhermann1 says, I think there would be limited Winter use of a trench coat, even with the lining zipped in, way up there in the frozen northland.

Metatron

One Too Many
Surely with the abundance of excess in the various subcultures, a trench-coat is subtle in comparison? I don't see why it would be 'frowned upon'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24