Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Well, the British Officer has such loose sleeves and shoulders on the coat, it lends me to think it is very loose fitting. But like I said before, it could just be my imaginiation.

The article goes on to state that Bogie broke the rules, his coat was always a little larger than the preferred size.

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Sleeves do not look loose. Not sure about the shoulders, though.

What do you think about those zip-up (and possibly "snap" buttons that cover the zipper) trench coats? I've mostly seen middle-aged women wearing them and I think they are horrible, especially if they are those ugly, thick padded ones. Zip-up trench coat makes a person look like he's too stupid to button up a coat, IMO. Sorry if I offended someone.

Last edited:

moivintage

New in Town
Hi. I double checked the link and it works fine for me so it is probably your pop blocker that is stopping it. As for the price, I actually based that upon my on research from this very website...it is how I found the fedora lounge about a year ago. So, if the price is absurd, then it is based upon information I received right here on this site from another member who showed a sport jacket they sold on ebay for an outrageous price! What do you mean by "no comment" on the fedoras? None of my fedoras are mass produced cheapies. They are all vintage...some made in Ireland, England, etc....I get the impression your statement was condescending and implied that the fedoras aren't "true" fedoras...Is this what you meant or am I totally off track? wow, I was hoping this site would be a friendly place...I'm getting a very pretentious impression thus far.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That may be the price of roughly what it would cost to have something comparable made today- it is a very nice coat- but the market for vintage overcoats is anything but hot. I can't remember the last time I've seen an overcoat go for over $200 or so. Suits, yes. Certain hats, yes. Leather jackets, yes. But you take a look at the amount of interest people here take in the overcoats threads vs. other threads and it's really pretty sad.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi. I double checked the link and it works fine for me so it is probably your pop blocker that is stopping it. As for the price, I actually based that upon my on research from this very website...it is how I found the fedora lounge about a year ago. So, if the price is absurd, then it is based upon information I received right here on this site from another member who showed a sport jacket they sold on ebay for an outrageous price! What do you mean by "no comment" on the fedoras? None of my fedoras are mass produced cheapies. They are all vintage...some made in Ireland, England, etc....I get the impression your statement was condescending and implied that the fedoras aren't "true" fedoras...Is this what you meant or am I totally off track? wow, I was hoping this site would be a friendly place...I'm getting a very pretentious impression thus far.
Whoops, I was shocked by the price but didn't set out to be unfriendly. As Dinerman points out in a more substantial
manner, that's pricey. It also appears to be a women's coat, and you might want to note that.

The fedoras I recall seeing in your Etsy store were not of the style favored here. That's all I meant. Might be worth
reading up a bit on hats.

Anyway, didn't mean to discourage you from posting here.

Omnipotence

New in Town
Purposely Fading a Trench Coat

I've come into the possession of a cotton/polyester blend trench coat from Burlington Coat Factory, and it's of the black variety. To avoid looking like a mass murderer, I'd like to get it a little less black.

Washing it multiple times in the washing machine is a thought I had, but the "Dry Clean Only" tag on the inner lining made me double check myself. Would I be able to remove the lining and then wash the coat until it reaches its desired fade, or will I have to simply put up with the colour?

moivintage

New in Town
no problem. I appreciate the input from everyone as that is what I was hoping to receive. I wasn't sure how to take the previous posting but now I do, and I appreciate it. Also, the coat is a women's. I best double check my posting to see if it is in fact listed as such, but that is the case. I put that price on it out of fear that I would sell it for far less than its worth and then find out it was a rare item of greater value, but I will probably lower the price periodically until it begins to receive a greater response and interest. Thanks again for the input.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wouldn't wash it. It could get out of shape. Put with the color or let it bleach in the sun or something...

You could try to make the rest of your ensemble less dark and more cheerful. Or would this increase the mass murder look? haha

Torpedo

One Too Many
I would think the mass murderer cliché you are referring to needs the trench to be leather. Besides that, I second FFF's suggestion; if you choose wisely the other pieces of clothing and complements, you can dispel the sombre look.
Forcing the fade can give you undesired results.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
I'd second the advices above and let the coat the way it is, only combining it with less "serious" or more colorful clothes. Little particulars do a lot of help:
sometimes when I cut my hairs too short I find to have an excedingly "militaristic" look, so I use glasses instead of contact lenses and immediately I'm just a guy with short hairs :)

PS
Very short hairs here seem to bear almost the same ungrateful stigma that's associated with black trenchcoats in your country. I'd say nobody would find anything strange in a black trenchcoat here.

moivintage

New in Town
I have reduced the price by $150. I would sure appreciate anybody's knowledge regarding the oviatt's creations. Can you still purchase newly tailored items by oviatt's? Or, are they all a discontinued vintage make? I appreciate all postings as I am trying to learn more about this item.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Here's a thread about GWD's acquisition of a vintage NOS Oviatt's trench coat, and in a large size no less. As you can see it did not command a particularly high price. I may be wrong but I think that Oviatt's was an elite men's store that carried some high quality women's wear but that it wasn't held in the same regard as Channel, Vionnet, Schiaparelli, Balenciaga, etc.....Where's Marc when you need him.......

Edward

Bartender
Yes. I've worn both a black wool trench (back in the early 90s) and a black leather one (last tend years or so). The black leather one occasionally draws a 'Gestapo' comment (usually from people of my parents generation - i.e. not the War generation, too young for that, but probably the one that grew up on Sixties war films that really have done more than anything else to inform the popular consciousness of the 'look' of WW2 of folks around that age). The black wool one.... never.

I am, of course, assuming you are referring to the Nazis.... I guess there wasthe Trench Coat Mafia back in.... 2000?... Dylan Klebold and his chums who went on the rampage in that High School (blanking on the name just now, how time affects memory....). I don't imagine many folks would really think of that now, though. You're more likely to get 'gangster', but you'll get that as soon as you put on a fedora. Never bothered me - YMMV. Personally, I much prefer gangster or any variant thereon to 'pimp' or 'cowboy', but I digress....

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
At least yours is black,Omnipotence. My Stafford trench coat is a navy blue color (wanted #1 tan/taupe or #2 black) but since it was only $9.99(thrift stores,yay!),in excellent condition and fit me perfectly...had no choice BUT to get it,right? I`m also in the "Leave It As Is" camp,Omni,and bet you`ll find that a black trench is maybe even a wee bit more versital and eyecatching than the classic taupe/tan trench.

Besides,now you have a legitimate excuse to buy yourself another classically-styled trench,right?
Wear that Midnight Trench Coat proudly,sir! ;)

HMH

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot