Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Txmason

Familiar Face
Could you fine and wonderful FL members help guide a big guy in buying a trench coat? Where should I start?

mdove

Familiar Face
I started looking at Ebay and thrift stores. I found a couple of Burberrys on Ebay, and bought a nice London Fog off a guys back at Goodwill. You will find lots of different stuff on Ebay. READ the ads carefully.

guygardner

A-List Customer
I see lots of trench coats in larger sizes in Value Village and the Salvation Army Stores. Sellers on Ebay and Etsy also have civilian and military trench coats for sale.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
General Eisenhower at Julich, 1945 (source Britannica). I think the major general in the middle wearing the "officer's field overcoat" is Troy Houston Middleton (see smaller pic below, source wikipedia).

General Ridgeway wearing the later officer's trench coat in Korea.

guygardner

A-List Customer
Fit seems a little large across the chest and shoulders compared with a 1990s-2000s Cotton-Polyester USMC Trench. The wool gabardine beats the poly-cotton coat though. The material hangs a lot better and doesn't feel as baggy. It's also heavier and warmer-it has a zip out wool and satin lining. I like the color too, a dark-greyish green, not OD.

guygardner

A-List Customer
Photos

Photos of my US Army Gabardine Trench:

Photoon2012-02-15at1124.jpg
[/IMG]

Photoon2012-02-15at1125.jpg
[/IMG]

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's an extremely useful photo of Generals Bradley and Collins conferring late in the war. Bradley is wearing the "officer's field overcoat", which was not standard issue but was widely available for purchase by US Army officers (two versions of the coat were available: this one with 10 buttons as worn by Bradley here, and one with only 6 big buttons on the front which seemed to go unchanged through to Korea and Viet Nam). Collins is wearing a civilian purchased trench coat with flapped pockets and only eight buttons up the front; this is interesting, since today's civilian trench coats invariably have 10 buttons on the front, but I think this 8 button version is much more interesting and no less functional (I have also seen another photo of another officer wearing an identical coat, so Collin's coat is not a custom job). I will also point out that in most photos I have seen of military officers the sleeves of civilian purchased coats were set-in, not raglan (I have seen only one photo showing raglan sleeves).

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Baggers said:
Great photo. Appears Bradley's overcoat has a hood. Were they available with one as a button-on accessory?
It certainly looks like he's got a hood and so does General Middleton in the pics I posted a few posts back, although whether they were intended as part of the coat or just a re-purposed hood from an M43 combat jacket I don't know. On the other hand, I did run across a website yesterday in which someone posted photos of one of these coats and a hood, implying they were connected, so who knows?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Baggers said:
Interesting to find out. All I know about it is what comes from At The Front's web site where they sell a reproduction of this coat. It says it comes with buttons for a wool liner but nothing about a hood.
I looked through one of my military history books and one said that the female version of those coats came with a detachable hood, so perhaps the male version did as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany