Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
For retreating the fabric, Camp Dry works well, comes in a spray on can and can be found at hardware stores or Target. I would use this long before I'd mess with naptha for retreating fabric. Apply outside and let sit several days as the stuff smells bad initially. Camp Dry is made by Kiwi - the shoe polish company. I found some at Target in the shoe polish area.

splatt

One of the Regulars
Check out the Driza-Bone website at http://www.drizabone.com.au, click on the FAQ link in the top right hand corner and then select "Product & Garment Care" from the left hand menu.

Near the bottom of the page is a section on how to roll up one of their long Oilskin riding coats.

Hope that helps...

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
here are a few pictures of a grenfell trenchcoat i have,made by moss brothers in covent garden london.

grenfell19.jpg
[/IMG]

grenfell18.jpg
[/IMG]

grenfell17.jpg
[/IMG]

grenfell12.jpg
[/IMG]

grenfell13.jpg
[/IMG]

grenfell14.jpg
[/IMG]

grenfell15.jpg
[/IMG]

grenfell16.jpg
[/IMG]

grenfell11.jpg
[/IMG]

grenfell10.jpg
[/IMG]

DDibling

New in Town
I'm sorry. I tried to wade through this thread....all 34 pages of it!!! But after about a dozen pages, I gave up. So then I started from the end, working my way backwards. That's not working, either.

My question is: I see that some were working on a custom order for an SA Casablanca. What became of that project? Was anyone able to source a good SA coat?

Sorry for being a newbie and asking alot of questions! And thanks for any help!

Dean

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Link worked for me. In case you still can't open it, here's my paraphrased summary without pictures:

1. Lay out flat, front up, snaps snapped.

2. Fold sleeves over, apparently crossing at the cuffs only, at an angle like you are grasping your own hand, if you get my drift.

3. Fold sides in lengthwise until they just touch each other in the center.

4. Roll up from bottom until you reach the bottom of the cape.

5. Roll bundle into the cape, turning that inside out as you do so it becomes a container for the roll (clever!)

- Bill

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Ohohoho, thanks guys! :) Very neat method! My coat is on the way, although it's not Drizabone, the model is similar (Australian outback collection) - I'd sure try to fold it this way!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

David V said:
The photos from The Good Shepard are not trench coats.

[huh] Good Shepherd, photo- Please forgive my 'slackness.'[huh]

I sincerely hope all the other photos that have been gathered together from various sources over a period of time and catelogued in the Reference Section David prove to be pleasing and of some help as a visual resource for those interested in trenchcoats.
As ever, just trying to help and inspire ;)

Tzedekh

New in Town
I've seen a close-up photo of the maker's label on the trenchcoat Bogart wore in Casablanca, bearing the name of the film's wardrobe designer, Orry-Kelly (full name, John Orry Kelly). It was probably made for the film by the studio wardrobe department.

Feraud

Bartender
Tzedekh said:
I've seen a close-up photo of the maker's label on the trenchcoat Bogart wore in Casablanca, bearing the name of the film's wardrobe designer, Orry-Kelly (full name, John Orry Kelly). It was probably made for the film by the studio wardrobe department.
How/where did you get to see Bogey's trench?
I thought the item is m.i.a.?

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
I think that the simple fact that Orry Kelly,was not only the costume designer on the film casablanca,but also for the maltese falcon and the petrified forest,as well as a whole host of famous hollywood movies,says that the trenchcoats were designed and made by Orry Kelly,and not,as the companies mischiefously imply,either Burberry or Aquascutum.usually,the end credits on a movie say who designed and made the costumes in a film.

Tzedekh

New in Town
blacklagoon said:
I think that the simple fact that Orry Kelly,was not only the costume designer on the film casablanca,but also for the maltese falcon and the petrified forest,as well as a whole host of famous hollywood movies,says that the trenchcoats were designed and made by Orry Kelly,and not,as the companies mischiefously imply,either Burberry or Aquascutum.usually,the end credits on a movie say who designed and made the costumes in a film.
True, but from what I've read, male actors at that time were expected to provide their own wardrobe, at least suits (I recall reading that Cary Grant would have three or four copies of a suit made by his tailor), plus there was also stock wardrobe for extras, so a film's costume designer's screen credit didn't mean he or she designed everything worn in the film. That there was an Orry-Kelly label in Bogart's Casablanca trenchcoat, however, is pretty good evidence that it was designed and made for the film.

Feraud

Bartender
Tzedekh said:
True, but from what I've read, male actors at that time were expected to provide their own wardrobe, at least suits (I recall reading that Cary Grant would have three or four copies of a suit made by his tailor), plus there was also stock wardrobe for extras, so a film's costume designer's screen credit didn't mean he or she designed everything worn in the film. That there was an Orry-Kelly label in Bogart's Casablanca trenchcoat, however, is pretty good evidence that it was designed and made for the film.
I am not sure about actors being expected to provide their own wardrobe.
Films with budgets take into account wardrobe. The exceptions would be low budget films that used whatever wardrobe they could find or actors that favored a particular garment and chose to bring their own. Certainly Grant and Stewart did this but I do not think it was expected or a standard in the industry.

Maguire

Practically Family
I love trenchcoats and overcoats in general but i'd be hard pressed to pay anything more than 200 for them. I got a great olive green london fog with lining and all when i was 16 and it couldn't have been more than 150.. and i got a black one two years ago that only cost about 80. Both have lining, double breasted, etc. They're fine coats, and i rarely wear anything else. unfortunately these days trenchcoats get a bad rap because of the fact school shooters insist on wearing them, so you can't imagine how many times i've heard "hey you have a gun under there?" etc.. A shame i suppose.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
Maguire said:
trenchcoats get a bad rap because of the fact school shooters insist on wearing them, so you can't imagine how many times i've heard "hey you have a gun under there?" etc.. A shame i suppose.

Actually, I don't believe that is a fact. I could be wrong; but I believe the TCM had nothing to do with that shooting. And the two shooters were known to wear dusters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic