Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

minus_273

New in Town
inexpensive Burberry trench coats in boston

I've read posts by people who've talked about getting inexpensive Burberry trench coats. Does anyone know a place in boston like that?

jsecunda

New in Town
Trench Coat Consensus?

HI folks:

I've looked at the archives, but find no guidance there. So, here's the question: what maker of trench coats would you recommend I look for re:
quality in workmanship; non-terrifying price; and vintage-accurate detail?
Thanks for the help........
js

geo

Good trench coats at reasonable prices are difficult to find. Not many makers; there's Burberry's (overpriced and of dubious quality). Try getting a used one at a thrift shop. I got mine like that for something like 20-30$. Also, e-bay.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I am very fond of trench coats. Burberry is classic and can be found at reasonable prices on e-bay. I have two London Fog coats. They too can be found on e-bay, but also at their factory outlets they can be had for a song during a sale. The trick is to find the classic styles at the right time.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Christian Dior, if you can find it secondhand, is VERY nice. I wouldn't trade mine for another. Almost a dead dinger for the Casablanca trench.

jsecunda

New in Town
Trench Coat Question No.2-How to Size It?

First, thanks to all of you for your advice on my earlier post. I am monitoring ebay as advised for a used dior trench coat. I've never used ebay before, so please-some advice?

When a seller advertises a trench coat as "42R", I assume that this is the same measure one would use to fit a suit jacket in the U.S., right?

Secondly (and more importantly)-how would you size a trench coat? Same as your suit jacket size, or one size up?

Thanks again for your help---
js

If a seller has measured the chest and it comes up as 42 inches, this does not mean that the coat is a size 42. Most likely, the trench coat's size is at least 4 inches less than the chest measurement. In other words, a trench coat with a 42 inch chest is probably a size 38 (or less!)

If the trench coat has a label that says 42 R, and you wear a suit size 42 R, then go for the coat. It won't be too tight.

jsecunda

New in Town
thanks!

Thanks so much! Couldn't have gotten a more concise and helpful answer-an answer even I should be able to follow!
Regards-
js

jsecunda

New in Town
Thanks, folks. The Dior coats really are beautiful and seem plentiful enough that I might actually find one in my size. Aquascutum is classic, but thin on the ground, at least in EBay....

Jay

Practically Family
I bought one at a thrift store that at one time came from Sears. It's dead on for Bogart's trench coat. It holds up in the rain pretty well, too.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Zach, I really like that coat. The button pockets are a neat touch. Also, the lapel is interesting; it sort of folds, instread of having a structured notch lapel, interesting.
I would be happy to road test that one for you!;)
Good luck with it. It is very nice.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Thanks.

Hopefully the temperature will get out of the 60s so *I* can put it to a road test(I'm afraid it might be a bit too large for you, HJ).:p

I've got to wait until it gets here first though.

BTW, wasn't there a Burberry outlet near your neck of the woods?

Baggers

Practically Family
Great looking Burberry, Zach. I had one in Khaki a few years back, but I sold it on eBay when I gained a few pounds and my work situation made a dressy trench unecessary. Too bad. I lost the weight and now would like to add one to the closet. I just don't want to pay full retail for one.

Hemingway, I used to work in men's retail clothing at a Burberry shop in Dallas about 15 years ago, so I was rather steeped in the culture. That collar is patterned (along with most of the rest of the coat for that matter) after the wool greatcoats worn by British officers during WW1 and 2. It's kind of a variation on the old "stand and fall" collars that they had. If I recall, it also has a full back pleat with a button closure that was high enough for use while mounted on a horse and to give more freedom of movement while running. The little brass D rings on the belt used to be designed for hanging items of the officer's leather equipment set, although nowadays they're only built for decoration.

Hmmm, I wonder if they're still made as well as they were then...

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy