Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
BinkieBaumont said:
"get over your self!,...., in saying that, everyone has had sad experiences buying on line, however, slagging off a company that you have problems with is a "pity poor show old chap"i am sure they are trying to sort things out for you"

I wouldn't say I've been slagging them off. If you read the whole thread you'll see that I've been very complimentary towards them in some places.

Also, I think a lot of people would be worried and stressed out if you asked a company for a refund and they weren't forthcoming.

I really do hope things work out and that they are trying to sort things out.

Texas Raider

New in Town
New guy here with a trench coat question...

Hi, been looking around the 'net for a decent trench coat. I have one that's about 17 years old, a London Fog and seems to have shrunk over the years (!). I can't seem to find whether the style I have are made anymore.

Does anyone know who makes a decent, classic style trench anymore?

I guess I'm being a bit lazy,I could search the forums but this is also a way for me to say 'Hi' as a new guy.

Thanks for your help!

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Does this call for a separate thread? So, far the thread has been about the classic Good Guy/ Private Eye/ Super Spy, khaki double breasted trench.

What if your taste runs to the dark side? What if, you want to be the guy, in the black trench and fedora, that is always chasing Dr Jones, around the globe?

http://www.totls.com/LEATHER JACKETS OF THE THIRD REICH.htm

Page down about half-way, to the leather great coats. Similar to the Luftwaffe pilots jackets, the leather great coat, was a private purchase that was an option to the issued wool great coat.

The regulations were the same, in that, the only emblem to be worn on the great coat, was the officers rank, on the shoulder boards. The double breasted trench was the same, in that, it was originally a military officers coat, to be worn with rank emblems on the epaulets.

Essentially, those Private Eyes were wearing an "Army Surplus" coat.

robojam

New in Town
How do you wear your trench?

I have for many years worn a trench coat for work over a suit. I recently and for the very first time had a (female) colleague comment that I always wore my coat all buttoned up and belted and thought it looked too ‘severe’ and I should try just knotting the belt or buckle it behind making it a half belt in effect.
It just made me wonder what others think about how a trench coat should be worn.
I always think buttoned to the neck with the belt properly buckled is smartest. After all, the trench does have a millitary background so that is surely how it was originally intended to be worn.
So how do you think a trench coat should be worn? Am I being too stuffy and formal about it?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
When it's undone I put the belt into the pockets as I don't like buckling it behind.

When I do it up I just knot the belt and ignore the buttons (like Bogart does). If it's extremely windy I button just the bottom two buttons. If it's very nasty rain or snow and it's getting inside I just fold the left lapel over without using the storm flap.

However, I think there's nothing wrong with using the belt properly and using the buttons. I wouldn't button it up to the neck unless it's raining. If you want to button it do it so that the unbuttoned part looks like a lapel and your shirt and tie are visible. I agree that it's a millitary coat but unless it's worn over a millitary uniform I don't see the need to wear it in a millitary fashion.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
The way I see it, if a trench was supposed to have a half-belt, it would have been made with a half-belt. I button mine up and do up the belt, as well.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Ive found that women's opinions of men's clothing often reflects the current fashion trends, not the clothing itself. I dont trust anyone who learns fashion through MTV and Cosmo, or has to buy new clothes to keep up with this years trends.

miles_archer

Familiar Face
I find the belt to be a bit of a conundrum. Properly buckled it can look a bit severe or at least like you are trying too hard. At the same time the belt is essential in creating anything resembling a V shape in a loose fitting coat. I like to tie the belt like the sash on a robe, gives a nice 40's noir feel too. I also just bought a beltless trench from the Brothers Brooks I very much like.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm also in the avedwards camp, though I hardly ever wear my Trench 21 these days. I've grown to prefer single breasted raincoats. [huh]

BillyCigars

New in Town
Why, "Commando" of course! lol

In all seriousness though, I've been contemplating one for awhile now. I'm torn on which color - camel or black. Was one color more common than the other in the Golden Era?

I'm now looking at the Brooks Bros. trench - Thanks Miles!

Hal

Practically Family
Nick D said:
The way I see it, if a trench was supposed to have a half-belt, it would have been made with a half-belt. I button mine up and do up the belt, as well.
I strongly agree with Nick here, and don't mind if it looks "severe".

The single-breasted (raglan-sleeve, fly-front) raincoat is fine for the summer and for light rain. For serious/heavy rain the more protective trenchcoat is better - ideally, this should be longer and have a detachable winter lining. In a country like the UK where it rains a lot, two raincoats are not an extravagance.

Does any of you wear either of these styles as a light topcoat when a suit on its own is not warm enough but a wool overcoat would be too warm?

robojam

New in Town
Hal said:

The single-breasted (raglan-sleeve, fly-front) raincoat is fine for the summer and for light rain. For serious/heavy rain the more protective trenchcoat is better - ideally, this should be longer and have a detachable winter lining. In a country like the UK where it rains a lot, two raincoats are not an extravagance.

Does any of you wear either of these styles as a light topcoat when a suit on its own is not warm enough but a wool overcoat would be too warm?

I agree that two raincoats in the UK is not an extravagance. However all mine are double breasted but one has a zip out warm lining for for when it's too cold for just a raincoat. I use this one for serious rain too. It's a model by Aquascutum to their 'Bogart' design and was made to special order. The coat is similar to their standard trench but is longer at 52 inches ie mid calf length on me. The fashion is now for shorter coats that I feel are not much use for protection from rain. It had a broader belt and all other features are slightly more exagerated than the standard. A real monster of a trench but I don't think they sell this particular model now, even made to order.
I agree with Hal, I don't mind the 'severe' look, if that's what it is but the belt enhances the line and drape of the coat and somehow adds to the sense of protection from the elements and should never be left unbuckled in my view. But each to their own of course.

DC3

New in Town
I have a single breasted, black leather, very long trench coat I like to wear with a dark suit, or with a turtle neck sweater in a casual setting. I often pair it with my black leather fedora

This may seems silly or odd to some, but when I get inside a building I unbutton it and let it blouse out as I walk briskly to the elevator or down a hall. It just feels good to experience the weight and the way it moves once in a while. I think I scared a kid once with the hat and all. At 6' 250lbs I suppose the visual would be a bit frightening.:)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Hal said:

I agree with everything (except of course the way I use the belt). I wear my trench coat in all sorts of weather: wind, light drizzle, heavy rain, snow. I do the wool coat in my avatar sometimes but I've found that a trench coat (without winter lining) even kept me warm in -10C somehow. Then again I used to survive being hatless in even colder conditions. But one can never have too many raincoats in the UK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24