Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trenchcoats, still a faux-pas for teens?

matei

One Too Many
I never wore a trenchcoat when I was a teen, for the sole reason that I didn't look good wearing one.

Unlike the young fellas on this board - I couldn't pull the look off until I was in my early thirties! :p

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Ghos7a55assin said:
Well, I'm a senior in high school and have been wearing khaki and drab trenchcoats here, weather-permitting. Looks like a million bucks with a suit underneath. I get the Inspector Gadget or private eye comment every once in a while, but I just brush it off.

IMG_3406-vi.jpg

Inspector Gadget is actually quite funny. Maybe just because I never hear it myself.

Trickeration

Practically Family
Here's my 2 cents: notice how Ghos7a55assin has his coat closed? I think it comes across better and looks less suspicious than when it's flying wide open as you walk. It's funny how these little things make a difference. But I agree that the most important thing is how you carry yourself. Behaving like a gentlemen will make the biggest impression, and probably make someone smile again later as they recall how you offered your seat to them.

Oh yeah, my husband wore a tan trenchcoat for many years.

jml90

One of the Regulars
jake_fink said:
Inspector Gadget is actually quite funny. Maybe just because I never hear it myself.
One of my teachers calls me Bert Sugar when I wear my hat.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
I've gotten the Inspector Gadget comment every single time I've worn my grandfather's old trenchcoat. I may wear it again one day.

I'm not even going to tell you my other trenchcoat story. It'll strike terror into your hearts.

jml90

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
The secret to not getting a hard time when wearing a trenchcoat: use one when it's raining, or seems like it's going to.

Trenchcoats are essentially raincoats. No one can fault you for wearing a raincoat in the rain :)

Or when it's too warm for an overcoat too cold for nothing

Flyboy

New in Town
I have a (generously) double-breasted brown leather trenchcoat that I have been wearing since High School, including during the time of Columbine and other shootings. Our school did institute a policy of "no trenchcoats," which I proceeded to ignore (as I did with a lot of other rules, actually). Nobody ever said a word.

Then again, I also wasn't a troublemaker.

I still wear it--in fact, I'm about to have it reconditioned, if I can find a leather shop that I like to do the work. As for the bit about carrying a gun or two, well, yes, I usually am, but not just when wearing the trench. ;)

After I have it reconditioned, I'll post pictures. I also just commisioned a hat from Art to wear with it; I can't wait to get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner