Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trim a Panama?

7 3/8 to 7 1/2, this one is pretty large like 7 5/8 to 7 3/4 , 7.25 by 8.25 so 24.35 cm.
A word of caution. Straws (Paja, Milan, rafia, rye) do become brittle with age. I sent one in to a hatter adept in blocking Panama straw. In the reblocking process the straw split, one split on each side along the front crown crease. I think it is the nature of the straw so on second thought reblocking it maybe a most terrible idea.

Last edited:

CRH

Call Me a Cab
A word of caution. Straws do become brittle with age. I sent one in to a hatter adept in blocking Panama straw. In the reblocking process the straw split, one split on each side along the front crown crease. I think it is the nature of the straw so on second thought reblocking it maybe a most terrible idea.
Paja should last indefinitely if it's well cared for and it gets enough water although normal wear and tear takes it's toll. I would think a risk assessment would be in order before reblocking a hat.

Paja should last indefinitely if it's well cared for and it gets enough water although normal wear and tear takes it's toll. I would think a risk assessment would be in order before reblocking a hat.
Yes, definitely. The hatter was well experienced in blocking Panamas and the hat was not that old. But the straw just cracked. Because the splits were so clean I was able to boot it with a bit of leather on the back side and the repair cannot be seen. But it certainly made an impression on me about the potential fragility of straw.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Yes, definitely. The hatter was well experienced in blocking Panamas and the hat was not that old. But the straw just cracked. Because the splits were so clean I was able to boot it with a bit of leather on the back side and the repair cannot be seen. But it certainly made an impression on me about the potential fragility of straw.
Just a point of order but since this is a specific Panama thread, can we stick with the two Ps - Panama and Paja. The word, straw is much too generic for afficionados. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
girlmom