Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trucker suggestions

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No argument on this point, purely an aesthetic thing for me.

I get what you mean. I will say that one thing I really like about my Schott 121 is that while it has handwarmer pockets that are very usable, you can’t really see them when the jacket is worn. They aren’t explicitly hidden, but they are tucked just out of sight.

vntg60s

New in Town
Is there anyone else here who has handled both the Maverick and LW Trucker? Or either one? I may be way off in thinking the LW pattern and fit will be very similar. I prefer the images (in horse) on the LW website over Vanson’s. If it’s anywhere close to the Maverick in Octagon belonging to @Will Zach I’d be very pleased.

Aloysius

I prefer the images (in horse) on the LW website over Vanson’s.

I would put no stock in this, because Vanson’s website photos are absolutely useless. The jacket will fit like Will’s, not like the bad website photos, however the modern comp weight leather isn’t going to look like his Octagon. The ‘deer touch’ might be a good leather option, if you’re willing to wait for MTO.

The LW version is unflattering by all accounts. They make fantastic stuff, but their trucker is a miss. If you’re going to put down that amount of money on a LW, it would be better spent on a different jacket.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
The one thing I’ll add about hand warmers is that it’s very annoying when companies “update the style” which means longer so they nearly reach/ touch your front jeans pockets but don’t have handwarmers. This causes a problem where putting your hands in jean pockets means you have to hike up the jacket and can make an awkward looking side profile with the bulging fabric. The no-handwarmer thing has always worked better on more true-to-original styles for me because when the jacket’s only long enough to cover or touch your belt, it wouldn’t be comfortable to put your hands up that high anyway. If you’ve ever owned a vintage Wrangler 124mj you’d know what I’m talking about. Those lower pockets only work well for storage and that’s okay. This is a long way of saying I think handwarmers are fine, but if you’re thinking about a jacket that doesn’t have any just pay careful attention to the length.

They have also lengthened the body in some of the modern Type III jackets, to a point where it doesn't look right to me. But the 80s version with hand warmers should reach the belt line, and the pockets are not too high to use comfortably.

There were people who went for an oversized style, very baggy and roomy, in the 80s, along with the acid washed look. It's not really the style we are focused on here.

Lately I've also been seeing "stretch limo" versions of the Type III, that look like they were elongated for tall people, but are worn by normal proportioned people. I would avoid those.

trainspotter

A-List Customer
I just got a Schott horsehide trucker, P620H from one of the forum members. It isn't too heavy and the horsehide looks great to me
PXL_20230124_223313921~2.jpg

vntg60s

New in Town
I would put no stock in this, because Vanson’s website photos are absolutely useless. The jacket will fit like Will’s, not like the bad website photos, however the modern comp weight leather isn’t going to look like his Octagon. The ‘deer touch’ might be a good leather option, if you’re willing to wait for MTO.

The LW version is unflattering by all accounts. They make fantastic stuff, but their trucker is a miss. If you’re going to put down that amount of money on a LW, it would be better spent on a different jacket.
I really love this, in LW horsehide. I feel it’s not over done. It’s simple, but not understated either. I haven’t a clue how historically accurate it is but I’m not interested in those details. It speaks to me as a quality piece, workmanship and leather beautiful. The LW Trucker in deer doesn’t do it for me.

Attachments

• EE085015-6EBF-4142-8EAB-198E183759BE.jpeg
    EE085015-6EBF-4142-8EAB-198E183759BE.jpeg
    1,007 KB · Views: 118

Aloysius

I don’t see an appreciable difference in look between the LW, Schott, or Vanson optons when they’re sitting on a table, honestly. The LW horsehide grain is no better than the Schott naked cowhide grain, though both look more interesting than current Vanson comp weight.

I do take under advisement the testimony by LW customers here that the LW Trucker model has an unflattering fit, since this isn’t the case for the Vanson or Schott options.

Aloysius

(Actually I dare say I like the hardware on the Schott much better, despite it being in a lower price tier. The snaps look cheaper than donut buttons.)

I really love this, in LW horsehide. I feel it’s not over done. It’s simple, but not understated either. I haven’t a clue how historically accurate it is but I’m not interested in those details. It speaks to me as a quality piece, workmanship and leather beautiful. The LW Trucker in deer doesn’t do it for me.

Well then get the LW. Problem solved. You've heard all there is to be said. Several people told you it's not worth the money (which it isn't) and recommended you a much better jacket for a better price (Vanson, for instance) but if you wanna drop $2K on a leather jean jacket, by all means. I'm still saying you'll pay far too much money for what is the lousiest take on the style on the (top tier) market but clearly, the heart wants what the heart wants so yeah.

newtojackets

Practically Family
I've got 5 trucker style jackets (Vanson Maverick, Schott #121, Iron Heart III, Aero III and a Fox Creek - image attached) and the Aero and Vanson are the best of the bunch. Both fit me well and are made to take it although the Vanson is the more robust of the two. The Schott #121, which I got in late 2021 is OK but the leather has a kind of vegan vibe to it with little character or grain. It is well made and the leather is very smooth/soft but now the price is $985.00 which is Aero territory and if your considering new I'd go with Aero or Vanson. The Iron Heart Type III is made of Japanese horsehide and is impressive in every way. The Fox Creek trucker jacket is very heavy and well made and the leather is quite grainy and pliable. I got mine in 2011 and sadly it is no longer offered.

I consider the trucker jacket to be one of the best leather outerwear jackets for most any occasion.
Enjoy the hunt and pick one that appeals to you the most.
I just bought a 2nd black cafe racer and was worrying I have too much of the same. The fact that you own 5 truckers makes me feel better ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ