Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Truth is stranger than fiction

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
How true! If you would have taken this story to a book publisher, he would have thrown you out saying, "that plot is totally implausible!"

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The completely improbable nature of this story sparked my curiosity about the perp. I googled him and ---oh, my gosh--- Otto Skorzeny truly had an infamous career. "Scarface", as some call him, could easily have been the inspiration for many a Bond bad guy. Since I live in Vienna, I was interested that he was born and buried here. I'm writing a travelogue/history of Vienna for my own amusement, and I think I'll have to add him to the WWII chapter. I was somewhat appalled by this ORF (local Austrian TV channel) footage of his funeral in 1975 at a cemetery that is only about 2 miles from where I live. Look at all those stiff arm salutes! This was 1975, forheavensake. Sad. When the weather improves, I may well have to go over there and see the grave for myself (pretty much have to, if I'm going to mention him in my book.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails