Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trying to Decide on a Wardrobe for Korea

anabolina

A-List Customer
So, I'm completeing my Masters in Library Science this February. Yay!!! And I fee the need to take a year and do something different. When I got my BA, I went to small town Wyoming, when I finished my college basics, I went to Germany. I had planned on a trip around the world, but various circumstances have made that monetarily impossible, so the next best thing for me is teaching English in Korea. I'm looking for a position in Seoul right now and so here's the deal :) I'm trying to decide what clothes to bring with me. I have a lot of clothes, some vintage and most not and I want to bring over just enough clothes, not too many. Since I'm a size 12, I've heard it will be difficult to find any clothes to fit me in Korea, so whatever I'm going to wear for the year, I have to either bring it with me, or ship it. I love dressing vintage/retro, although some days I'm in a 40s vs 50 vs 60s and less often 30s mood. So how much of what should I bring?

Current list:

Tops
5 jackets, 1 short sleeved and 1 3/4 to bracelet length sleeves
5 blouses
5 camisoles
5 sweaters
6 cardigan, 2 short sleeved or 3/4 sleeves
4 t shirts
1 sweatshirt (huge one for those bloated days:))
6 short seeved tops, 2 wrap style, 2 v neck, 2 other types
Medium weight coat

Bottoms
6 skirts- 2 circle, 2 pencil, 2 a line
2 pairs of jeans
5 pairs of pants, 2 wide leg, 2 patterned, 1 with a slimmer cut
1 pair of capris
2 pairs of city short
2 pairs of exercise shorts

Entire Body
1 running outfit
11 dresses- 1 party dress(50s style), 3 sundress, 3 shirtdress, 2 maxi dress, 2 wrap dresses
1 Rain Coat
1 Trench Coat
1 robe
2 nightgowns- 1 fleece and 1 silky

Shoes
1 pair of spectators
2 pairs of wedge sandals
4 pairs of high heels(3 peep toe and 1 sensibly ugly)
1 pair of running shoes
3 pairs of ballet flats
1 pair of comfy sandals
1 pair of flip flops

So am I forgetting something? This is going to be so weird. I'll bring some of my sewing pattern with me in case the opportunity presents itself, but I'm not counting on being able to sew until I get back.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I had a friend who taught English in Seoul a couple of years back. Alas he was 6'-5" male, so although he too could not find any clothes there, he's not quite the one to ask what to pack. Isn't that the land of incredibly cheap tailors though? Perhaps if something is direly missing - you could have something made (using your patterns)?

The only thing missing I came up with was the underpinnings. ;)

anabolina

A-List Customer
Hmm, yes, underthings would be a good idea, wouldn't they.

Underthings
13 bras (I hear they don't sell C cups in Korea)- mostly pushups, 1 sports bra, 1 strapless, 2 seamless
10 pairs of underwear
5 pairs of socks
5 pairs of nylons
6 pairs of tights
4 pairs of nice socks
3 slips
1 skirt slip
1 girdle
1 pair of controlling undies

I hadn't thought about letting someone else sew up something, but that would be awesome, letting someone else do all the work. I'll have to be really selective of my patterns when deciding which one to bring. :) So your friend did it, how did he like it or not?

The Shirt

Practically Family
He adored it. I think he even stayed an extra year. I believe he taught the little wee ones too - I get the best mental picture of him towering over them.

Do you have something set up already? If my memory serves he set his job up thru a young woman I used to work at a design firm with. I could track her down if you'd like.

anabolina

A-List Customer
Wow that would be wonderful. I've been corresponding with several recruiters and haven't found what I'm looking for, I'd love to talk to her if she's still doing recruitment.

Snookie

Practically Family
The Shirt said:
Isn't that the land of incredibly cheap tailors though?

I was thinking this too...I bet you could hunt/post in the guys' threads for cheap tailor advice -- I think at least a couple of them have had things made in various Asian countries.

Otherwise, I don't have much to offer except, I think I'd bring more than 10 pairs of underwear. You might not get to do laundry very often (unless you're okay with handwashing).

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
I agree, I would bring at least two weeks worth of underwear. Maybe a couple more blouses and sweaters? What about some kind of yoga pants or pajama bottoms for around the house? Slippers or fuzzy socks? A swimsuit just in case? Sorry, I know these are kind of random suggestions, just throwing out anything that comes to mind. Good luck, it sounds like such an exciting experience :)

carter

I'll Lock Up
I spent 21 months assigned to United Nations Headquarters (HQUNC J-3) in the early 70's. You need to be aware that Korea can have incredibly cold winters and even more incredibly wet monsoon seasons. Be prepared.

I wasn't buying civilian clothes at the time but there are lots of tailors in Seoul and a great deal to see and do. There is a lot of historic architecture in Seoul and some fantastic markets as I remember. I have a lot of slides if I can find them around here.

PM me if you want to discuss Korea before you make the move.

nyx

One of the Regulars
anabolina said:
Wow that would be wonderful. I've been corresponding with several recruiters and haven't found what I'm looking for, I'd love to talk to her if she's still doing recruitment.

I thought about this option after I got my English degree, and I found quite a few websites that offered some great information. Just be sure that you read your contract very carefully. I've heard some horror stories about not getting paid, having passports held by the school, getting a passable salary but finding you have to pay your own rent, and wanting to leave and the school refusing to buy a return ticket.

I'm definitely not discouraging you, because I think it's a great opportunity, but please be cautious! Good luck! :)

anabolina

A-List Customer
Thanks ya'll. It's so hard to settle on a wardrobe that isn't too big nor too small.

Yes, I've read a lot of thosde horror stories too Nyx and started thinking about this back when I finished my BA in 2004, but decided to go a little closer to home in Wyoming. It was great. I've decded to think positively and make sure I check out the school with other teachers and boards before agreeing. I've read just as many success stories as horror stories(or almost as many), so I've finally built up the nerve to go for it. :)

Okay, so maybe I should add:

10 pairs of underwear(hey they're small)
2 swimsuits(a one peice and a takini)
I think I'll bring 2 yoga pants. They are just so comfy.
I've only picked 2 jeans because I only have 2 pairs of jeans that really fit me well and I look good in and since I don't wear jeans very much and probably won't wear them to work very much as a teacher either.
I'll look through the tops I currently have and try to decide what else will work. Hmmm..

Thanks Carter, too bad I went to Germany back in 2002 to 2003 and don;t have any of my cold winter stuf left. I love Texas. :) Since I'll be arriving in March, I wonder if I should bring a heavy coat or hope I can pick one up somewhere in the following Fall. I think the average temp in March is 49 for the high and 35 for the low. That seems cold, but medum weight cold for me? The again I probably won't be able to find a coat in my size when the weather get cold anyway. <sigh, a little bit>

Any other suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn