Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turn Of The Century Photos Of Philadelphia's Shibe Park

MattJH

One Too Many
Some great hat shots here for everyone that I wanted to share.

Philadelphia Athletics - Shibe Park

a_012.jpg

The Philadelphia Athletics' Shibe Park, shown here in this undated photograph, opened in 1909. Originally named for one of the club's initial owners, Benjamin Shibe, the park was renamed Connie Mack Stadium in 1953. The legendary Mack became the sole owner in 1936. The stadium was demolished in 1976.

a_002.jpg

The line for tickets. 1911.

a_004.jpg

Outside the ballpark. 1914.

a_008.jpg

Years before Cub fans near Wrigley climbed to the top of their homes, fans at Shibe Park took to the rooftops by the hundreds. Here they're shown watching the 1914 World Series.

a_006.jpg

Until recently, Cubs management largely ignored the rooftop owners. But Athletics owner Connie Mack was not so forgiving. After an unsuccessful lawsuit against the ballpark's neighbors, Mack ordered in 1933 the construction of a 33-foot-tall "spite fence" to block the view from the rooftops.

a_010.jpg

Telegraph operators. 1913.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My old Dad might well have visiting Shibe Park in it's heyday. He was born in Ardmore (Main Line) in 1901. Heck, my Grandfather's bricks might have built the place for all I know! Thanks for the trip back in time!

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
By the way, there was a Connie Mack field in West Palm Beach, FL where might Dad moved us when he retired. I remember him telling my Connie Mack real name of Cornelius McGillicuddy - I could hardly pronounce it!

-dixon cannon

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Cool pics! The only time I ever saw Schibe Park was in the early 70's, after it had burned, but before it was finally pulled down. We drove by in the early twilight, and you could see the twisted girders above the exterior facade against the sky. A very heartbreaking sight indeed.
Remember that old Sinatra song. "There Used to be a Ballpark Right Here"?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Dixon Cannon said:
Connie Mack real name of Cornelius McGillicuddy
Lucy (I Love Lucy) was a McGillicuddy....Lucille Esmeralda "Lucy" McGillicuddy-Ricardo........

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
From the last photo it is almost as if the fashion changed from Homburgs to side dented fedoras...and there is not a front pinch in sight...great photos!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80