Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

Some Navajo and Hopi art worn recently in Boulder.

colorado_native.jpg

Thanks!

I thought everyone in Colorado would be wearing this stuff and boots and big western hats, but it was more Patagonia and granola (young and old).

Landman

One Too Many
Beautiful outfit, Alan. I love that belt!

I have a quick question for the experts. I have an old bolo tie made of silver, turquoise and leather. The maker's mark on it is "E. Belone, Sterling". It has been in the drawer for quite awhile and the silver is a little tarnished. What is the best way to polish it without damaging the leather and turquoise? I don't think I can remove the silver tips from the leather strings without damaging the leather. Should I just use regular silver polish or is there something better? I'll try to take some pictures of it once I get it cleaned up. Thanks.

Hi Mike... I would start with a jewelers cloth. Most jewelers and some department store jewelry departments will sell them. They are flannel, usually two cloths in one, with one treated with a chemical to aid in the removal of tarnish. There is a fine line between removing tarnish and removing patina. These cloths will progress slowly enough to allow you to stop before you cross the line. Abrasive silver polish used for silverware and service is not a good choice for jewelry.

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
A really good friend found himself in one Hell of Health crisis... he was sent home under Hospice Care... he knew I had been out to the Monument Valley area of Arizona quite often. His request was that I take his ashes out West to a really nice place, and scatter them.

When the time came, he and I drove out West from the Mississippi Delta... and I found a lovely spot just outside of Taos, NM to scatter some of his ashes. That was rather emotional... much more difficult that I ever imagined it would be. Anyway, afterwards, I was shopping in a really neat antique store in Taos... where I found these cuff links. I decided that they would come home with me as a memento of my trip with my good friend, Larry.

links.JPG

I trust you are resting well, Scooter..

~shoes~

Thanks Harv. I like it too. Went to wind my watch the other day and found the mainspring broken. Just had it replaced two years ago. I think I am going to wear art on my wrist for a while.

This is a small (5/8" wide) older cuff that I bought to give to my wife for the holidays. It is unmarked, attributed to a collaboration between Navajo silversmith Roger Skeet (sr.) and Zuni lapidarist Lambert Homer - somewhere 1930s - 1950s.

skeet1.jpg

skeet2.jpg

skeet3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran