Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

Sterling is .925. Coin silver is .900. Native American Jewelry was made using both. Many later pieces (50s and later) are marked sterling.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
So sorry . Just realized that I might have removed my pictures.
Here its another one of the Squash Blossom Necklace, my wife doesn't care so much for - for your enjoyment:
DSCF1546.jpg

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have a couple of pieces left from the days when I used to ride. Lots of the guys and girls wore a lot of sterling and turquoise. I think I still have a silver wedding band inlaid with reversed quoise triangles, and silver money clip with a piece of quiose in it.

So after purchasing the hat band posted previously, I've gone a little off the deep end for mid-century Navajo jewelry. This belt buckle dates from the 1940s and is stamped with the hallmark of the Navajo Arts and Crafts Guild. Ambrose Roanhorse (the artist who made the hat band) was the first director of the NACG. It's as big and heavy (about 5 ounces) as it looks.

navajo_belt.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Stunning buckle!

Here's a simple ring that my mother bought for me 45 years ago when we were on a camping trip near Pala, California. There was a roadside stand in the middle of nowhere, with a Native American artisan selling his work.

Pardon the ancient fingers.

imagelie.jpg

Last edited:

giovanni

Familiar Face
Those are some beautiful pieces, especially the hat...wow

I've always loved Navajo Turquoise jewelry, and South Western turquoise stuff in general. Do you guys know of good shops?

I am considering buying this one, but I don't know much about turquoise buckles so I've been researching:

bgr4_2010.jpg

howardeye

Practically Family
Very interesting pieces. Over the years I have seen many pieces of this jewelry. Years back they were very reasonably priced, however I never purchased any, ( wish I had). One thing I noticed about the silver was it was either marked .925 Mexico or .925 Siam Silver.
I have never seen any pieces made with Sterling Silver or.999
Anyway great pieces, thanks everyone for sharing.
Best regards
CCJ

.925 is Sterling Silver. The greatest invention of modern alloys is Argentium Sterling Silver that was invented in England in the 90's. It is brighter than gold, platinum, and traditional sterling silver. Most of the copper has been removed and replaced with germanium. Argentium is tarnish resistant, does not turn black when heated with a torch, and does not effect people who are allergic to silver. I am a silversmith and use this higher priced sterling silver in all my creations. The silver content of the Argentium I use is .930. One of my hat chains can be viewed on this page. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?19520-What-Hat-Are-You-Wearing-Today/page4887

By the way, that is a magnificant silver hat belt posted by Alan!

Last edited:
That's very nice, Bert... good luck. Here is a mid-century ring with a #8 stone that has similar matrix. Pardon the fingers, which are somewhat older than Randalls. ;)

navajo_ring.jpg

Those are some beautiful pieces, especially the hat...wow

I've always loved Navajo Turquoise jewelry, and South Western turquoise stuff in general. Do you guys know of good shops?

I am considering buying this one, but I don't know much about turquoise buckles so I've been researching:

Thanks Giovanni. Ebay is an incredible shop for Native jewelry... daunting, actually. Like with hats, you have to dive in somewhere and learn the ropes as you go. I have only skimmed the surface. There are a small number of historic makers whose work is rare in the market and in demand when it appears. Other than these, you should buy things that call out to you. That buckle is nice with a very new look. I lean towards older pieces myself. Buckles feel good when they have some weight.

Have fun!

.925 is Sterling Silver. The greatest invention of modern alloys is Argentium Sterling Silver that was invented in England in the 90's. It is brighter than gold, platinum, and traditional sterling silver. Most of the copper has been removed and replaced with germanium. Argentium is tarnish resistant, does not turn black when heated with a torch, and does not effect people who are allergic to silver. I am a silversmith and use this higher priced sterling silver in all my creations. The silver content of the Argentium I use is .930. One of my hat chains can be viewed on this page. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?19520-What-Hat-Are-You-Wearing-Today/page4887

By the way, that is a magnificant silver hat belt posted by Alan!

Very interesting... I'd love to see more of you silver work. With older silver pieces, the patina is cherished. A lot of old pawn jewelry that comes up on ebay seems to have been worked over with silver polish and the life is completely washed out of it. I just purchased an old pendant made in the 1950s by a collected Navajo artist that looks almost black in the photos. I'd like to use a cloth to brighten it a bit, but knowing when to stop will be a challenge.

Last edited:
Randall, I love your ring and its provenance.

Here is another piece that came out of the Navajo Arts and Crafts Guild. From the style, it might very well have been made by Ambrose Roanhorse - the artist behind the hat band posted earlier. Makers did not put their mark on these pieces, only the horned sun hallmark of the Guild.

nacg_bracelet.jpg

howardeye

Practically Family
Are you sure we are not related. That band ring is my kind of style. Great looking #8 stone also. This is what I wear most all the time. Yes, I am a nut. Steve Yellowhorse, Steven Begay, and Daren Bill (deceased) are my favorite artists. Steve Yellowhorse is the main one who inspired me to to get into the business. I will post some of his work also. You can view my work on my facebook page in my photo albums. A lot of past work. My favorite media to work with is Fossil Woolly Mammoth Ivory Tusk and Teeth mostly found in Siberia.

Last edited:

howardeye

Practically Family
BEAUTIFUL JEWELRY EVERYONE. I LIKE IT ALL. Some of our Turquoise Work by Steve Yellowhorse Gallup, NM. Blue Diamond, Royston, Damale, stones I think. Rings are my wife's. Chain made by me.

Last edited:
More bolos:

2bolos2.jpg

On the left, by an unknown Zuni artist... on the right, a Navajo bolo executed in Hopi overlay style by Leonard and Marion Nez.

... and more bolos:

2bolos3.jpg

On the left, Navajo shadowbox style with nice Lavender Pit Bisbee stones... on the right, from an unknown Zuni artisan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ