Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turquoise/Native American jewelry

Pearls and pomegranates

A557F19C-9434-4B0F-A1CD-C719A6C66D53.jpeg

Really nice Greg... thanks for posting it.

Thank you, Alan. Just know I hold you responsible, at least in part for my education about such jewelry. I’ve long been an admirer but I’ve never worn anything beyond a watch and a wedding band. When I decided I wanted a cuff I didn’t understand what a rabbit hole it can be.

I knew I wanted something substantial as I’ve always been rough on watches. I had no particular makers in mind and I wasn’t too concerned with if it was vintage or contemporary so long as it had a traditional look and I wasn’t going to spend a ton. A Google search for heavy Native cuffs produces a lot of hits so I spent some hours wading through and started focusing on items made by folks of the last name Bill, Tahe and a couple of others. I admire the heavy stamp and overlay work of Emerson and Darin Bill which then Led to Elvira Bill. I also found a real problem with a heavy cuff. Finding one that fits. They don’t adjust but at 125 grams I’m surprised at how comfortably it wears.

Thank you, Alan. Just know I hold you responsible, at least in part for my education about such jewelry. I’ve long been an admirer but I’ve never worn anything beyond a watch and a wedding band. When I decided I wanted a cuff I didn’t understand what a rabbit hole it can be.

I knew I wanted something substantial as I’ve always been rough on watches. I had no particular makers in mind and I wasn’t too concerned with if it was vintage or contemporary so long as it had a traditional look and I wasn’t going to spend a ton. A Google search for heavy Native cuffs produces a lot of hits so I spent some hours wading through and started focusing on items made by folks of the last name Bill, Tahe and a couple of others. I admire the heavy stamp and overlay work of Emerson and Darin Bill which then Led to Elvira Bill. I also found a real problem with a heavy cuff. Finding one that fits. They don’t adjust but at 125 grams I’m surprised at how comfortably it wears.

Sounds like you thought it through well. I find cuffs the most wearable native art. I wear a cuff on most days. You might know that Michael Schmaltz (former member here @Michaelshane) is a notable silversmith whose work is well respected and collected. He has shared work and commented in this thread in the past. Here is one of his pieces (sold):

http://abbykentflythefineart.com/index.php?fuseaction=products.product&Record_ID=270

Sounds like you thought it through well. I find cuffs the most wearable native art. I wear a cuff on most days. You might know that Michael Schmaltz (former member here @Michaelshane) is a notable silversmith whose work is well respected and collected. He has shared work and commented in this thread in the past. Here is one of his pieces (sold):

http://abbykentflythefineart.com/index.php?fuseaction=products.product&Record_ID=270

Thanks, Alan. I miss Michael’s postings. I became aware of his work when I went back to the beginning of the thread doing research before my purchase. He produces some beautiful work and that cuff is no exception. I was actually on that site yesterday and didn’t see that. I saw some beautiful pieces and a whole lot of “price upon request”. I did a lot of scrolling.

Thanks, Alan. I miss Michael’s postings. I became aware of his work when I went back to the beginning of the thread doing research before my purchase. He produces some beautiful work and that cuff is no exception. I was actually on that site yesterday and didn’t see that. I saw some beautiful pieces and a whole lot of “price upon request”. I did a lot of scrolling.
It's a nice gallery site to scroll through. Another you might enjoy is Steve and Dottie Diament's Fine Arts of the Southwest. I've bought a few pieces from them over the years and acquired a few others that have passed through their hands at some point. Good folks and very knowledgable as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy