Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two paintings of my mother from the late 40's.

caul

New in Town
Hello! Wasn't sure where to post this but I thought some of you might get a kick of seeing these. My dad had these painted from my mom's high school graduation photo, when he was stationed overseas. He was in the army, right out of high school. I don't remember the exact time period and both my parents are deceased. I know it was probably 48-49.

mom by arcocelli, on Flickr

caul

New in Town
thanks! she definitely had some hair, which luckily, us kids inherited from her. I don't think this type of thing was too uncommon back then (having painting or drawings done) but it doesn't seem like anyone does it anymore, outside of maybe getting a charicature done. I also have two portraits, one each of mom and dad that were done at a state fair. They're both side views, done in pencil. I have't gotten any of this stuff out since they both passed, which was in 2007. I think I'm going to see about getting these cleaned up so I can hang them.

The other thing I like about these paintings is that the both have given my mom an "Asian" look (for lack of a better term). I'm trying to remember but I think the one on the right was done in Japan. The one on the left may have been Hong Kong.

Last edited:

marxalot

New in Town
We have some very nice tinted photographs (similar to portraits in that style) of my grandmother and great aunt, as well as their mother, which date from around that time and earlier. Of my grandmother have have one which I know was done around the time of her marriage (1948) and one done from an earlier picture; of her mother, the photo itself was taken in the mid-30s and then tinted. My mother is scanning and archiving all the old photos for the family (as the old folks are getting on and there are a lot of us younger ones!)- I'll have to hit her up for digital copies so I can post them here. Vintage photography and portraiture frequently has a quality our digital resolution simply lacks-- plus, you notice how different people honestly looked back then! Those are lovely examples you've got there, of a lovely lady.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran