Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Tone / Duplex hats popular in 1915

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Scott, did you have an ad showing the Dunlap brand duplex? I believe that Knox acquired Dunlap in 1919 which would have been a little after the Knox ads shown in the opening posts to this thread.

I thought I had originally dated the hat to late 1930's, based on ad ad(s) that showed one with a similar crown to yours. I don't remember seeing the ads in this thread, but they are intriguing - amazing that more of the first duplex-style hats haven't shown up.

RJR

Mike; Your hat must draw plenty of attention. They are so very unique. The colors on that duplex hat are very unique. The pug ties it together oh so well. Is it a custom pug? Man I will have to sleep more often so that my dreams have room for all the magnificent duplexes.
+1

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Question about these tow tone style of hats. To make one of these hats does the hatter block the part of that hat that will be the crown at 2 sizes larger than the client's hat size, and the brim part at 1 size larger than the clients hat size?

Example: client wears a 7 1/8, normally a hat would be blocked on 7 1/4 to allow room for the sweat. So I would think that the crown in this case is blocked at 7 3/8 and the brim portion on the 7 1/4 so they can be sewn together and allow room for the sweat.

Does this sound reasonable?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Question about these tow tone style of hats. To make one of these hats does the hatter block the part of that hat that will be the crown at 2 sizes larger than the client's hat size, and the brim part at 1 size larger than the clients hat size?

Example: client wears a 7 1/8, normally a hat would be blocked on 7 1/4 to allow room for the sweat. So I would think that the crown in this case is blocked at 7 3/8 and the brim portion on the 7 1/4 so they can be sewn together and allow room for the sweat.

Does this sound reasonable?
A 7-1/8 block is 58 cm in circumference. That's what you would use for a 7-1/8 hat. You should not use a size larger to allow room for the sweat.

So the brim-hat would be blocked on a 7-1/8 block. I believe, the crown-hat would be blocked a size bigger, though :)

buler

I'll Lock Up
A duplex in the wild back in the day.

1695296310821.png

1695296207100.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider