Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Tone / Duplex hats popular in 1915

buler

I'll Lock Up
It seems they tried almost everything with hats before 1920. Including two tone felt hats and felt brims with straw crowns.

B

two_tone_sept_1915.jpg

knox_apr_1915.jpg

knox_strawfelt_apr_1915.jpg

knox_may_1915.jpg

knox_jul_1915.jpg

frank_kat_duplex_1915.jpg

tu_tone_1915.jpg

whirl_duplex_1915.jpg

two_tone_burbank_1915.jpg

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
One the the straw hats in the 1936 Hat Life I posted was a felt brim and straw crown and was stated that it was a popular style for the time.
In a time when everyone was wearing a hat I can see where these Two Tone hats would be popular.
As Lefty posted Rocky Mountain Hat Company makes three styles of Two Tone hats in the same colors thou.
mg_2043.jpg

mg_2044.jpg

mg_1815.jpg

Rocky Mountain Hat company

There are some nice color combo's in the ad's. Any other Hatter making this type of hat today.

The panama crown is placed over the felt body that extends upwards from the flange a little to accept the seam. It is finished quite nicely.

dunlap2.jpg

You can also see what I believe is a Sizor adjustment ribbon. I'd have to go back and look more carefully. Here is a 1938 ad for Dunlap/Knox with more info.

sizor5.jpg

Last edited:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Dunlap duplex hat. Era unknown - perhaps WWII or earlier.

dunlap5.jpg

If that is the one I 'first' owned, and sold about 2-3 years ago, relevant information is posted somewhere in the forum, along with the approximate age.

Yes Scott... it is the one you sold. More photos and details posted in this thread.

On dating, I seem to remember you thinking the hat as earlier than I believe it is. My guess is somewhere in the range from 1938 and 1945, based on the Sizor patent and on the manufacturing tag, which appears to be a 1940s HCA variant.

Does a Milan and Paja Toquilla combination count?

I always drool in this thread...

This unusual lid (THANK YOU, Strapped4cache!!) is a dual straw material example from Knox. The crown is a Panama weave, and the brim is a braided wheat Milan.

I need to spend some time on this hat; a worthwhile project!

A peek at the seam...

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Yes Scott... it is the one you sold. More photos and details posted in this thread.

On dating, I seem to remember you thinking the hat as earlier than I believe it is. My guess is somewhere in the range from 1938 and 1945, based on the Sizor patent and on the manufacturing tag, which appears to be a 1940s HCA variant.

That's not the thread I was referring to, but thanks. My dating was based on the advertising for the hat, but I guess it's possible that the advertising came out before the patent.

Scott, did you have an ad showing the Dunlap brand duplex? I believe that Knox acquired Dunlap in 1919 which would have been a little after the Knox ads shown in the opening posts to this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot