Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Typewriters Are Back

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I learned to type on an IBM Selectric III in highschool. I know my sister, who was about two years ahead of me, learned on a manual machine.

When I first joined the AF, I was a teletype operator. Yep, in good ol' 1983, we were still using 1960's equipment. Things were slowing being phased out to the first computer systems.

I used a manual in typewriting class around 1970. While in the service, although computers were around, I was once asked to update (in the field) a list of medals/ribbons qualifications, using a manual typewriter; any mistakes made automatically (technically) directed the paperwork to the "round filing cabinet," since carbon copies were produced under the originals and could not be erased. Needless to say, I typed slowly and carefully...

Warden

One Too Many
Made the Daily Mail in the UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1387779/Who-needs-keyboard-plug-typewriter-computer.html

article-0-0C1972A800000578-285_634x568.jpg

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I completely ignored my mom's advice to learn to type. Another in a long line of things she gets to laugh at me for ignoring. The USB typewriters are on the charming side, but I'd rather that modern designers of computers would on occasion veer away from the techie look of computers and other electronic devices. I do like my Star Trek inspired gadgetry, but I'd like some more aesthetically diverse choices. In the Steampunk category, I adore http://www.datamancer.net/.
steampunklaptop_tn.jpg

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
While in the Army Medical Corps 1959-61, I served as the Company Clerk for a Dispensary Unit in Alaska. Think "Radar":
camp_office00.jpg

My primary job was to produce the Morning Report every day. This report was done on a manual typewriter and it had to be absolutely perfect; no erasures, strike overs, etc. After getting it signed by the Company Commander (an Airborne Major), I took it to an eagle-eyed administrative clerk at the Fort HQ, who went over it with a magnifying glass! Any slight imperfections found and it was back to the Major with a retyped copy.

Thus the obsessive-compulsive features that develop in a peace time (cold war) Army.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner